We saw it... now, can the "pistol" be effective ? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We saw it... now, can the "pistol" be effective ?

Can the "pistol" be effective ?

• Yes

Votes: 46 49.5%
  • No

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 24 25.8%
  • Pistol ? what is this, an NRA message board ?

Votes: 10 10.8%

• Total voters
If we're really going to utilize the pistol...draft that Kaepernick kid from UNR.

I am a Wolf Pack alumni and live in Reno. The pistol is extremely effective and Kaepernick is something else. He would do better than White.

I am a Wolf Pack alumni and live in Reno. The pistol is extremely effective and Kaepernick is something else. He would do better than White.

Haven't watched much of this team, i just know they abundantly use the pistol (my prep school coach implemented the wolf pack pistol offence so that's how i know about them...)

but we have a QB on the team who could very easily run the pistol, and his name is tyler thigpen... he is familiar with the spread offence (although it's different, some concepts are similar about the pistol). On a sidenote i think that may be why we traded for thigpen... the guy can back up henne and i think he can also back up white in some specific packages ... we haven't seen him hit the field but believe me he's a valuable asset, being able to back up both QB who run different offences

EDIT: even more conclusive, i just found out that the chiefs implemented the pistol in KC when thigpen was there... they didn't ran it full time, but he has taken snaps out of it

Guys you can't be telling us to be patient with Henne and then bash Pat White. That is speaking out of both sides of your mouth. Look at it this way as the season is progressing we are seeing more of a threat and production out of the plays White is used. This is a good thing for us as DOLPHIN fans! I was on record questioning a lot of things about Henne from what I saw in college, but the minute he became a starter I said I will support him until he proves he can't do it.

Pat White is a rookie QB, who is being ask to go in mid game with limited practice time and make a difference. The fact that he is now starting to make a impact warrants some respect for him from this fan base. GIVE THE ROOKIE A BREAK! Come on guys defenses are now preparing for a lot more schemes thanks to what he did in New England.

Guys you can't be telling us to be patient with Henne and then bash Pat White. That is speaking out of both sides of your mouth. Look at it this way as the season is progressing we are seeing more of a threat and production out of the plays White is used. This is a good thing for us as DOLPHIN fans! I was on record questioning a lot of things about Henne from what I saw in college, but the minute he became a starter I said I will support him until he proves he can't do it.

Pat White is a rookie QB, who is being ask to go in mid game with limited practice time and make a difference. The fact that he is now starting to make a impact warrants some respect for him from this fan base. GIVE THE ROOKIE A BREAK! Come on guys defenses are now preparing for a lot more schemes thanks to what he did in New England.

couldn't agree more...

and, if people think it's hard for henne to get in rhytmn, imagine pat white... the guy comes in for 10 snaps a game, rhytmn ? i don't think he even understands this word anymore.

Pat White needs to bulk up at least 30 pounds or he is going to die next time he runs out like that, Pat White needs to calm down and follow thru hes passes before he gets int for a TD, but overall he is a rookie after all, hell of a job for the little things he has done this year, not much more expected from him, at least on my sideline.

couldn't agree more...

and, if people think it's hard for henne to get in rhytmn, imagine pat white... the guy comes in for 10 snaps a game, rhytmn ? i don't think he even understands this word anymore.

I played Qb in college for a DII school, my first game as a freshman I was ask to come off the bench and throw one deep to spark the offense. We were playing a D1aa school. To say the least it was very intense, the speed things happened at as opposed to practice was amazing. Letting Henne take a few plays off isn't a bad thing, it is letting him take a look at the defense. I know he did this before he was a starter, but it is much different after you are playing. Not to mention Henne has been throwing around 30 times the last few starts that is way to much for his progression right now.

The pistol change of pace with White backed up the defense and helped Henne out.

Pat White needs to bulk up at least 30 pounds or he is going to die next time he runs out like that, Pat White needs to calm down and follow thru hes passes before he gets int for a TD, but overall he is a rookie after all, hell of a job for the little things he has done this year, not much more expected from him, at least on my sideline.

Putting 30lbs on White will take away from what he does best.

Putting 30lbs on White will take away from what he does best.

I really dont think he will lose that much speed 20-30 pounds extra the guys 6'0ft tall 215 would not make him a couch potato, hes 180! Sproles is 180 and what hes 5'6, What good does it do for you to have a running QB that might get killed or injured or fumble running the ball. But then again Hes nothing but a QB he shouldnt be out there running out there, Wildcat or not.

I really liked what I saw from White and the formation. Before we implemented it Sunday, our Offense wasn't doing anything. White will obviously have to pass from the formation for it to be successful, but I think he's a capable passer. He just needs some realistic opportunities.

Pat White is a hell of a runner, I thought he was going to house that run. Looked just like the WVU days out there.

Yeah, he should've kept on going instead of cutting to the inside like he did before gettin stopped.

I hope he beefs up during the offseason and starts working QB/RB hybrid drills with Ronnie.

I have a feeling that NFL D.Co'ds will just spread LBs to the outsides of the box to stop this formation. How effectively can a team run dives or other plays between the tackles from this set?

Yeah, he should've kept on going instead of cutting to the inside like he did before gettin stopped.

I hope he beefs up during the offseason and starts working QB/RB hybrid drills with Ronnie.

I have a feeling that NFL D.Co'ds will just spread LBs to the outsides of the box to stop this formation. How effectively can a team run dives or other plays between the tackles from this set?

Florida runs dives very well from the Pistol. Tebow's first game back from the concussion, Florida ran the dive almost exclusively, and it worked.

Power running out of the pistol is not a problem at all, i'd say there's one big pro and one big con.

since the distance between the QB and the RB is very shorter, the exchange between both takes less time by far.

Pro: it's harder to react for linebackers, because it's a shotgun snap, white is right in position to throw a quick slant or a hook route to the TE ... and the other hard thing to react to is the running back gets the ball in his hands a lot quicker than in a conventional I formation

Con: really hard to run misdirection plays out of the pistol... the way to keep defenders honest is faking runs and such, running the option, while out of the I, the best way to keep backside defenders honest is by running misdirection plays. Why is it a con ? because we've had MUCH success with those, and to get away from them is not a good thing IMO. But lately, our rushing attack has struggled so it might not be too farfetched to try and mix things up

I think he disrupts a promising young QB's growth and rythm, and all for little results. We don't have time to play around anymore, it's time to a take a stand and roll in the Win column. Let Henne take command of this team because you know it has to bother him.

I think he disrupts a promising young QB's growth and rythm, and all for little results. We don't have time to play around anymore, it's time to a take a stand and roll in the Win column. Let Henne take command of this team because you know it has to bother him.

Look at it this way, that disruption resulted in mass confusion to New England's defense that resulted in a TD drive. We hadn't done that to that point. Right now no vertical threat and a rash of drops is hurting Henne's progression. The change of pace with the wildcat and pistol is the only thing we have that is remotely keeping the defenses honest. Even the crap Bucs have a good enough secondary to go man with our receivers and come after Henne. We will have to do things to keep them honest.

I think that THIGPEN should start filling PENNY's role in the WILDCAT as soon as he develops some timing w/our WRs and TEs. But the REAL test won't come/show much at all, until THIGPEN and WHITE get to try RW's role in the WILDCAT, and transform that role into a "pass/run option"...AND until both THIGPEN and WHITE are 100% at home with the "shotgun" as a "pass/run option" formation as well . That means that they must develop QB/WR "chemistry", and "chemistry" takes much more time.

Back
Top Bottom