We saw it... now, can the "pistol" be effective ? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We saw it... now, can the "pistol" be effective ?

Can the "pistol" be effective ?

• Yes

Votes: 46 49.5%
  • No

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 24 25.8%
  • Pistol ? what is this, an NRA message board ?

Votes: 10 10.8%

• Total voters
Look at it this way, that disruption resulted in mass confusion to New England's defense that resulted in a TD drive. We hadn't done that to that point. Right now no vertical threat and a rash of drops is hurting Henne's progression. The change of pace with the wildcat and pistol is the only thing we have that is remotely keeping the defenses honest. Even the crap Bucs have a good enough secondary to go man with our receivers and come after Henne. We will have to do things to keep them honest.

that, and another thing that's not helping henne at all is getting hit like he is...

imagine if we took out the wildcat, pistol, and every other fancy formation we have out of our playbook !... henne would go down with an injury as soon as next week, because he'd have to do something extra to generate points and he would just take more sacks/hits, i can guarantee you that

henne is ready to play in the nfl, it's the guys around him that aren't (especially at WR and some big question marks at TE. The oline is also fairly young or inexperienced) so give this offence some time, let the production come from wherever it can, and keep our henne injury free ... it sounds good to me

that, and another thing that's not helping henne at all is getting hit like he is...

imagine if we took out the wildcat, pistol, and every other fancy formation we have out of our playbook !... henne would go down with an injury as soon as next week, because he'd have to do something extra to generate points and he would just take more sacks/hits, i can guarantee you that

henne is ready to play in the nfl, it's the guys around him that aren't (especially at WR and some big question marks at TE. The oline is also fairly young or inexperienced) so give this offence some time, let the production come from wherever it can, and keep our henne injury free ... it sounds good to me

Those hits go right to not having a vertical passing threat or dominate receiver. No body draws a double coverage makes it real easy to blitz and blitz multiple players. One thing I have notice when we do have Ginn in the game and our attempting to stretch the field, he is always lined up on Henne's left. Well when the defenses bring the heat Henne stays focused to the right or his front side. Happened a few times in the New England game and the second Jets game. Two ways to solve this presnap read and see you have single coverage with no safety, take your drop and launch it deep throwing to a spot. Or get Ginn on the front side of Henne's vision until you are able to back the defense off. Once again not defending Ginn just trying to find away to use him to our advantage.

Everyone waited for Pat White to come out and shine one time this year... the fins chose the new england game to unveil their new formation with White: the pistol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol_offense

Many of you have seen it in college, with florida, nevada, and others running it very often and being succesful...

For those who don't have a clue what i'm talking about, the pistol is the shotgun formation where the QB is slightly closer to the center, the full back is next to the QB and the running back is behind the QB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSjeo3CixOY

So basically, this is an Offset I formation with the QB getting a shotgun snap. (well, that's how we run it ... you can take out the fullback and add a third receiver, or take our your TE for an extra receiver, etc etc... but for now our package is as mentionned, an offset I with a tight end and two receivers)

White wasn't exceptional sunday, neither was the pistol, but they both had their moments. When we drafted white, i knew anything from an option-based scheme would be implemented and ran by white, it was simply a matter of time. Well, the time has come. I don't know how effective it can be, but here are some "indicators":

1- pat white is an ace when it comes to running option schemes, he understands them perfectly
2- pat white has speed, and he's not scared to lower the shoulder
3- you can't blitz the pistol like you can blitz the wildcat, it's a completely different animal
4- there's blueprint for success with the pistol when you watch some ncaa teams
5- the pistol offence is a way to keep a QB in the shotgun where it's easier to throw, while maintaining an effective power running game ... this is something that rhymes with the miami dolphins if you ask me...

the main key IMO to the devellopment of the Pistol, is pat white's ability to throw... if he proves he can hurt defenses and make them respect the passing game, this could be a very, VERY, effective formation.
very interesting but whos gonna catch the ball once he starts throwing well?

very interesting but whos gonna catch the ball once he starts throwing well?

Can you steal those claws from the guy in your Avatar? We could paint them like gloves and then maybe Teddy Bear can stab the ball.

Pat White is a bust. I am sorry if anyone is offended by this startling fact, but he was drafted for the wildcat, and has done nothing to improve the team.

So at this point last year were you saying Henne was a bust?? He is half way through his first season, I think it may be a little premature to say he is a bust.

Pat White looked so scared when he ran for like 20 yards. Did you see his face?

When pat white is in it really seems like whatever play he runs it develops slowwwwwwwlllyyy.

That is really funny. I see things exactly the opposite. It seems to me he is rushing the play, like he doesn't trust his blocking. Like on the QB draw he didn't drop back to let the OL set up the blocks he just took off. It seems to me he has yet to get a comfortable feel for the game, but I think he will get it in time.

I was against this pick in a big way on draft day, but he is a bit ahead of where I thought he would be to this point. I, for one, am willing to see what he can become.

So at this point last year were you saying Henne was a bust?? He is half way through his first season, I think it may be a little premature to say he is a bust.

No. the reason is, is that Henne was drafted to be the future at QB for us. The Henne pick was not a 'luxury' pick.

The Pat White pick was solely, IMO, to be used in the wildcat. He has added very little to the gameplan.If he were that good, wouldn't he be used 80% of the time in the wildcat offence?

Pat White was a luxury pick, and we couldn't afford a luxury pick. Look at the many holes that still needs to be filled. LB, Rushing lineman. I am sure that there would have been a starter, or at least a player who would have helped Miami with rotation as opposed to a 2 down player per game.

How is White a wasted pick after not even playing one season? He is the backup QB. Until he plays a few games I wouldn't make that type of judgement based on 1 or 2 plays that usually end up with him running with the ball or handing off to Brown.

The only place Pat White is known as a luxury pick is on this message board and local media. The people that run the show the ones we are suppose to trust with the future and success of the Dolphins see him as way more then a luxury pick. I will go out on a limb and say if we didn't get the explosive drive from the Pistol we would have been blown out on Sunday. Remember we weren't moving the ball at all!

The only place Pat White is known as a luxury pick is on this message board and local media. The people that run the show the ones we are suppose to trust with the future and success of the Dolphins see him as way more then a luxury pick. I will go out on a limb and say if we didn't get the explosive drive from the Pistol we would have been blown out on Sunday. Remember we weren't moving the ball at all!

You mean the drive that Henne was 5-5 for 45 yards????

You mean the drive that Henne was 5-5 for 45 yards????

I think you are confusing the first drive of the second half for the one I am talking about. The drive I am referring for happened in the 2qt until that point we weren't really moving the ball. I will paste the drive summary off of NFL.com.

Miami Dolphins at 09:05
3-S.Gostkowski kicks 70 yards from NE 30 to end zone, Touchback.
1-10-MIA 20
(9:05) direct snap to 23-Brown (Shotgun) 23-R.Brown up the middle to MIA 22 for 2 yards (94-T.Warren, 96-A.Thomas).
2-8-MIA 22
(8:23) MIA 6-White now at QB. (Shotgun) 6-P.White left end to NE 45 for 33 yards (51-J.Mayo, 95-T.Banta-Cain).
1-10-NE 45
(7:37) (Shotgun) 6-P.White up the middle to NE 41 for 4 yards (59-G.Guyton, 91-M.Pryor).
2-6-NE 41
(6:57) MIA 7-Henne now at QB. direct snap to 23-Brown (Shotgun) 34-R.Williams right end to NE 29 for 12 yards (51-J.Mayo).
1-10-NE 29
(6:22) 7-C.Henne pass incomplete short left to 83-G.Camarillo. PENALTY on NE-23-L.Bodden, Defensive Pass Interference, 14 yards, enforced at NE 29 - No Play.
1-10-NE 15
(6:17) MIA 6-White now at QB. (Shotgun) 34-R.Williams right end for 15 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
5-D.Carpenter extra point is GOOD, Center-92-J.Denney, Holder-2-B.Fields.

Henne was very good on the first drive of the 3rd qt I will list it below.

3-S.Gostkowski kicks 63 yards from NE 30 to MIA 7. 19-T.Ginn to MIA 34 for 27 yards (27-K.Arrington).
1-10-MIA 34
(14:55) 7-C.Henne pass short right to 15-D.Bess ran ob at MIA 40 for 6 yards.
2-4-MIA 40
(14:39) direct snap to 34-Williams (Shotgun) 34-R.Williams left guard to MIA 43 for 3 yards (51-J.Mayo, 95-T.Banta-Cain).
3-1-MIA 43
(13:59) 36-L.Polite up the middle to MIA 47 for 4 yards (91-M.Pryor).
1-10-MIA 47
(13:17) MIA 6-White now at QB. (Shotgun) 6-P.White left guard to MIA 48 for 1 yard (95-T.Banta-Cain).
2-9-MIA 48
(12:42) MIA 7-Henne now at QB. 7-C.Henne pass short left to 15-D.Bess pushed ob at NE 45 for 7 yards (23-L.Bodden).
3-2-NE 45
(12:11) 34-R.Williams left end to NE 44 for 1 yard (95-T.Banta-Cain, 75-V.Wilfork).
4-1-NE 44
(11:25) 36-L.Polite up the middle to NE 42 for 2 yards (91-M.Pryor, 51-J.Mayo).
1-10-NE 42
(10:48) 7-C.Henne pass short right to 23-R.Brown to NE 35 for 7 yards (59-G.Guyton, 96-A.Thomas).
2-3-NE 35
(10:02) direct snap to 23-Brown (Shotgun) 23-R.Brown left guard to NE 33 for 2 yards (28-D.Butler, 30-B.McGowan).
3-1-NE 33
(9:24) 7-C.Henne pass short right to 83-G.Camarillo to NE 19 for 14 yards (29-S.Springs, 30-B.McGowan).
1-10-NE 19
(8:37) MIA 6-White now at QB. (Shotgun) 6-P.White right end to NE 20 for -1 yards (96-A.Thomas, 31-B.Meriweather).
2-11-NE 20
(8:03) (Shotgun) 6-P.White up the middle to NE 14 for 6 yards (31-B.Meriweather, 51-J.Mayo).
3-5-NE 14
(7:18) MIA 7-Henne now at QB. 7-C.Henne pass short left to 83-G.Camarillo to NE 2 for 12 yards (23-L.Bodden, 25-P.Chung).
1-2-NE 2
(6:33) direct snap to 23-Brown. (Shotgun) 75-N.Garner reported in as eligible. 23-R.Brown left end to NE 1 for 1 yard (30-B.McGowan).
2-1-NE 1
(5:51) direct snap to 23-Brown. (Shotgun) 75-N.Garner reported in as eligible. 23-R.Brown up the middle to NE 1 for no gain (51-J.Mayo, 30-B.McGowan).
3-1-NE 1
(4:55) direct snap to 23-Brown. (Shotgun) 23-R.Brown pass short left to 81-J.Haynos for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN [95-T.Banta-Cain].

Here is the link for the entire game play by play.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009110805/2009/REG9/dolphins@patriots/recap#tab:analyze/analyze-channels:cat-post-playbyplay

All some of us are trying to say is as the season progresses we are seeing more production out of White.

Back
Top Bottom