What a good coach does! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What a good coach does!

Give Gase or any coach at least three seasons. Then the conversation on whether to keep him or fire him should start. Having said that, the Culter and Thomas move are a head scratcher.

Good post OP, however, something bothers me.

What bothers me is that, but for a hooker releasing a video of Foerester snorting his "white powdery substance", he would still be coaching our oline.

I'm not concerned about Gase losing the locker room, I AM however very concerned that he doesnt have a tight enough grip on his coaching staff.

I'm placing alot of the sloppy play on the coaching staff, because frankly, our players look totally unprepared. No, Gase can't micro-manage every player, he needs to rely on his staff, and I'm worried he is placing too much trust with guys who give less a **** about the team than the players we just parted ways with.

I hope Gase can get it all straightened out for us. I think he will. But I think he needs to take a long hard look at the guys he is relying on to get his message across.

Gase is going to be judged on the results of this.

Due to the circumstances of 2017, he is definitely going to get a pass from ownership on how things shake out, but will he get a pass from fans?

All I know is, if we go into 2018 healthy and without another hurricane + London trip combo, he'd better have the ship righted and winning or everyone's going to sour quickly.

Gase is 2 above average OGs away from 5-2. The record says 'good coach.' The 2 OGs not so much. Good HC. Poor OC.

Good post OP, however, something bothers me.

What bothers me is that, but for a hooker releasing a video of Foerester snorting his "white powdery substance", he would still be coaching our oline.

I'm not concerned about Gase losing the locker room, I AM however very concerned that he doesnt have a tight enough grip on his coaching staff.

I'm placing alot of the sloppy play on the coaching staff, because frankly, our players look totally unprepared. No, Gase can't micro-manage every player, he needs to rely on his staff, and I'm worried he is placing too much trust with guys who give less a **** about the team than the players we just parted ways with.

I hope Gase can get it all straightened out for us. I think he will. But I think he needs to take a long hard look at the guys he is relying on to get his message across.

I agree.
I saw a press conference on the dolphins website today where he did address this. He pointed out that many of the folks he would want are tied by contracts and commitments. It seems to me he has been approaching selecting his supporting coaches the same way he approaches selecting his players. I was glad to see that he must have been looking at his coaching force for some time, just as a general precaution. I remember when he was looking at positions he said one thing he had learned in his previous coaching interviews was that he had to have a viable staff already selected, or something to that effect.

You make some good points, OP.

Me personally, I have to say Gase has exceeded my expectations as a Head Coach. I actually thought he'd be a very good OC for us but would struggle being "the boss". Funny enough, it's been the other way around.

I wouldn't mind if he got himself an OC next year to call the plays, so he can continue to be the HC without having all that responsibility on offense. I doubt it'll happen, but I don't think it would be a bad move.

He might be a good HC but I'm convinced more and more every week that he's a bad offensive coordinator. You can't blame everything on the OL. There have been teams with worse OL's, hell we've had worse OL's and I've never seen a Miami offense this bad. To top it all off we're loaded with talent on that side of the ball also. Now I know we were screwed the minute Tannehill went down because a crappy OL, and a crappy QB is recipe for disaster but Gase seem perfectly content to stick with whatever plan or plays he has predetermined on offense no matter what he sees from opposing defenses. 8 men in the box... hey let's run it right up the middle, 2nd and long still 8 men in the box... hey maybe we'll fool them by running it right up the middle again, 3rd and long... let's thro a 2 yard pass, or what the hell... let's run it again. It's BS chicken **** playcalling and everyone knows it. I don't care about the players, but refusing to even attempt to take advantage of what the defense is doing is just flat put bad football.

You make good points but the reason nobody wants to wait a year or two is the fact that we haven't won a super bowl in 44 years!!!
Think about that for a moment. Since the last time we won a super bowl the expansion Marlins won two world series and the expansion heat won 3 NBA finals. The Red Sox, Cubs and Astros won the World Series. Since the last time we won Dan Marino played 17 years and was done 20 years ago. I know that none of that is Gase's fault but the reality is everyone is tired of losing.

Ozzy rules!!
We have a winner!

When Adam Gase was hired he told the players what he wanted from them and that as far as he was concerned they were all starting with a clean slate. He made it clear he would play the guys he felt would give the team the best chance of winning. The team was 4 games into the season when he made some cuts. Many on this forum had picked out their favorite bad guys and said they should be eliminated immediately. These two cuts were two of the most disliked. Some fans were mad because he waited so long - this guy doesn't know what he's doing, blah, blah, blah.

What Coach Gase did was keep his word to the team. This was fair. Every player on the team knew it. Things got better. This was a teaching lesson showing that players were going to be held accountable for their performance. This is what a good coach does!

When this season started he made some changes to the training program for new team members, based on what worked and what needed to be improved over what was done the first year. This constant improvement is characteristic of good teaching. This is what a good coach does!

Fast forward to our current situation.

Some key players had not performed well the last few games. They were failing to meet some basic standards, such as knowing their assignments. There were repeated patterns of failure. Coach Gase held those players accountable; he cut one and let the other be traded. This was fair. Every player on the team knows it. He has continued to keep his word to the team. This is what a good coach does!

Coach Gase has now made some changes to what we do in practices. This constant improvement is characteristic of good teaching. This is what a good coach does!

I forgot to mention the most important thing a good coach does. HE WINS! Coach Gase has a winning record with what everyone on this forum has considered a fractured team. This is what a good coach does!
He might be a good HC but I'm convinced more and more every week that he's a bad offensive coordinator. You can't blame everything on the OL. There have been teams with worse OL's, hell we've had worse OL's and I've never seen a Miami offense this bad. To top it all off we're loaded with talent on that side of the ball also. Now I know we were screwed the minute Tannehill went down because a crappy OL, and a crappy QB is recipe for disaster but Gase seem perfectly content to stick with whatever plan or plays he has predetermined on offense no matter what he sees from opposing defenses. 8 men in the box... hey let's run it right up the middle, 2nd and long still 8 men in the box... hey maybe we'll fool them by running it right up the middle again, 3rd and long... let's thro a 2 yard pass, or what the hell... let's run it again. It's BS chicken **** playcalling and everyone knows it. I don't care about the players, but refusing to even attempt to take advantage of what the defense is doing is just flat put bad football.

A good coach makes adjustments. After that Ravens disaster and the JA mess the spotlight is on Gase. We are coming off of a semi bye week so lets see what hes got. Imho if we get spanked again, especially at home, the seasons over and Gase will be under immense pressure to make major player and staff changes in the off season. If he wins then we are still in it. I think we will see the Miami version of the Pats. 40-50 passes, taking more risks on 4th down, lots of passes to backs and taking more deep shots. We will see.

I'm sure you took time for that response, so I won't be rude.

I've been watching Football since the early 80s. I understand what good teams and good coaches are. Your explaining to me, or trying to enlighten me, is abit condescending. We are just two people with different opinions on a crappy product. That no coach since JJ has been able to address sufficiently.

Since 1983, I've seen my favorite baseball team (STL) win multiple WC. I have seen my favorite college basketball team win 2, despite them choking away chances for 20 years. And my beloved Miami Dolphins since at least 2000 sputter along. So excuse me if I don't take much heed in your explaining to me, my enlightenment on football is based on years of understanding what is and isn't acceptable. Last Thursday night, after last seasons early trash, was a reminder to everyone this team is a fraud.

Here is some of my football background so you will have some idea where I'm coming from. I am so old I remember when there were only two receivers, the right end and the left end. I watched the Bengals develop from the start in Cincinnati under Paul Brown while I lived there. I moved to North Carolina in the early 1990's and got to watch the Panthers start from the beginning. That's when I started paying more attention to the coaches. Both teams went through coaching changes and both teams lost winners. The Bengals bypassed Bill Walsh for "Tiger Johnson". Bill quit and went to San Francisco. The Panthers replaced Fox with "Riverboat Ron" Riviera. I like Rivera but I thought they made a mistake with Fox. I liked John Fox and kept up with his career. When he went to Chicago I found out about Adam Gase. I liked what I saw, a straight talker who didn't give away the farm, but actually told the truth. Most of the Bears fans were so wound up around the axle by their anti- Cutler bias that they ignored what Gase said, until his truths became obvious. That's why I like and support Gase. In my eyes he has earned it.

Now I will try to address what I feel is aggravating you the most.

It all seems to boil down to one question. Why doesn't Gase change the plays he is running when they don't work? He must be aware of the situation!!!

I see two sequential answers to that question.

1) If the simple plays that allow the QB to get rid of the ball quickly don't work, what will work better?
a) If the team is executing poorly, then there isn't much he can do in the 1st half with out getting the QB injured, so he is stuck repeating these plays in some kind of "best percentage order". I feel this is our current situation.
b) If the team is executing well, but meeting effective counter plays by the defense, then other plays can be called that may take longer to develop, but which could open up the game and this question becomes moot. This is what we need to develop for reliable 1st half play. Our defense id noticeably better. Our offense is degrading due to age, injury and undeveloped rookies. Another effective draft could help fix it.

2) Adjustments are made in the second half, based on what the opponent did in the 1st half. These are usually effective because there is enough time in a complete half to fully identify the other teams patterns and tendencies for the game being played and develop simple counter plays. This only works when players know their assignments. Does this offer some clarification why some recent actions have been taken?
This has been reasonably effective in most of our games. This is part of our current situation, and a part that will stay in place while our 1st half play improves.

I think it is as simple (if unsatisfying) as that. There is no magic bullet for now, except for the 2nd half correction.

I feel it takes most rookies a year before they are ready for full time play in the NFL. Some teams may use rookies right away, but they usually succumb to the sophomore slump in their 2nd year. This means that our rookies from last year will make it or be replaced by the end of this year. You are lucky to get a good FA that lasts more than 2 years. This is why it can take 3 years or more to really develop a team that can operate well for a new coach. Of course this will vary with the initial capabilities of different teams, but if there is any agreement on this forum about anything, it is this team was a shambles when Gase arrived.

The defense is actually performing far worse this year than last, in the most important area -- opposing passer rating.

Last year that figure was 88.5, which is very slightly below the league average.

This year that figure is 103.1, which is well above the league average, and has been associated with a 4-12 record in the league on average since 2004. There is but one team of the 19 that have surrendered opposing passer ratings between 99 and 105 that had a winning record since 2004. That team had Brett Favre at QB in 2004, and it finished 10-6.

On offense the passer rating -- again a very important stat -- is 72.6, well below the league average.

Teams that have played this way in terms of offensive and defensive passer ratings have finished 3-13 on average since 2004.

Right now the team is playing as though winning not a single additional game on the season wouldn't be surprising.

Gase is pulling off no feat here. The team has been shut out in 2017 at a rate 25 times higher than would be expected for any one team in the league, through seven games of a season.

The team is a mess. If the Ajayi trade can have the effect of pulling a rabbit out of a hat, we may see this team improve a great deal. If it doesn't, again, it would be no surprise if the team wins not an additional game this year.

Right now Gase looks to me to be a coach who's having trouble getting players to buy in to what he's doing. When there is such poor performance on the part of the entire team, offense and defense, I think we have to believe that may be a significant part of the equation.

Gase certainly wouldn't be the first person who was promoted to his level of incompetence, and I think we don't have anywhere near the evidence necessary to rule that possibility out.

Last edited:
I'll clarify my earlier post which was essentially sarcastic. Not saying Gase needs to go as in fire him tomorrow.

But 40-0 is a mofo reality check on a number of levels. Beyond that -- Gase has not demonstrated the type of

intrinsic "genius" (admittedly I was dreaming...) that a truly great O mind like Walsh was (tho I despised his smug arrogance).

Gase is coming off to me to me a tad weenerish and not demonstrating the command of "reality" at the football level

I thought (hoped) he was all about. The inexcusable flaw @OL is killing the team. And I just don't see the sense of

"urgency" to solve that basic problem that has persisted for untold years. Tho I admit I still believe football games

are still won or lost on the LOS. No holes? Can't run. No pass pro -- can't pass. Obviously we miss Thills athleticism

@QB -- but WTF did we do keeping Moore as a backup? Perhaps we should have drafted a viable "athlete" @QB

just in case our starter (who was OBVIOUSLY not 100% sound) went down. Or at least focused on the fundamentals

@OL. I just don't see a consistent, PROVEN methodology in anything we do.

Make a new thread tomorrow. What a good GM does. Lol

Gase is functioning like any new head coach should, by simply ridding the team of players who don’t buy in, or who otherwise undermine the team’s performance.

However, that’s what just about any new head coach is given license to do. What makes some head coaches and not others very successful on a longer-term basis, however, is that they eventually get players to buy in, and those players become team leaders who create a winning team culture. It is yet to be seen whether Gase can accomplish that.

As Awsi Dooger said above, so far during Gase’s tenure, the team’s record has belied its performance, and there is too small a sample size to attribute that to Gase alone with any comfort.
So by the same token, wouldn't there be too little a sample size to detract from Gase?

So by the same token, wouldn't there be too little a sample size to detract from Gase?

Yes.

There are three choices: 1) attribute the win percentage that's discrepant from the team's performance to Gase, 2) detract from Gase, and 3) make no definitive conclusion either way.

At this point the choice should be #3 in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom