What a good coach does! | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What a good coach does!

I'll clarify my earlier post which was essentially sarcastic. Not saying Gase needs to go as in fire him tomorrow.

But 40-0 is a mofo reality check on a number of levels. Beyond that -- Gase has not demonstrated the type of

intrinsic "genius" (admittedly I was dreaming...) that a truly great O mind like Walsh was (tho I despised his smug arrogance).

Gase is coming off to me to me a tad weenerish and not demonstrating the command of "reality" at the football level

I thought (hoped) he was all about. The inexcusable flaw @OL is killing the team. And I just don't see the sense of

"urgency" to solve that basic problem that has persisted for untold years. Tho I admit I still believe football games

are still won or lost on the LOS. No holes? Can't run. No pass pro -- can't pass. Obviously we miss Thills athleticism

@QB -- but WTF did we do keeping Moore as a backup? Perhaps we should have drafted a viable "athlete" @QB

just in case our starter (who was OBVIOUSLY not 100% sound) went down. Or at least focused on the fundamentals

@OL. I just don't see a consistent, PROVEN methodology in anything we do.
That's what happens when t-dumb is the GM

Ozzy rules!!

When Adam Gase was hired he told the players what he wanted from them and that as far as he was concerned they were all starting with a clean slate. He made it clear he would play the guys he felt would give the team the best chance of winning. The team was 4 games into the season when he made some cuts. Many on this forum had picked out their favorite bad guys and said they should be eliminated immediately. These two cuts were two of the most disliked. Some fans were mad because he waited so long - this guy doesn't know what he's doing, blah, blah, blah.

What Coach Gase did was keep his word to the team. This was fair. Every player on the team knew it. Things got better. This was a teaching lesson showing that players were going to be held accountable for their performance. This is what a good coach does!

When this season started he made some changes to the training program for new team members, based on what worked and what needed to be improved over what was done the first year. This constant improvement is characteristic of good teaching. This is what a good coach does!

Fast forward to our current situation.

Some key players had not performed well the last few games. They were failing to meet some basic standards, such as knowing their assignments. There were repeated patterns of failure. Coach Gase held those players accountable; he cut one and let the other be traded. This was fair. Every player on the team knows it. He has continued to keep his word to the team. This is what a good coach does!

Coach Gase has now made some changes to what we do in practices. This constant improvement is characteristic of good teaching. This is what a good coach does!

I forgot to mention the most important thing a good coach does. HE WINS! Coach Gase has a winning record with what everyone on this forum has considered a fractured team. This is what a good coach does!
This is a most excellent write up and I fully agree. Also, it brought me back to the days of reading children's books to my kids before bedtime where every short paragraph ends with the last sentence being the story's title. :). Well done Ray R.

Back
Top Bottom