What Are We Missing? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Are We Missing?

This soft defense is going to look real bad Sunday against Brees. Lol, McClown looked like a franchise QB. Miami should have gotten or at least tried to get a proven DC in the offseason.

We are missing T.J. Macdonald. We are missing an identity as a secondary. Do we hit hard? Produce picks? What is our thing? The only thing I see them do is allow first downs by playing zone.

As a fanbase, we're missing perspective and patience. However, nothing the last ....um... lets see ... 2017-1973 = 44 years.... I think the dolphins no longer deserve patience.

As a team, I think we're missing the element of... do we have the horses to run the race that we want? if not... what are we doing about it, esp on defense? it seems like our margin for error is so small on either side of the ball (year after year) that we cannot afford even one injury or off day from any of our players as we will lose a game, or a season gets flushed. If our coaches are so good why can't we get new more talented players on the field sooner rather than later? does our systems have to be so full of thinking that we can't just let players play?

Lotsa questions and the only answers we are likely to get is in the form of W/L.

We may need another baaad season to add some top flight talent.

A FS, CB or even Lb. hell even QB.

I'm st the point where I'd gut the WR core or sign Obj.

Need some explosive players.

We may need another baaad season to add some top flight talent.

A FS, CB or even Lb. hell even QB.

I'm st the point where I'd gut the WR core or sign Obj.

Need some explosive players.

As if Stills, Parker, Grant, and Drake aren't "explosive" smh.

The last thing we need is WR's, we need more help on defense, a TE, and some offensive lineman.

Getting more "explosive players" is the last thing we need. And luckily Gase is smarter than most of our fans, so I doubt he will feel we need a QB in round 1 either.

We need 22 pro Bowlers who need to bail from the Pro Bowl because they're playing the following week instead.

I don't see we need much. Two good LB who can cover, a good guard and a good center when Pouncey goes down.

2 guards and a center without a glass hip, a receiving threat TE, 2 lbrs, 2 corners, 1 safety, and a defensive line that can put some pressure on a rookie tackle...I would also accept any DE that doesnt go inside on running plays and allow the RB to go outside with our slow as crap LBers...

2 guards and a center without a glass hip, a receiving threat TE, 2 lbrs, 2 corners, 1 safety, and a defensive line that can put some pressure on a rookie tackle...I would also accept any DE that doesnt go inside on running plays and allow the RB to go outside with our slow as crap LBers...
Hey I would like pro bowl caliber player in every position and two cheerleaders in my bedroom tonight. But we are talking about what it takes to make us strong playoff contender, not winning Superbowl every year. Good receiving TE is a luxury in our receiver set. When TJ Mc joining Jones and Lippett back next year, the secondary should get by.

The off man has a lot to do with the boundary corners having flats and contain vs the run assignments. Allows them to face the action longer.

Miami doesn't ever really run any true press jam at the los. It's probably a lot to avoid soft edges vs cleared out carry coverage

We allow too many clean releases and guys to get into their vertical stems unimpeded. Some of it is poor technique some of it is by design and some of it is the opposition lines guys up off the los to help them get clean releases

Last edited:
We keep missing on our drafts. For years, weve passed on known talent at multiple positions to try and grab a "surprise pick" or a pick of need when so much more obvious talent has been on the board. The worst part is, this draft is another wasted draft. Why the the effing eff do we pick Charles harris when little Watt is still on the board?????

The off man has a lot to do with the boundary corners having flats and contain vs the run assignments. Allows them to face the action longer.

Miami doesn't ever really run any true press jam at the los. It's probably a lot to avoid soft edges vs cleared out carry coverage

We allow too many clean releases and guys to get into their vertical stems unimpeded. Some of it is poor technique some of it is by design and some of it is the opposition lines guys up off the los to help them get clean releases

There has to be a major adjustment. I understand the desire to give the corners a better chance to support the run, but our corners don't seem to be anticipating routes well. I also noticed that receivers are running crossing routes without worry of our linebackers.

Here are my thoughts regarding what we are missing based on the first two games:

Offense:
- Continuity from having Ryan Tannehill at QB, Cutler is a different QB with different strengths. Game plans must be constructed that cater to his strengths.
Details that allow the above game plan to work must be emphasized and executed. I don't think we fully appreciated Tannehill's accuracy on short throws and its interaction with opening up the run game.
Gase seems to be getting a feel for this group...or the group is limited because the line can't dominate the LOS. Our play calling has not been very creative.

- Tight End - Julius Thomas looks old and slow. Fasano and Gray should get playing time because they are better run blockers. We have no seam buster.

- Guard - Our guards don't dominate the interior line of scrimmage. This was an issue last year and continues to be. Marginal resources were committed to upgrading this area.

Defense:

- The defensive line is overrated. It does not take over games as its billed. Harris is non-factor ATM. He may be in the future, but for right now we are not getting a return on our first or second round picks.

- Linebackers are depleted. Hull is undersized and can't cover. Kiko can cover but can't shed blocks. Timmons is AWOL.

- Cornerbacks and safeties - I don't know what is going on here. This unit should be relatively strong, but it has been terrible. No true #1 CB. Xavien Howard has been average, Maxwell has been bad. I think we miss Mccain and Lippet.

Special Teams:

- Saved money on a punter, at the cost of a couple bad punts. Otherwise, execution is good. Parkey hit a GW 54-yarder.

Back
Top Bottom