What if Andrew Luck is Tim Couch? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What if Andrew Luck is Tim Couch?

Nick13

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Look, I get the hype surrounding Luck, I do. The kid has the goods. But remember Tim Couch? Who was supposedly the best QB in the class of 99 that included players like McNabb and Culpepper (late careers aside, these dudes were all-pros). The point is, as good as Luck seems know, until he's actually shown it in the NFL, we can't say he's a franchise QB. Also, remember David Carr? Mediocre at best. Alex Smith (Over Aaron Rodgers mind you)? Decent, but not great. Being the best QB in college doesn't always mean you'll be a great pro QB. Hell, Matt Leinart won a Heisman Trophy.

Let's not abandon ship because we think we might have blown a shot at a guy who has proven nothing other than the fact he is the best QB in college football.

Andrew Luck is not Tim Couch and we aren't the (expansion) '99 Browns. Sorry to burst your bubble.

He's not Tim Couch but say what you want to say to make yourself feel better about losing out on the next elite QB.

I agree in the sense that none of us really know. As much as anyone likes to think they know I think we can all say we've been wrong about a player, so the possibility exists. I think what comparisons to Couch, Carr etc fail to adresss are the situations these guys got drafted into. I am not saying Alex Smith is better than Aaron Rodgers, but if he had a few years to sit behind Brett Favre and inherit the team he did I think the guy may have progressed differently. I mean come on the 99 browns...I'm from Cleveland Tim Couch didn't have much of a chance haha.

What seperates Luck from Couch, Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, etc., is his smarts. You don't get into Stanford only you are very sharp. Not only is Luck smart in terms of academics, but most coaches who follow him know how quickly he is able to break down defenses. He won't have any problem transitioning to a pro style offense. He also has a great work ethic, and money shouldn't change him as he comes from a well off family. There are no 100% gaurantees in the NFL, but I would say the chances of Luck becoming Couch are slim and none. Couch was a system QB at Kentucky.

Really? Again? Refer to the super thread where this question has been answered ad mortem.

I'm not saying this as a case for not drafting him, you take the best player on the board (well, the Dolphins don't...but you get the idea), but I hate the idea of tanking a season just to be bad enough to draft someone and invest money in them when they haven't proven anything in the NFL. If he is there, you pick him. But I'm sick of everyone making it seem like we missed out on the rapture because we beat KC.

Look, I get the hype surrounding Luck, I do. The kid has the goods. But remember Tim Couch? Who was supposedly the best QB in the class of 99 that included players like McNabb and Culpepper (late careers aside, these dudes were all-pros). The point is, as good as Luck seems know, until he's actually shown it in the NFL, we can't say he's a franchise QB. Also, remember David Carr? Mediocre at best. Alex Smith (Over Aaron Rodgers mind you)? Decent, but not great. Being the best QB in college doesn't always mean you'll be a great pro QB. Hell, Matt Leinart won a Heisman Trophy.

Let's not abandon ship because we think we might have blown a shot at a guy who has proven nothing other than the fact he is the best QB in college football.

What if he is the next Manning? It could go both ways. He has just as much of a chance to bust as he does at being spectacular.

I would have to think that we really needed a better offensive line because poor mr luck would be running around like a chicken with his head cut off. Couch was sacked more than any other qb if i am not mistaken.

Back
Top Bottom