What if we pick 3rd and can't trade up? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What if we pick 3rd and can't trade up?

If Tua is off the table, I note people are jumping to talk of Fromm. But,I have to say that I may be more intrigued by Joe Burrow. I got a good glimpse of him against Texas and I want to see more. There's still time for all of us to make our judgements. But I am not going to be surprised if Burrow is a top ten pick. If Burrow got to a well rounded team like Indianapolis, watch out.

Indy's GM Chris Ballard has been phenomenal on draft day. I wish we had that level of insight on the draft.

If Tua is off the table, I note people are jumping to talk of Fromm. But,I have to say that I may be more intrigued by Joe Burrow. I got a good glimpse of him against Texas and I want to see more. There's still time for all of us to make our judgements. But I am not going to be surprised if Burrow is a top ten pick. If Burrow got to a well rounded team like Indianapolis, watch out.

Indy's GM Chris Ballard has been phenomenal on draft day. I wish we had that level of insight on the draft.
Let's see how he does against the Gators tomorrow. As a Gators fan I hope he get smacked in the face. :woot:

That's one of the things i find so fascinating about the draft. There's going to be a guy that no one saw coming. Tua seems to be the consensus #1 but would it really be surprising if one of these other QBs end up having the much better career?

Call me crazy by there are qualities about Fromm that reminds me of Brady.

Listen, Chase Young is the top pass rusher in this draft.

But that doesn't mean he's another Jason Taylor. Scouts I talked to about Nick Bosa considered him to very much be that caliber elite level icon player. I've yet to hear anything like that from them about Chase Young, which means they're seeing what I see...which is a good player with some issues.

He gets moved off the ball by Josiah Deguara, a 6'3" & 240 lbs tight end. I like Deguara quite a bit, but he's still just a 6'3" & 240 lbs tight end. What happens when that's a 320 lbs guy?

And I believe hoops has brought this up before about his flexibility at the bottom of his rush. Watch him speed rush the right tackle here:

The tackle tried to engage early and froze his feet. Chase Young is speed rush all the way, so he's got the guy beat on the speed rush by about as much of a margin as you'll ever see in a OT-DE matchup. Yet Chase Young rounds the corner like a tank. Desmond Ridder didn't even step up into the pocket to avoid this (which is bad on him, you need to do that if you're going to be a good QB). But he didn't need to.

He's a good player and he probably deserves to be at the top of this class in pass rushers. And yeah he looked great in pure pass rush against the sort of tackles that the Cincinnati Bearcats and Florida Atlantic Owls could throw at him.

But I only saw him beat Tyler Higby in pass rush one time, and Higby's not even very good for a P5 left tackle. And for the most part, until the end of the game with the scoreboard lopsided and the ears pinned back, Jordan Reid handled him in pass pro without even looking like he had to try very hard.

And the next double-team he splits this year will be the first one I've seen.

This confirms the eye test. I've been watching the guy and see a good player. But i don't necessarily see anything that screams must have great player projected at the next level. Especially when we're talking about Top 5 pick that's supposed to be a difference maker. I just don't see it with this kid.

I don't think i ever saw Brees play at Purdue. But for those that did could you have forecasted his impressive NFL career?
Did he show some of that elite level of play even in college?

I remember watching him throw for over 500 yards against Nick Saban's top ranked defense at Michigan St. I believe he had thrown for nearly 350 yards and 5 TD's at halftime. Saban had the Spartans ranked in the top 5 at the time and were favored.

This is why Saban wanted Brees and made all those flights to Alabama to meet with Brees and his wife when he was a free agent. But ultimately the team doctors wouldn't sign off on the shoulder.

I remember watching him throw for over 500 yards against Nick Saban's top ranked defense at Michigan St. I believe he had thrown for nearly 350 yards and 5 TD's at halftime. Saban had the Spartans ranked in the top 5 at the time and were favored.

This is why Saban wanted Brees and made all those flights to Alabama to meet with Brees and his wife when he was a free agent. But ultimately the team doctors wouldn't sign off on the shoulder.

Wow, Great info and makes it even more bizzarre that he still went(perhaps reluctantly) with Culpepper over Brees.

I have zero reservations about going with Jake Fromm in the scenario described.

Chase Young is not must-have. He's not Nick Bosa.

Sports Illustrated

The Draft Network who compares Young to...Julius Peppers

Fromm vs Rosen or Young vs. Harris/Charlton

One move immediately improves the team, the other MIGHT.

Which move though?

Since "setting the edge" seems to be preeminent with Flores
and Young is a tad soft in that area... If that analysis is correct
he may not be the best bet for us.

Bottom line we need to crush all 3 of our R1s!

Good news is we have potential targets at DB OL LB WR and...

:lol:

Listen, Chase Young is the top pass rusher in this draft.

But that doesn't mean he's another Jason Taylor. Scouts I talked to about Nick Bosa considered him to very much be that caliber elite level icon player. I've yet to hear anything like that from them about Chase Young, which means they're seeing what I see...which is a good player with some issues.

He gets moved off the ball by Josiah Deguara, a 6'3" & 240 lbs tight end. I like Deguara quite a bit, but he's still just a 6'3" & 240 lbs tight end. What happens when that's a 320 lbs guy?

And I believe hoops has brought this up before about his flexibility at the bottom of his rush. Watch him speed rush the right tackle here:

The tackle tried to engage early and froze his feet. Chase Young is speed rush all the way, so he's got the guy beat on the speed rush by about as much of a margin as you'll ever see in a OT-DE matchup. Yet Chase Young rounds the corner like a tank. Desmond Ridder didn't even step up into the pocket to avoid this (which is bad on him, you need to do that if you're going to be a good QB). But he didn't need to.

He's a good player and he probably deserves to be at the top of this class in pass rushers. And yeah he looked great in pure pass rush against the sort of tackles that the Cincinnati Bearcats and Florida Atlantic Owls could throw at him.

But I only saw him beat Tyler Higby in pass rush one time, and Higby's not even very good for a P5 left tackle. And for the most part, until the end of the game with the scoreboard lopsided and the ears pinned back, Jordan Reid handled him in pass pro without even looking like he had to try very hard.

And the next double-team he splits this year will be the first one I've seen.

As I acknowledged, Young has flaws and a lot to improve upon. All players do.

But there’s no denying the size, speed, athleticism and raw talent are there. And he has shown improvement during his time in Columbus. I fully expect that to continue.

That’s what I’m basing my opinion upon — what I believe he already is combined with what I believe he can develop into with hard work and good coaching. Obviously these kids aren’t finished products.

Everything I’ve read and learned about Young going back to Dematha HS is that he doesn’t have a big head, plays with an edge and is willing to work hard.

IMO, a player like that with his talent will tend to succeed.

This confirms the eye test. I've been watching the guy and see a good player. But i don't necessarily see anything that screams must have great player projected at the next level. Especially when we're talking about Top 5 pick that's supposed to be a difference maker. I just don't see it with this kid.

He's got tremendous potential because he moves uncommonly for the player he is and he carries all that size well. It's like looking at a big wide receiver or something. And I agree with Slimm about his hand use and his eyes. I think there've been some issues with option plays with him but otherwise he's got quick eyes and reaction and that sort of ability to make sure the QB knows he's on an egg timer.

But the guy he actually sort of reminds me of is Willie Young. And that was a good player in the NFL. It wasn't an All Pro player.

If you want me to ignore quarterbacks like Tua Tagovailoa, Jake Fromm, and Jordan Love, when I don't have anybody worth a damn, and it's been 20 years since I had anybody worth a damn, then I want Aaron Donald. I don't want Willie Young.

I don't think i ever saw Brees play at Purdue. But for those that did could you have forecasted his impressive NFL career?
Did he show some of that elite level of play even in college?

Yes he did.

While I won’t pretend that I had any clue his career would turn out as superb as it has, I was hoping the Dolphins would draft him the year he came out. Always thought he was a winner.

Back in Drew Brees's day the skepticism was HIGH that any quarterback shorter than 6'2" could possibly succeed in the NFL.

It's totally different now, in part because of Brees himself.

Otherwise it was understood that if he were 3 inches taller he'd have probably gone #2 instead of #32.

then I want Aaron Donald. I don't want Willie Young.

Everyone wants Aaron Donald. Everyone wants a Tom Brady too.

But let’s be real. Those players aren’t available in every draft. Not even in every other draft. But the team still has got to select somebody, right?

So why not take the best looking prospect you can? If he end up the next Willie Young, so be it. It’s the best they could do given the circumstances.

Back in Drew Brees's day the skepticism was HIGH that any quarterback shorter than 6'2" could possibly succeed in the NFL.

It's totally different now, in part because of Brees himself.

Otherwise it was understood that if he were 3 inches taller he'd have probably gone #2 instead of #32.

Agree completely. He was diminished by scouts over size and is largely responsible for changing that narrative.

Think Doug Flutie might have helped too, though he obviously was nowhere near as successful in the NFL as Brees.

He's got tremendous potential because he moves uncommonly for the player he is and he carries all that size well. It's like looking at a big wide receiver or something. And I agree with Slimm about his hand use and his eyes. I think there've been some issues with option plays with him but otherwise he's got quick eyes and reaction and that sort of ability to make sure the QB knows he's on an egg timer.

But the guy he actually sort of reminds me of is Willie Young. And that was a good player in the NFL. It wasn't an All Pro player.

If you want me to ignore quarterbacks like Tua Tagovailoa, Jake Fromm, and Jordan Love, when I don't have anybody worth a damn, and it's been 20 years since I had anybody worth a damn, then I want Aaron Donald. I don't want Willie Young.

No @ckparrothead no more "potentials" for the Dolphins. Let's put that one on the shelf for many more years.
I swear our franchise has been plagued by potentials Cecil Collins, John Avery, Yatil Green, Ryan Tannehill, Deon Jordan, Jamar Fletcher, Jason Allen, Ted Ginn etc etc etc.

Either they can come in day 1 and kick butt or he can't.

No more drafting guys based on their "potential" and not necessarily what they are today.

That's how we end up overdrafting guys. We're adding what they are today and fairy-dust together and using that as the draft grade.

Back
Top Bottom