What if we pick 3rd and can't trade up? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What if we pick 3rd and can't trade up?

I've mentioned this before but I believe Drew Brees did more to change the way QB's are evaluated more than any other prospect in recent years. Partly because Joe Tiller and that offense he played in at Purdue changed the way football was played in the Big-10.

Nobody believed you could pass the football in that conference because of the weather. Joe Tiller and Drew Brees changed that.

Everyone wants Aaron Donald. Everyone wants a Tom Brady too.

But let’s be real. Those players aren’t available in every draft. Not even in every other draft. But the team still has got to select somebody, right?

So why not take the best looking prospect you can? If he end up the next Willie Young, so be it. It’s the best they could do given the circumstances.

I fully agree and that's why I take Jake Fromm over Chase Young. Probably Jordan Love as well.

I've mentioned this before but I believe Drew Brees did more to change the way QB's are evaluated more than any other prospect in recent years. Partly because Joe Tiller and that offense he played in at Purdue changed the way football was played in the Big-10.

Nobody believed you could pass the football in that conference because of the weather. Joe Tiller and Drew Brees changed that.

That's interesting about the Big-Ten. Didn't realize that.

Great point. It’s been so long that I had forgotten, but you’re spot on.

Of course lots of other factors have changed the past 20 - 25 years, such as field surfaces, which has also led to style and tactic changes in that conference. But what Brees accomplished at Purdue certainly helped to change the narrative.

He's got tremendous potential because he moves uncommonly for the player he is and he carries all that size well. It's like looking at a big wide receiver or something. And I agree with Slimm about his hand use and his eyes. I think there've been some issues with option plays with him but otherwise he's got quick eyes and reaction and that sort of ability to make sure the QB knows he's on an egg timer.

But the guy he actually sort of reminds me of is Willie Young. And that was a good player in the NFL. It wasn't an All Pro player.

If you want me to ignore quarterbacks like Tua Tagovailoa, Jake Fromm, and Jordan Love, when I don't have anybody worth a damn, and it's been 20 years since I had anybody worth a damn, then I want Aaron Donald. I don't want Willie Young.

perfect way to put it.

Sports Illustrated

Interesting comments in there. Looks like at least some scouts and draft gurus see it in Young. That’s what makes the draft so freaking fun and interesting. Even so called experts can widely disagree. Nobody really knows anything for sure.

Former Ohio State All-American Chris Spielman, a Fox-TV NFL analyst, worked the Giants-Redskins game Sunday.

"I was in New York, and I was talking to some pro personnel guys up there," Spielman said on the Spielman & Hooley podcast. "They are enamored with Chase Young. Enamored. And I said, ‘Is he better than (Nick) Bosa?” And they, they didn’t even hesitate. They did not even hesitate. Yes."

Dantonio is similarly impressed with Young.

"He's a very good player, big strong defensive end," Dantonio said. "...He's firm. He's very well coached. He's got a very quick first step out of the box.

"I don't really think of him in terms of, 'Oh, he's just like so and so.' I just look at him like a guy who's extremely productive and making big plays out there...We have to be able to control him to some degree because he can wreck a football game."

"They've had guys down there like him in the past. Everybody's had a guy like that in the past at some point in time. But I can't put a comparison on it. I just think he's a very, very good football player."

That's fair to bring up. I haven't heard that about scouts thinking he's better than Bosa on my end but I'm not saying it's not true, either.

That's fair to bring up. I haven't heard that about scouts thinking he's better than Bosa on my end but I'm not saying it's not true, either.

As a fan that has seen a ton of Ohio State games over the years, I can’t go as far as saying he’ll be better than either or both Bosa’s in terms of at the NFL level. I mean, he might be. Anything is possible.

Production wise in college, it’s doubtful he’ll match or outperform Joey unless he really continues to go in a tear.

The one area where I believe the Bosa’s had the decided edge in college and probably in the NFL unless Young drastically improves is against the run.

I'm still in awe, unlike for Flutie who seemed to use his scrambling ability to creating passing windows, how guys like Brees can sit in the pocket and actually throw with anticipation and accuracy. Especially when you consider he's easily giving up a few inches of his field of view due to the trench play immediately in front of him.

It's some really uncanny stuff that he's still that accurate with his throws...

I'm still in awe, unlike for Flutie who seemed to use his scrambling ability to creating passing windows, how guys like Brees can sit in the pocket and actually throw with anticipation and accuracy. Especially when you consider he's easily giving up a few inches of his field of view due to the trench play immediately in front of him.

It's some really uncanny stuff that he's still that accurate with his throws...

Absolutely. Brees is just a rare dude. Special what he does. Tiller had other QB's that the NFL took seriously as prospects like Kyle Orton, but he was never going to have another Brees.

Keep in mind Brees was a Texas kid who played under center in high school. When he got to Purdue and played out of the shotgun for Tiller - it illustrated the future of offenses and the QB position in my opinion.

It's incredible to think what might have happened if Brees had signed with Miami. To just think how the next 2 decades of football could have changed if Saban and Brees had paired together in Miami. It very well may have been Miami that had a 6 superbowl dynasty instead of the Patriots. I believe Saban is the last coach to shut out Tom Brady.

Just goes to show how close Miami has been in the past to getting it right in a big time way. But they always whiff right at the end. And people around here want Miami to do it again if they have a shot at Tua. Nothing is ever guaranteed. But take your shot for ****'s sake. If you don't somebody else is.

We will be picking top 3.
The pick has to be Best QB available.
Get it right.
If it’s not right - Bye bye Grier.
New GM.
Pick another one 2021

I think a very significant, very underrated component of "value determination" when it comes to NFL QBs relates to team composition. Brees can't block and Rogers can't carry Green Bay lacking the right complimentary players. That observation can be affirmed along with the realization that QB is the single most important position on the field! The conversation (debate) doesn't have to be binary!

To simplistically believe you can add a premiere college prospect like Tua to ANY roster in the league and presto! *instant contenders* is nonsense! And it's also silly to assume there's only ONE possible solution for your program @QB in the entire universe!

Everyone on this board knows you need a quality QB to compete in the NFL. Like duh! And of course if your QB is certified "transcendent" that's a good thing! But to pretend for a second that there's some kind of cosmic guarantee a kid like Tua is the divine answer to ALL your hopes and dreams for the team is...nonsense!

When folks refer to other franchises who are playing good solid team ball despite the fact they lack a USDA certified "franchise QB" it's NOT to dispute the premise QB isn't important -- it's simply to underscore the primary importance of TEAM composition! Again, it doesn't have to be binary!

How this relates to the draft is glaringly obvious. For example, is Fromm worthy of the #3 pick (in value assessment terms) when you may be able to select a higher value prospect and still grab Fromm @7. Of course, purely theoretical, and who the hell knows for sure? Tho some believers seem to believe this crawdad daddy rascal "knows all!

:lol:

It depends on what it'd cost to trade up, but I wouldn't want to be picking at 3.

trading up would cost too much and not worth it. We have way too many wholes on this team.

i would go with the BPA and target the trenches. I wouldn’t even consider Fromm until the 3rd round. This guy will not be a starter in the NFL. I really think that most people are completely clueless when it comes to QBs. They just go with a QB who is on a good team.

Back
Top Bottom