What is your position on the offsides rule (Soccer)? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What is your position on the offsides rule (Soccer)?

What is your opinion of the offsides rule?

• Total voters
ckb2001 said:
Why not also make a poll on whether to stop the clock for cases where a player fakes an injury or does something purely as a time-wasting strategy.. These two ideas and the 2 ref idea are things I think would really help soccer reduce the "deceiving the ref" tradition many players employ.

I would not nec stop the clock. So worst case scenario the clock is stopped. I would punish "actors" more severly. A few mandatory yellows or even red cards. If the refs miss it use video evidence after the game and hand out suspension. Within two years nobody will go down and roll around unless both legs are barely left hanging on a piece of tissue.

:wink:

ckb2001 said:
OK, this isn't meant seriously, but only 1/2 seriously... Have you ever wondered how exciting a game of soccer would be with 2 balls instead of one? Yes, a few rule changes would be needed, but I'd really like to see just an experimental match with that (at amateur level is fine).

Thing is, it's hard to know what the game would turn into.

Um...that would be crazy..not good crazy either. Scores would probably be 20-19 every game. It would be impossible to hold a ball and watch out for the other team with the other ball.

FFiB said:
I would not nec stop the clock. So worst case scenario the clock is stopped. I would punish "actors" more severly. A few mandatory yellows or even red cards. If the refs miss it use video evidence after the game and hand out suspension. Within two years nobody will go down and roll around unless both legs are barely left hanging on a piece of tissue.

:wink:

Why stop there.. dude, throw them in jail :lol: Anyway, just kidding.

Still, since my other plea for voting seems to have found an audience.. let me say:

PLEEEZE create a poll for stopping the clock when a player is faking injury to waste time :D :tongue:

(I'd do it myself, but it seems more credible if the person who asks for it doesn't do it :wink: )

FFiB said:
it was a decent game. Its amazing. In football you hail a 7-0 game and celebrate the defense, in baseball yopu get all whacked out about a no hitter but for soccer you apply different rules. Oh I forget the fans hailing a goalie in hockey preserving a shut out.

Soccer is not there to please US interests. The game is more successful than any other game. And the worldcup is a bigger even than the olympics. While there is need for fine tuning drastic changes are not required.

:yes:

Prime Time said:
Um...that would be crazy..not good crazy either. Scores would probably be 20-19 every game. It would be impossible to hold a ball and watch out for the other team with the other ball.

Maybe, but why not try it out first? If I knew enough local soccer players I'd suggest it, but I mostly watch soccer, not play it, so I can't.

ckb2001 said:
Maybe, but why not try it out first? If I knew enough local soccer players I'd suggest it, but I mostly watch soccer, not play it, so I can't.

They would probably laugh in your face ( no offense :wink: )

The idea is unthinkable...that is like saying, why not play basketball with two balls. It is pretty much unthinkable...

Prime Time said:
They would probably laugh in your face ( no offense :wink: )

The idea is unthinkable...that is like saying, why not play basketball with two balls. It is pretty much unthinkable...

I'm thinking it :D And I'd love to suggest it just to see the reaction, even if they laugh at it :lol:

FFiB said:
it was a decent game. Its amazing. In football you hail a 7-0 game and celebrate the defense, in baseball yopu get all whacked out about a no hitter but for soccer you apply different rules. Oh I forget the fans hailing a goalie in hockey preserving a shut out.

Soccer is not there to please US interests. The game is more successful than any other game. And the worldcup is a bigger even than the olympics. While there is need for fine tuning drastic changes are not required.

:clap:

finsmx said:
:lol: It will be a mess out there

Exactly. It is unimaginable. I am trying to specifically figure out how the players would play. Either I lack imaginations or this truly is almost unthinkable.

Prime Time said:
Exactly. It is unimaginable. I am trying to specifically figure out how the players would play. Either I lack imaginations or this truly is almost unthinkable.

Well, (and this is how it remotely has something to do with this discussion :wink: ), you'd HAVE to get rid of the offsides rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Otherwise, everything is mostly the same... though you could put maybe 13 players on the field or so.

ckb2001 said:
Well, (and this is how it remotely has something to do with this discussion :wink: ), you'd HAVE to get rid of the offsides rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Otherwise, everything is mostly the same... though you could put maybe 13 players on the field or so.

All I can say is it sounds like a good way for little kids to burn off energy :lol:
~~Holli

add in a few labs and retrievers for even more fun.

HolliFinFan said:
All I can say is it sounds like a good way for little kids to burn off energy :lol:
~~Holli

Constructive thinking! That's it Holli, we need more of that :lol:

FFiB said:

Its global success has more to do with the economics of the game...(little investment needed to play the game...find a ball, create a goal area, define OB, and perhaps find protection for your shins...and whalllaa you have a game)...then the style and excitement of the game in its current form.

That however does not imply that its current rules shouldnt be modified or improved, and not just for US interests. The game will survive regardless of US success. I would point out, that for every international proponent of the game, they are often the same voices who are most upset by the refs and calls on the field of play. So if folks arent 100% thrilled with the game in its current form, perhaps rules can be tweaked to improve it.

Consistency of the calls on the field, and when necessary removal of "human error" as much as possible is what makes games great, its what makes sports great. Thats what most folks are simply asking about soccer.

Adjust the rules to allow for the game to be played at its highest form within the rules.

Back
Top Bottom