When did Dolphins fans officially turn on Ireland? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

When did Dolphins fans officially turn on Ireland?

When he flew out to California with Ross. It showed more than anything that he's just a Ross puppet and a yes man. He should've been fired along with Sparano. Also, Joe Rose has told some stories about him on the air that make him sound like a complete jerk.

Thats not right. How can an owner who's name is not Jerry Jones be a puppet master to his GM?

a puppet is where the master is controlling the strings. I dont think Ross is controlling the strings.

When he flew out to California with Ross. It showed more than anything that he's just a Ross puppet and a yes man. He should've been fired along with Sparano. Also, Joe Rose has told some stories about him on the air that make him sound like a complete jerk.

oh yeah. what stories?

I think a lot of that had to do with Sparano's lame duck status. That was the worst decision Ross made. It essentially kept us in limbo. Ireland had assurances he was safe, but Sparano did not. As such, what sense did it make to go after a QB for a coach who not be here in a year and the future coach may not want? 2011 was a wasted year all around...

And who knows, maybe it was a strategic move to get a high draft pick in a loaded QB draft...

So he has no balls then. Sure Mr. Parcells, you can draft whoever you want and put my name on it. Sure Mr. Ross, I'll stand pat for a season and take that bullet. Sure Mr. Philbin, I'll trade away the teams best players...

He's a fool or has no balls, either way I don't like him.

So he has no balls then. Sure Mr. Parcells, you can draft whoever you want and put my name on it. Sure Mr. Ross, I'll stand pat for a season and take that bullet. Sure Mr. Philbin, I'll trade away the teams best players...

He's a fool or has no balls, either way I don't like him.

?

What can he do? He didn't have the authority to fire Sparano. Not sure what you wanted him to do in that spot... Didn't he trade for Bush that year? That wasn't exactly standing pat. I agree he didn't really go heavy on upgrades that season, but the uncertainty around Sparano was a major reason for that.

I agree he was a major dick in the way he stabbed his old friend Sparano in the back, but I really don't care if the GM is an ahole. Unlike the HC, a GM doesn't need to lead men, he just needs to find them.

Ill tell you when my support for him begin to grow. When I did my research on past GM and it resulted with me finding out that most of the successful teams, their GM'S were part of their franchise for at least 5 years or more in some capacity. EI head scout, player personnel and etc. And if they stuck around the 6th year they all had some kind of success. Now, I thought about the constant changes this franchise have done since we ran SHULA out of town. And I looked back at the picks he was responsible for for the Dallas Cowboys. I looked back at the teams that survived with a GM for that lenght of time and how the owner's owners stuck with them. At the time he was giving the title of GM he was one of the youngest GM'S in the history of the league. I learned about his dad and how he was around the '84 bears and the way he came up through the ranks. Now that his QB's that achieves a rating of 90 or higher are a combine 26 and 11. 15 games above .500. Add the fact that we have lost the most games by the fewest margin since he has taken over and void of talent we were when he did take over. In 08 we had just one drafted player just 5 or 6 players from a decade of drafting. .

Sent from my phone, not that my grammar was prefect to begin with. Just wanted to say that before I get attacked by the big bad boogy mod..

Ill tell you when my support for him begin to grow. When I did my research on past GM and it resulted with me finding out that most of the successful teams, their GM'S were part of their franchise for at least 5 years or more in some capacity. .

Thats some brilliant logic. The best QBs typically start for 10+ years so lets give Cleo Lemon at least 10 more years....

I think a lot of that had to do with Sparano's lame duck status. That was the worst decision Ross made. It essentially kept us in limbo. Ireland had assurances he was safe, but Sparano did not. As such, what sense did it make to go after a QB for a coach who not be here in a year and the future coach may not want? 2011 was a wasted year all around...

And who knows, maybe it was a strategic move to get a high draft pick in a loaded QB draft...

So instead of suck for luck, we tanked for Tanny?

Around year 3 or 4 after he first arrived

If the report of his overruling Philbin about cutting Incognito in May 2012 is true, I have no use for him.

I went from thinking he was pretty safe if we finished 8-8 or better to thinking he was a dead man walking after the incogs stuff back to thinking he's pretty safe again. Jefflon the ****roach is a hard one to kill.

Ireland has made some mistakes but I really don't hate him. The biggest gripe that I have with him is his history of missing in the 2nd & 3rd rd. However, he has been pretty good in late rounds and UDFA. I think that people forget how bad the drafting was after Jimmy Johnson walked out. I think a lot of people forget how many high draft picks we traded away for scrub QBs while not drafting a single QB since Dan Marino. Ireland at least drafted QBs for the staff to develop.

I never did like him muc from the start. I beliee it was his first press conference when they asked him what kind of team he wanted to build and he said "a big team. we want big players"....in other words, cornfed linemen that couldn't move instead of playmakers. He was trying to build a team the way Parcells's Giants were built in the 80"s. The people that like Ireland blamed everything on Parcells but when Parcells left what did Ireland do? Draft a center at 15. Very good player but a center when you have no playmakers?......every year he wastes our 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks. I don't blame every single thing on him tho as that would not be fair but at best, he's very average to bad and yet some people here think he's so good andpoint to him getting us some starters that would not be starting anywhere else(Clemons, Carroll,Misi,Jerry,Martin when he was still here)but hey, I know I won't convinced anyone to change their mind just like they won't get me to change mine. In the end, why would anyone be so worry about him getting fired? Other than the fact they'd be proven wrong which is a constant thing on this board. Everyone wants to be RIGHT regarless of what's good for our team.

Ozzy rules!!

I consider my self neutral. I don't get how people got lost on this. Some people arguing to blame him on things that were not his fault(funny on people that presumed they know) or arguments really dumb and/or weak to hate him. Some of us were mad because the way he handled the interview with Dez, I agree with that, but also he found that he was not the man our team required; also the way he turned his back to Tony, I also agree with that, but he was right about we need to change the HC.
I did not like to sent Brandon to Chicago, but, it was just him? Or both, Joe P. and himself building a new culture on the team, same with Vontae, same with Burnett and Dansby ( I have the feeling that Coyle asked for more aggressiveness and speed on this area).
As a GM you have to see what the Coaching Staff needs, according with their style of playing, is not only a GM decision.
Overall, I am happy with this combo of CEO, GM and HC, all of them with very few years on business but learning very fast, according with their result, a very competitive team and the best team I have seen on many years.

I think the Dez stuff combined with Ryan Clark bashing Jeff Ireland as a reason why he didn't sign with the Fins is why a lot of people turned on him.

I remember last year there was an article how 3 GMs who were Parcells deciples (Ireland, Tannenbaum, Pioli) were all putting in practices the Tuna himself practiced but because they weren't Bill Parcells it didn't fly with players or the press.

Omar also just wrote an article shedding more light on what Ireland has and hasn't done with the Fins and if true some facts are things we've had wrong (namely Ireland never going with Ross to interview Harbaugh).

Speaking of which, I felt bad for Tony after that happened but the pity party he held for himself after made me lose all respect for him.

Back
Top Bottom