When did Dolphins fans officially turn on Ireland? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

When did Dolphins fans officially turn on Ireland?

I've never been against Jeff Ireland. I'm always pulling for the GM of the Dolphins, whoever it is. There are times where I've leaned toward hoping he would be released or, somehow, promoted out of the GM role. That's kind of how I feel about OC Sherman right now--at times, I'm ready for Sherman to get a head coaching offer so that Philbin can move forward with, perhaps, an OC better suited for this current phase of the Dolphins. I say this because I feel that Sherman was the right pick for the new head coach, but all good things must come to an end so that something new and good can begin.

With Jeff Ireland, the situation is a bit different. I've feared that the whole front office, head coach included, would get the ax if Ireland was to be fired. The one thing I don't want to see happen is for Joe Philbin to fail because of instability in the front office. You know with Jeff Ireland you have a grocery shopper who sometimes goes big and at other times will deliver you a few acorns (LOL...)... mind you, acorns can be rotten on the inside, but they're still acorns. I see Ireland as being an okay GM. It could always like it was under Wanny, ya know? Could have had that franchise QB if he wasn't too busy doing godknowswhatwhere... ya, thanks alot Wanny!

No, if anything, Ireland has been a competent GM after a line of mostly incompetent GMs. Not great. Maybe not even good. Competent.

I don't think it was one thing that Ireland did that made me "turn," on him, it's more like the gradual brain farts he has had over the years, but I also think that he has done a few things right, like getting some value out of late round picks like Clay and Sturgis. He wants the Phins to succeed like we all do. He just has to do a better job with his early draft picks, and making personnel and coaching decisions. I think he deserves another year based on the past year. If you look at successful franchises, they all have stability, so I am willing to take a wait-and-see attitude with Ireland.

Ireland's job performance has just been mediocre to poor. This turn around as of late I honestly believe that it is more of a luck of schedule combined with a player determination and coaches pride deal than anything Ireland has done. Things like the Incog deal tend to sometimes bring people together and strengthen their resolve to the point where their performance goes above and beyond what they normally would do.

Before we got back into playoff contention, everyone knew that we had one of if not the softest schedule in the NFL. Even with that we were on the verge of being knocked out and still aren't safe.

I just think that keeping him around will prove in the end to just set us back a year or two once the dust settles and we have a tougher schedule. I really, really hope that Taylor, Davis and Thomas etc. pan out because ....wow...talk about wasting picks.

I don't think it was one thing that Ireland did that made me "turn," on him, it's more like the gradual brain farts he has had over the years, but I also think that he has done a few things right, like getting some value out of late round picks like Clay and Sturgis. He wants the Phins to succeed like we all do. He just has to do a better job with his early draft picks, and making personnel and coaching decisions. I think he deserves another year based on the past year. If you look at successful franchises, they all have stability, so I am willing to take a wait-and-see attitude with Ireland.

I agree with you to an extent on Ireland. The coaching staff has made the 'stay another year' performance. Although Sherman...not sure there but if RT keeps progressing its OK.

If Ireland's job is to just get players and that's it, I don't think it'll affect much stability wise. I think stability counts more for the coaches and players than just the scouting dept. You just need to find a GM that will work with the coaching staff and that (hopefully) has a better eye for talent (which I know is easier said than done).

Before we got back into playoff contention, everyone knew that we had one of if not the softest schedule in the NFL. Even with that we were on the verge of being knocked out and still aren't safe.

I just think that keeping him around will prove in the end to just set us back a year or two once the dust settles and we have a tougher schedule. I really, really hope that Taylor, Davis and Thomas etc. pan out because ....wow...talk about wasting picks.

But we DON'T have a soft schedule....we had a more difficult schedule than the Patriots in 2013....the 8th toughest schedule in all of the NFL. The Denver Broncos had the softest schedule in 2013.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000137115/article/teambyteam-strength-of-schedule-for-2013

Carolina Panthers
138-116-2
Detroit Lions
138-118-0
New Orleans Saints
137-117-2
St. Louis Rams
137-117-2
Baltimore Ravens
137-119-0
Green Bay Packers
136-119-1
Arizona Cardinals
131-121-4
Miami Dolphins
133-123-0

i honestly cant stand when anyone points out draft picks and who we "could have drafed instead" its such utter and complete nonsense.

for any guy who is a star, you can look up where he got drafted, and then go down the line and find probably at least half the league "missing" on the pick. its so annoying.

I think guys stopped liking him really for no reason at all.

I think it is all about one person - CHAD HENNE. this was a parcells pick, and it did not work out, and when your QB is not a franchise QB, you sink.

Parcells catches a ton of CRAP around here because we only had one division title and one playoff appearance with his regime so far, but people forget he changed the culture here to an extent.

I dont think Ireland was ever bad at all - there is ONE REASON FOR THIS - JUST ONE, and it goes like this:

Look at the 2009 Offensive line. It was SOLID, we were leading the league in rushing. Then all the sudden, sparano decided to constantly shuffle the line every damn down, and i have no idea why. Several of those guys that were on that line are now starting elsewhere in the league, it makes no sense. Couple that with Henne, and that is why we could never get over the hump PERIOD. Ireland brought in Reggie Bush, Brandon Marshall, Cam Wake, OV, Hartline, Clay etc.

Philbin didnt want some of those guys and they are now gone, and really ireland was just building what parcells and sporano wanted - and they sucked in this day and age to an extent, but ONE YEAR after philbin wanted a diff breed of player, this man has brought in the right guys, and more importantly, Philbin has gotten production out of Irelands "groceries" .

Another thing to add - If we lose Ireland after this season its a str8 up SIN. That is b/c - watch this team, the reason we are strong in December is mostly due to DEPTH. we have FINALLY after years of anquish built DEPTH on this team, that allows us to compete all season. Ireland has had a huge hand in building up this depth. I'm sick of this "what have you done lately" mentality in the NFL. look around the league - the best, perennial contenders stick with the same management and usually the same coaches for years at a time. Trying to strike gold every 3 years is just dumb, it rarely works.

That is also why everyone with the "clean house you get everyone" mentality is also dead wrong. Ross had it right. its showing. keep ireland.

From your keyboard to GOD's ear. Here I thought I was the only crazy one..

When Parcells went AWOL, I wanted EVERYONE associated with him gone... including Ireland. That didn't happen, so I just remained neutral. His performance has been both good and bad. Salary cap management has been good lately. As others have pointed out, his 2nd and 3rd rounds picks usually suck but he does find some late round picks that make the team. I hate having Ireland do the drafting. Someone needs to "guide" him on draft day... his talent evaluation of o-linemen is poor and someone else should be making those 2nd and 3rd round picks! IMO, he's more concerned with quantity and value than quality and finding playmakers. He fancies himself a genius by continuously moving up and down in the draft and out and then back in to rounds all for the sole purpose of ending up another 6th or 7th round pick. If Miami needs an impact player at an important position, Ireland will normally not pick one in the 1st round. He sees more value in drafting a projected 2nd rounder in the 3rd or 4th round to fill that position. This past draft was a head-scratcher; his top picks all had medical issues and are part-time situational players, and that's if they actually get on the field. If Taylor, Davis, and Dallas Thomas don't pan out then this draft was a bust.

That said, I'd rather keep Ireland and replace the coaching staff. I don't like Philbin's dink and dunk West Coast Offense. I don't like Sherman, period. I hate the fact that Philbin took a team with a decent running game that had no problems rushing the ball and converting on 3rd and short and turned it into an offense that uses short timing routes to replace the run and now struggles to make a 3rd and 1. I do not want a coaching staff that watched their young QB get pounded game after game and made no changes to the o-line until ordered to do something by the owner.

If this team makes the playoffs, then I credit the players for their efforts.

If you look at successful franchises, they all have stability, so I am willing to take a wait-and-see attitude with Ireland.

Yeah, the Lions spent years of stability with Matt Millen as GM. Look what that got them.

Back
Top Bottom