Who are your top 5 most underrated Dolphins ever? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who are your top 5 most underrated Dolphins ever?

#1 Louis Oliver
#2 John Offerdahl
#3 Jake Scott
#4 Jim Jensen
#5 Jarvis Williams

I was scanning the pages looking for Mark Dixon's name, amazed it hadn't come up, not until the last few posts. He was the definition of underrated, and I think this thread proves it.

Otherwise, it depends on underrated in historical perspective, or underrated at the time.

I'll offer one of each. Bill Stanfill is one of the great players in team history. I used to watch him play after play and often be amazed, not quite Ted Hendricks disruptive level but in that area. On sites like this Stanfill receives some praise from older posters like myself but the 20s/30s bunch doesn't seem to realize how special he was.

Okay, here's one no one will like. Donald Lee was perhaps the most under appreciated Dolphin I can remember during his tenure with the team. There was zero reason to cut him, not when you looked at the big picture. His blocking skills and technique and intensity were very good, dating to Mississippi State. Plenty of athletic ability. He dropped a few and posters here were livid, somehow overlooking the dirty work play after play. We kept a bunch of garbage over Lee that year. I remember KB21 posting in response to me, "Don't worry. We're not going to cut Donald Lee." Well, by all rights he should have been correct but the so-called brain trust shared the same over reactive mentality as the bulk of fans. I'm hardly asserting Lee is a great player, but very solid, certainly better than we've had at the position. I was happy for him when he was rewarded with a nice contract by Green Bay.

I was scanning the pages looking for Mark Dixon's name, amazed it hadn't come up, not until the last few posts. He was the definition of underrated, and I think this thread proves it.

Otherwise, it depends on underrated in historical perspective, or underrated at the time.

I'll offer one of each. Bill Stanfill is one of the great players in team history. I used to watch him play after play and often be amazed, not quite Ted Hendricks disruptive level but in that area. On sites like this Stanfill receives some praise from older posters like myself but the 20s/30s bunch doesn't seem to realize how special he was.

Okay, here's one no one will like. Donald Lee was perhaps the most under appreciated Dolphin I can remember during his tenure with the team. There was zero reason to cut him, not when you looked at the big picture. His blocking skills and technique and intensity were very good, dating to Mississippi State. Plenty of athletic ability. He dropped a few and posters here were livid, somehow overlooking the dirty work play after play. We kept a bunch of garbage over Lee that year. I remember KB21 posting in response to me, "Don't worry. We're not going to cut Donald Lee." Well, by all rights he should have been correct but the so-called brain trust shared the same over reactive mentality as the bulk of fans. I'm hardly asserting Lee is a great player, but very solid, certainly better than we've had at the position. I was happy for him when he was rewarded with a nice contract by Green Bay.

I would at no time ever choose David martin over Donald lee.

clear.gif

:sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

Underrated
1. Konrad (I have more respect for FBs & TEs than any other positions. One play your smashing into a D-Line or LB to block, the next your asked to catch and run like a WR or HB)
2. Ogunleye (I dont think Dolphin fans gave him nearly enough credit)
3. Jim Bates (Good D-Coordinator and interm HC)
4. Gadsden (Good hands)
5. Feeley (Our line was so terrible he was scrambling for his life 4/5 plays, but he never gave up )
Names I dont agree with.
1. Chambers (Most overrated Dolphin of my lifetime)
2. McDrop-A-Lot (Need I explain?)
3. Bowens (Good player but I believe he was well credited, so not over or under rated)
4. Fiedler (HA! If he was any good he woulda landed a job with someone other than the Jests, He only played in 2 games after we cut him)

kareem abdual jabaar because i think hes was our first 1000 yard rusher since larry csonka and led the league in touchdowns. If his knee didnt blow he couldve been great
o.j mcduffie the only man who showed up to catch the ball for marino in the later stage
jamie nails honestly not the greatest of all times but hes got a really cool name
brian cox i miss the days when the fins had a little bit of an atitude
ferrel edmunds because he was on techmo bowl and it ruled lol

kareem abdual jabaar because i think hes was our first 1000 yard rusher since larry csonka and led the league in touchdowns. If his knee didnt blow he couldve been great
o.j mcduffie the only man who showed up to catch the ball for marino in the later stage
jamie nails honestly not the greatest of all times but hes got a really cool name
brian cox i miss the days when the fins had a little bit of an atitude
ferrel edmunds because he was on techmo bowl and it ruled lol

To name a few i'm going to go with Atari Bigby who was an UDFA we picked up who is the starting FS for the 13-3 GB packers. Wes Welker who we all know what he can do, Donald Lee starting TE for the packers and another one that no one is mentioning Junior Seau. Guy is still playing at a decent level since getting cut by the Dolphins and is the starting LB for the Pats. Rob Konrad is another one who i think was wasted talent because of retards like Dave Wanstedt.

3. Bowens (Good player but I believe he was well credited, so not over or under rated)

THe only reason I put Bowens is I believe the last couple years he was here I believe we took him for granted. I also think he's a guy that should be mentioned in the same breath as Zach, JT, Madison, and Surtain from that defense. As I said before, he is the last Dolphin to win ROY

1. Manny Fernandez
2. Jim Kick
3. Mercury Morriss
4. Oronde Gadsden
5. Louis Oliver

How about the entire `72 defense...with the exception of Buonticonti, because he`s the only one in the HOF. Total travesty that Fernandez, Stanfill, denHerder, Anderson and Scott aren`t in Canton.

Back
Top Bottom