Who Gets National Title Shot? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who Gets National Title Shot?

Motion said:
Article I was reading the other day said OSU was only #1 in 3 of the 6 BCS components.
Maybe it's just me, but I don't pay any attention to this stuff, this early. It's too easy to let it get you bent out of shape, when it's really like looking at the first half of an equation and assuming you can solve it w/o the other half.
Reviewing these BCS rankings is an expercise in futility.

finswin56 said:
Maybe it's just me, but I don't pay any attention to this stuff, this early. It's too easy to let it get you bent out of shape, when it's really like looking at the first half of an equation and assuming you can solve it w/o the other half.
Reviewing these BCS rankings is an expercise in futility.

Couldn't agree more. Still ALOT of football to be played.

Motion said:
Couldn't agree more. Still ALOT of football to be played.

There is ALOT left. I'd like to see even more thought in the future.

I'd like to see the Big Ten have a championship game like Big XII and SEC have. It'd be tough to get them to agree to playing everyone in thier conference, like the Pac-10 does, because then they'd only be able to have 2 non-conference games. Not to mention, they'd never schedule to play anyone good outside thier own conference. It's hard enough as is for small schools to make a dent in recruiting, and if the Big Ten played no one out of conference, it'd be even tougher. That's why I want a championship game for the Big Ten, like the other 2 big boys have. Of course a playoff system might help the small schools out, but that is a whole nother thread, and I'm already off topic.

Frisches13283 said:

I'd like to see the Big Ten have a championship game like Big XII and SEC have. It'd be tough to get them to agree to playing everyone in thier conference, like the Pac-10 does, because then they'd only be able to have 2 non-conference games. Not to mention, they'd never schedule to play anyone good outside thier own conference. It's hard enough as is for small schools to make a dent in recruiting, and if the Big Ten played no one out of conference, it'd be even tougher. That's why I want a championship game for the Big Ten, like the other 2 big boys have. Of course a playoff system might help the small schools out, but that is a whole nother thread, and I'm already off topic.
They absolutely shoud, as should the Pac-10, and Big East.
It is ABSURD that the Big-12, SEC, and ACC play this game, when the other conferences do not. It is always a tough game, often it means having to play a team you already beat a second time. That makes it even tougher. The conference championships inequality, IMO, is worse than a lack of playoffs.

Frisches13283 said:

They could always split the conference into 2 divisions like the SEC, Big XII, and ACC does.

finswin56 said:
They absolutely shoud, as should the Pac-10, and Big East.
It is ABSURD that the Big-12, SEC, and ACC play this game, when the other conferences do not. It is always a tough game, often it means having to play a team you already beat a second time. That makes it even tougher. The conference championships inequality, IMO, is worse than a lack of playoffs.

In the Pac-10's defense, they opted to play all thier conference opponents rather than have the championship game. But I think the championship game is a better barometer as to who is deserving, because teams can heat up or cool down as the season goes on, so a team might be able to work it's way to the championship, and defeat a team that beat them early. And I'm sorry, but I don't rank the Big East up there with the SEC, Big XII, and Big Ten. I don't put them up there with the Pac-10 even. But to think that even the MAC plays a championship game, the Big East should too. (I think the MAC is fairly balanced overall, while the Big East is top heavy).

Motion said:
They could always split the conference into 2 divisions like the SEC, Big XII, and ACC does.

I know. I'm just saying they could do one or the other(a championship or play everyone), just not both. And I think it'd be better for college football if they didn't do what the Pac-10 does.

Frisches13283 said:
I know. I'm just saying they could do one or the other(a championship or play everyone), just not both. And I think it'd be better for college football if they didn't do what the Pac-10 does.

I agree

Frisches13283 said:
In the Pac-10's defense, they opted to play all thier conference opponents rather than have the championship game. But I think the championship game is a better barometer as to who is deserving, because teams can heat up or cool down as the season goes on, so a team might be able to work it's way to the championship, and defeat a team that beat them early. And I'm sorry, but I don't rank the Big East up there with the SEC, Big XII, and Big Ten. I don't put them up there with the Pac-10 even. But to think that even the MAC plays a championship game, the Big East should too. (I think the MAC is fairly balanced overall, while the Big East is top heavy).
The Big East is a BCS conference, therefore should be held to the same standard as the other conferences. I get what you mean in regard to their overall talent level.

I also understand the Pac-10 playing everyone, but is not anywhere close to having a championship game where you will play the other division's best team, and could very well be playing them for the second time.
But, I agree that the Big 10's situation is even worse than the Pac-10. BOTH need a championship.

Whitner20 said:
WV and Louisville don't play ANYONE.....there schedules are garbage, and the Big East is on par with Conf USA and the MAC as far as competitiveness.....

The Big 10, SEC, and Big 12 laugh at the Big east.

If either of those teams gets consideration over a legitimate team that lost a game, simply for going undefeated against the teams they played it would be a joke.

Ohio State will be playing either Florida, or USC....unless Florida drops 2 games, USC loses to Michigan and WV loses to Louisville, and Louisville loses to Rutgers, throwq in a Texas loss @ nebraska ....

...fast forward to Nov 18th....Ohio State beats Michigan, yet Michigan reamins @ #2 setting up a rematch for the national title.. Ohio State vs michigan....the utimate game between the ultimate rivals.....

Laugh at the Big East? Perhaps, although to laugh at WVU or Louisville is to laugh at your own peril.

However, I feel that it is completely acceptable to laugh at your post.
:lol: the ultimate rediculous statement from the ultimate homer

As for the conference championship games ... you guys do understand the reason why they play them don't you?

MONEY

It's not so the conference can look "tougher" or to get the league champ another win. It is simply to get another game in. Remember when the ACC was raiding the Big East (:fire: ) they were scrambling at the end to get another team so that they could have a championship game to increase league revenue.

Additional game = more loot

Bumpus said:
As for the conference championship games ... you guys do understand the reason why they play them don't you?

MONEY

It's not so the conference can look "tougher" or to get the league champ another win. It is simply to get another game in. Remember when the ACC was raiding the Big East (:fire: ) they were scrambling at the end to get another team so that they could have a championship game to increase league revenue.

Additional game = more loot

I know the reason is more money, but the result from that is still a better product overall for the conference and for college football.

If we want a better product for college football, then a playoff system is the only way to go.

I heard or read somewhere (i dont remember which one or where) that the Big Ten was lookin for another team to enter thier conference so they could divide the conference into 2 divisons and have a championship game. However this could have been a drunk guy one night sayin this and it turned into a rumor, i dont really know.

Bumpus said:
If we want a better product for college football, then a playoff system is the only way to go.

I agree. I would much rather have a playoff. Boise State might have thier chance at a NC that way, lol.

Back
Top Bottom