Who here wants Forrest Lamp? I do! | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who here wants Forrest Lamp? I do!

I'd much rather grab Lamp (unless Foster or Reddick are there) than reach for a DE that will be our 4th best DE this year.

The Pats have Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. Should we follow the way they draft DBs too lol

Cowboys built their line up and just made a Rookie 4th rd Qb a Pro Bowler and Elliot the NFL's leading rusher.

I know we need Defense but please not a high 2nd round guy just to fill a the "need" I guess we have.

If they go Defense then either hope Reddick or Foster are there or go DB. I'm just not sold on any of those DEs. I'd take Watt over one of them

Lamp/Reddick/Foster not in order just please one of them!! lol

i assure you any DE we draft in the first will not be our 4th best

and it's time we think about the future because our only real productive de when it comes to getting to the passer is at the point where we should expect a drop-off, and it could happen quick. when the best player you have at a major position (cb, de, qb, etc) is 35......there should be alarm going off

I'd much rather grab Lamp (unless Foster or Reddick are there) than reach for a DE that will be our 4th best DE this year.

The Pats have Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. Should we follow the way they draft DBs too lol

Cowboys built their line up and just made a Rookie 4th rd Qb a Pro Bowler and Elliot the NFL's leading rusher.

I know we need Defense but please not a high 2nd round guy just to fill a the "need" I guess we have.

If they go Defense then either hope Reddick or Foster are there or go DB. I'm just not sold on any of those DEs. I'd take Watt over one of them

Lamp/Reddick/Foster not in order just please one of them!! lol

I'm with you. Although if I was putting them in order, I would go Reddick, Foster and then Lamp. As I don't expect either LB to be there, Lamp likely is my choice.

I'm always in favor of a trade down so that is what I am hoping for most of all.

A couple of things. I never said I expect Phillips to be great but what I'm saying is I haven't given up on him. You said that they both have the same red flags, then why draft him just to have both guys with the same problems?

the other thing is that I agree that we need help at DT. I never said we should not draft one. All I'm saying is not at 22, specially a guy with those red flags. I'd love to see a DT next to Suh that can match his intensity and production. Trust me, I would love to see that. I don't believe this guy is worth taking at 22 but that's just my opinion. Like I said before, if we take him then I'll be rooting for him as much as anyone else.

Ozzy rules!!

I haven't given up on Phillips either but I would definitely hedge my bets. The real problem here is the weak DT class in this draft and the fact that we haven't signed anyone. Not sure I see many players outside of round 2 that can contribute week 1 but there are usually surprise players. I just don't see many. The FO wants up-field players who can penetrate.

I'm not saying McD is the answer at 22 because I don't like "football character" issues. Maybe Wormley in round 2.

We don't have the worst safeties in the league. We don't have the worst linebackers in the league. We don't have the worst defensive ends in the league. We don't have the worst corners in the league.

We do have the worst OGs in the league. The worst. This FO reacted smugly to the need and got burned in FA. So here we are. And add on to that that our center has hips that apparently are made of candy corn, which makes our entire interior OL a question mark made of ****. It's a recipe to get your QB killed, your running game stuck behind the LOS and your underpowered defense getting run up and down the field even worse than they already are.

This team is not close to seriously competing. But you can't evaluate **** if the interior of your OL is amateur hour.

Your right, this team isn't close to competing. Which is why you have to go pass rusher.

Defensive end has one of the longer learning curbs. It usually requires +2 years for them to live up to their potential. The longer wait to solve this problem the longer it will take to be solved. And we don't have that sort of time. Tannehill turns 29 this season. Suh just turned 30. It'll be 2019 or 2020 before we see the benefit of this years pass rush selection. And while that might be distasteful, it'll be even more distasteful to put that off a few more seasons. We might not have the worst defensive ends in the league but we sure as **** aren't winning a Superbowl with the 31st or 28th or 22nd ranked pass rush either. We need someone(s) to hit the quarterback and the best place to get those individuals is in the first round.

On the flip side, what does Lamp solve? If you or anyone else could assure me Lamp would finally solve our interior line woes then i'd be a lot more receptive. But even your post concedes center is a big question. I don't have much confidence in our other guard spot. For that matter, James hasn't exactly been inspiring and if i recall correctly Tunsil had injury concerns coming out of college. Our line is most likely going to be rat piss with or without Lamp. Yet, unlike defensive ends, offensive lineman can be plugged in relatively quickly. If we have to address this next season or the year after its far less devastating to our long term viability. And, of course, its far easier to find competent guards than it is to find great pass rushers.

Blowing our high draft picks on interior lineman just because we ****ed up in free agency is doubling down on our mistake. Its a reaction based on nothing more than perceived need and possibly hurt pride. As the Ju'Wuan James (and countless other picks) have shown: that's not the most efficient way to build a roster. This front office has to stop deluding itself into pretending its one player away from contending. Its not. We aren't one player away from fixing our defensive end position, much less the offensive line and our entire defense.

Conley won't be a Dolphin under any circumstance.

Sidney Jones would be a risk worth taking at 97. Despite what he says, I don't think I'd let him see the field in 2017 even if he was medically cleared.

If we are looking at corner's though, Desmond King needs to be the guy we target. He would be such a huge upgrade over Bobby McCain.

Buddha Baker in the 2nd is high on my wish list.

I haven't given up on Phillips either but I would definitely hedge my bets. The real problem here is the weak DT class in this draft and the fact that we haven't signed anyone. Not sure I see many players outside of round 2 that can contribute week 1 but there are usually surprise players. I just don't see many. The FO wants up-field players who can penetrate.

I'm not saying McD is the answer at 22 because I don't like "football character" issues. Maybe Wormley in round 2.

I actually saw a mock with Wormley to us at 54

Ozzy rules!!

This is a strong point. But I'd counter that with this: One player isn't fixing the defense. One ROOKIE isn't fixing the defense. I'm not even sure Myles Garrett could do that, so I'm definitely skeptical that the players who will be available at 22 are going to do that.

If the best pass rushers fly off the board, and the best safeties fly off the board, and you're stuck looking at Jabrill Peppers and Taco Charlton and yes, even Reuben "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM BITCH?" Foster, well, sign me up for some Lamp. Because I have serious reservations about some of the guys I see mocked to us at 22. I don't pretend to be a draft guru, but I don't think any of those guys are going to suddenly make the 2017 Dolphins defense respectable.

I maintain my belief that there are quality starting guards to be found out there, and that our biggest problem has been an inability to identify potential starters compounded by an inability to cut bait with ****ty players. The fact that Jermon Bushrod of all people came in and did an acceptable job at right guard despite not even being any good at it reinforces my belief that with good tackles outside, we just need guys who are COMPETENT in the middle. Not great, but competent.

And yet, nonetheless, I am willing to embrace the Lamp if those potential game changing defenders have flown off the board.

After spending years neglecting our defense (in order to arguably throw all our resources at our offensive line) its going to take time to un**** that side of our roster. We've already forfeited 2018. That's done. That was decided when Ross decided not to fire Ireland in 2013 and re-signed Philbin in 2014. The question isn't whether we should be scrambling to compete next year, its whether we want to do the things necessary to compete in 2020.

If our selection comes up and our choices are take a good player or take a bad player they should, of course, take the good player. But that should be a problem this year. 22 just isn't that low given how deep this draft is.

If they don't have any evidence (semen, abrasions, empty swisher sweet packages X)) then he should be able to sue the police or newspaper who leaked this for the residual loss incurred.

Can't believe we didn't pull an Al Davis with Lael Collins ala Bo Jackson. Kinda sad and pathetic nobody had the balls to throw in a token 7th on Collins.

I think that's why Dennis Hickey is no longer the GM of the Miami Dolphins. Armando reported that Stephen Ross wanted to take a chance on Collins in every round after the first but Hickey and Philbin did not.

Your right, this team isn't close to competing. Which is why you have to go pass rusher.

Defensive end has one of the longer learning curbs. It usually requires +2 years for them to live up to their potential. The longer wait to solve this problem the longer it will take to be solved. And we don't have that sort of time. Tannehill turns 29 this season. Suh just turned 30. It'll be 2019 or 2020 before we see the benefit of this years pass rush selection. And while that might be distasteful, it'll be even more distasteful to put that off a few more seasons. We might not have the worst defensive ends in the league but we sure as **** aren't winning a Superbowl with the 31st or 28th or 22nd ranked pass rush either. We need someone(s) to hit the quarterback and the best place to get those individuals is in the first round.

On the flip side, what does Lamp solve? If you or anyone else could assure me Lamp would finally solve our interior line woes then i'd be a lot more receptive. But even your post concedes center is a big question. I don't have much confidence in our other guard spot. For that matter, James hasn't exactly been inspiring and if i recall correctly Tunsil had injury concerns coming out of college. Our line is most likely going to be rat piss with or without Lamp. Yet, unlike defensive ends, offensive lineman can be plugged in relatively quickly. If we have to address this next season or the year after its far less devastating to our long term viability. And, of course, its far easier to find competent guards than it is to find great pass rushers.

Blowing our high draft picks on interior lineman just because we ****ed up in free agency is doubling down on our mistake. Its a reaction based on nothing more than perceived need and possibly hurt pride. As the Ju'Wuan James (and countless other picks) have shown: that's not the most efficient way to build a roster. This front office has to stop deluding itself into pretending its one player away from contending. Its not. We aren't one player away from fixing our defensive end position, much less the offensive line and our entire defense.

Lamp will be gone so he's not going to be the pick. I agree that we should draft a DE even if none will be perfect at 22. I believe that there will be at least 2 or 3 DE's that will be better pass rushers on their rooking year than anything we have other than Wake. Hayes is not a pass rusher and Branch will get you a sack every 3 games.

Ozzy rules!!

i assure you any DE we draft in the first will not be our 4th best

and it's time we think about the future because our only real productive de when it comes to getting to the passer is at the point where we should expect a drop-off, and it could happen quick. when the best player you have at a major position (cb, de, qb, etc) is 35......there should be alarm going off

Ya I think Wake, Branch, and Hayes will be better at least for this year.

I know what everyone is saying. It just seems that there's no without a doubt DE we should target.

Seems like a bunch of them but not a consensus.

Everyone loves Willis and I respect your guys knowledge. There must be reasons so i'll buy into the Willis hype

I know it's the draft so there really never is at 22 but it seems like I'm seeing a lot of these guys going really late first our early to mid 2nd rd.

I don't want to pick a guy with our first rd pick unless we're completely sold. Maybe we are.

We cannot neglect the the Lber position either.

I hope I'm wrong if we choose that route because I just want to win football games lol

Ya I think Wake, Branch, and Hayes will be better this year at least. I know what everyone is saying. It just seems that there's no without a doubt DE. I know it's the draft so there really never is at 22 but it seems like i'm seeing a lot of these guys going really late first our early to mid 2nd rd. I don't want to pick a guy with our first rd pick unless we're completely sold. Maybe we are. I hope I'm wrong if we take that route because I just want to win football games lol

i hear you but the problem is as you implied there never is a sure thing nfl de at 22, those guys typically go top 5

this is the draft class where there actually is legit talent at the position at 22 - and for that reason i think we need to try and capture some of that

The Dolphins sent their D-Line coach out to Michigan State to work him out. I think they are interested. I would be hesitant because of his reported attitude and locker room issues. But IF Miami feels comfortable, they just might select him at #22. There is a lot of talent and versatility to work with. But the big question is can Gase and Company maximize his potential and transform McDowell into the supreme player he could potentially be?

Going back even a little further here are all of our rd 1 OL selections from '04 -current:

'04 - Vernon Carey
'08 - Jake Long
'11 - Mike Pouncey
'14 - Ja'Wuan James
'16 - Laremy Tunsil
Fully ONE THIRD of all our first round picks in the last 15 years are offensive line and we still have ? marks on the line. If we draft Lamp at 22 then it will be 4 of the last 7 (57%)!!!

Tunsil is the only truly solid fill in.
Pouncey is only as good as his injuries will allow.
James we have to decide by May 3rd to give a 8.1M 5th year option to and I don't think he's worth it.

Also think of it this way, there are ZERO 2nd to 7th round Dolphin drafted offensive linemen on the roster from ANY DRAFT YEAR. What type of crap is that?

Most of our college scouts are the same ones that have been with the organization for 10 to 20 years. Something tells me Miami doesn't know how to evaluate linemen.

Fully one third of all our first round picks in the last 15 years are offensive line and we still have ? marks on the line.

Tunsil is the only truly solid fill in.
Pouncey is only as good as his injuries will allow.
James we have to decide by May 3rd to give a 8.1M 5th year option to and I don't think he's worth it.

Also think of it this way, there are ZERO 2nd to 7th round Dolphin drafted offensive linemen on the roster from ANY DRAFT YEAR. What type of crap is that?

Most of our college scouts are the same ones that have been with the organization for 10 to 20 years. Something tells me Miami doesn't know how to evaluate linemen.

either that or our GM's haven't been listening to the scouts

if we miss on another DT, combined with Suh's salary, how many mortises do we go to the well?

Back
Top Bottom