Who here wants Forrest Lamp? I do! | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who here wants Forrest Lamp? I do!

McDowell would not have an impact on Phillips. McDowell would in theory be a younger/better version of how we used Derrick Shelby and Jason Jones as well as how we will probably use William Hayes. DE early and movie inside on passing downs.

Also, since everybody loved this guy's film of Peppers, here's Brett Kolman with a breakdown of McDowell (he is VERY high on him)

[video=youtube;Cy7erbPJISQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy7erbPJISQ[/video]

I also don't think it's wise to try and mimic someone else's success. New England should not be anyone's template for how to build a championship ball club. In the mid 2000's they were much more dominant than they've been in recent years and they've basically just been hanging around for the last 5 years. Kudo's to them for finding a way to beat Seattle and Atlanta in those last 2 SB wins but they had no business winning either game IMO.

The AFC has lacked true competition for them outside of Manning's Denver teams. Pittsburgh has no defense, KC has no QB or reliable offensive threats outside of Kelce.

I'd rather follow the path the Cowboys have taken recently to being a good team, than the Patriots.

Not only would I be happy with Lamp in the first, I am crazy enough to take Elfein in the third too if available to me.

Once Ajayi runs for 1800 yards and Tannehill has 35 TD's I'd look a visionary.

We gotta stop bringing up Suh's contact to justify not investing another premium resource in the DT position. Jordan Phillips, as of today, is a bum. It is what it is. He has displayed terrible gap integrity when it comes to stopping the run. And in general, gets taken out of way too many plays. We're going to continue to have a leaky defense if that position isn't addressed. We don't need a "rotational DT", we need a capable starter aside Suh.

You're right, in regards to run defense the question is...how much more stout is McDowell against the run than Phillips? He very well could be the BPA at 22, there isn't a doubt in my mind that he has All-Pro potential, he could become a dominant player, you don't really say that about a lot of prospects, even players with 1st round grades. I'd be fine with him at 22, or late 20s on a trade down.

I also don't think it's wise to try and mimic someone else's success. New England should not be anyone's template for how to build a championship ball club. In the mid 2000's they were much more dominant than they've been in recent years and they've basically just been hanging around for the last 5 years. Kudo's to them for finding a way to beat Seattle and Atlanta in those last 2 SB wins but they had no business winning either game IMO.

The AFC has lacked true competition for them outside of Manning's Denver teams. Pittsburgh has no defense, KC has no QB or reliable offensive threats outside of Kelce.

I'd rather follow the path the Cowboys have taken recently to being a good team, than the Patriots.

Not only would I be happy with Lamp in the first, I am crazy enough to take Elfein in the third too if available to me.

Once Ajayi runs for 1800 yards and Tannehill has 35 TD's I'd look a visionary.

And then we'll be bounced in the first rd just like the Cowboys b/c of defense.

I agree you can't copy NE's success as they have the greatest HC in NFL history, but ignoring the defense is no blueprint for success.

We probably won't go DT early, but best believe I'd be stocking up on DT's in the 5th round on, Tupou out of Idaho, Glen Antoine, Grover Stewart, I'm taking all of em late/signing as UDFA's if it was up to me.

Soliai was a 4th round pick who was only asked to play on run downs. Most coaches expect to have to develop 4th rounders. Big difference between 52 and 108. Bill Polian lost it years ago and says so much off the wall stuff nowadays that I cannot take him seriously.

It's a little ironic that you are confident in Phillips but don't like McDowell. They both have the same "red flags" concerning effort and work ethic.

The fact that we have invested SO much in Suh, just makes finding a partner for him more important. He is just wasting away at the moment with little help and he is already 30 years old. We have 4 DE's whether you like them or not. We only have 2 DT's. Same goes with LB, FS and G. Starters have been put in place by the FO. While most of us may not like the players slotted at some of those positions, they have been addressed. DT has not.

Phillips is good for 20-25 snaps a game and has shown nothing to make anyone think he can handle more. Gase has been on him to get his snaps up. It's a huge gamble (at the cost of our run defense) to assume he will work harder this year than he has the previous two years. He couldn't even displace underachieving, Earl Mitchell. Most players like this don't get motivated until their contract year.

McDowell may not be the player for us but we have a huge need at DT.

---------- Post added at 09:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 AM ----------

All very true.

A couple of things. I never said I expect Phillips to be great but what I'm saying is I haven't given up on him. You said that they both have the same red flags, then why draft him just to have both guys with the same problems?

the other thing is that I agree that we need help at DT. I never said we should not draft one. All I'm saying is not at 22, specially a guy with those red flags. I'd love to see a DT next to Suh that can match his intensity and production. Trust me, I would love to see that. I don't believe this guy is worth taking at 22 but that's just my opinion. Like I said before, if we take him then I'll be rooting for him as much as anyone else.

Ozzy rules!!

I'm starting to believe this will all be academic. I think Lamp is going top 20 and we won't have to make a decision on him

Imagine if he was a RB or a WR.....with the football on his hands people would be screaming "run Forrest, Forrest run".....lol

Ozzy rules!!

If I were the Dolphins I'd pick Sidney Jones in The 3rd and take Conley with any pick after the 4th round . At that point we would have a scary young secondary. Wouldn't mind trading up in the first for hooker either. If I was the GN that would cross my mind. I don't want to take a LB first round because he won't be on the field that much .

I'd much rather grab Lamp (unless Foster or Reddick are there) than reach for a DE that will be our 4th best DE this year.

The Pats have Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. Should we follow the way they draft DBs too lol

Cowboys built their line up and just made a Rookie 4th rd Qb a Pro Bowler and Elliot the NFL's leading rusher.

I know we need Defense but please not a high 2nd round guy just to fill a the "need" I guess we have.

If they go Defense then either hope Reddick or Foster are there or go DB. I'm just not sold on any of those DEs. I'd take Watt over one of them

Lamp/Reddick/Foster not in order just please one of them!! lol

He didn't have a full time position so his time at DE was sporadic. His '16 game vs ND had a decent amount of looks with most of them coming at the end of each half vs high percentage passing situations.

[video=youtube;ZfC1c8zwCVU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfC1c8zwCVU[/video]

Plays DE @ minute marks:
2:35
3:31
3:40
3:50
4:12
7:34
7:59
8:07
8:14

*7:00 - receives an unsportsmanlike penalty after ND scores.

Much appreciated. Overall, he looked good. He does need to work on his hands. He allows himself to get into the body of OTs too much and it bogs him down. Not surprising though given his primary role inside. I could see him becoming a force outside with good coaching and a willing attitude.

Biggest factor in all of this is his "toxic attitude" and "locker room presence" everyone keeps talking about. Unless those labels are inaccurate, I don't see Gase believing he fits their culture.

I think he's going to be a stud. Problem is we already have one lazy DT. I would love to see teams try to run with Hayes and Malik setting the edge.

Gase should know a lot about a Michigan State player. He might be a total stud and our 1st pick. They know more than me so whatever lol

I'd much rather grab Lamp (unless Foster or Reddick are there) than reach for a DE that will be our 4th best DE this year.

The Pats have Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. Should we follow the way they draft DBs too lol

Cowboys built their line up and just made a Rookie 4th rd Qb a Pro Bowler and Elliot the NFL's leading rusher.

I know we need Defense but please not a high 2nd round guy just to fill a the "need" I guess we have.

If they go Defense then either hope Reddick or Foster are there or go DB. I'm just not sold on any of those DEs. I'd take Watt over one of them

Lamp/Reddick/Foster not in order just please one of them!! lol

I believe at this point that Lamp will be gone and so will Reddick. Foster might drop but not to 22 imo. I agree all the DE's that could be there at 22 come with question marks but we have to take somebody. Our best move could be moving down and adding a 3rd round pick then we could take one of those dynamic pass rushers and have an extra pick to play with.

Ozzy rules!!

Only risk i want is trading up for Hooker

I know dude. That's my wish. I know trading up isn't everyone or anyone's top choice but Malik Hooker looks like he might actually be the next Ed Reed.

As far as Conley goes, we should def grab him if he has some crazy fall. I doubt he will though.

Back
Top Bottom