Why does everyone think the jets are so good? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why does everyone think the jets are so good?

Didn't they finish near last on both O and D? I don't get it either. I think they'll be one of the worst teams this year. Bottom 10.

Thanks for pointing that out. This is actually quite interesting so I did some research on it.

Total Offense
Dolphins - 20th
Jets - 25th

Total Defense

Dolphins - 4th
Jets - 20th

This is amazing isn't it? We're better in both statistics, even on Offense and clearly on Defense (nothing new). But the Total Defense statistic is not a good indicator for successful teams anyway. Out of the Top 4 Teams in Total Defense only one (Baltimore) went to the playoffs. Oakland (3rd) even finished with the worst record giving them the right to pick first in the draft.

BUT the answer to our disappointing season and to the question stated in this thread lies in Scoring Offense/Defense. So let's take a look at that:

Scoring Offense
Dolphins - 29th
Jets - 18th

Scoring Defense
Dolphins - 5th
Jets - 6th

Scoring Offense is one of the best indicators for Playoff-Teams. All Top 7 Teams in this statistics went to the playoffs and the first team to finish below .500 is Arizona at 19.

It's as simple as that. We just couldn't score last year. But we are not that far away from being a playoff team. Let's hope for Cam to get this offense going and scoring.

Thanks for pointing that out. This is actually quite interesting so I did some research on it.

Total Offense
Dolphins - 20th
Jets - 25th

Total Defense
Dolphins - 4th
Jets - 20th

This is amazing isn't it? We're better in both statistics, even on Offense and clearly on Defense (nothing new). But the Total Defense statistic is not a good indicator for successful teams anyway. Out of the Top 4 Teams in Total Defense only one (Baltimore) went to the playoffs. Oakland (3rd) even finished with the worst record giving them the right to pick first in the draft.

BUT the answer to our disappointing season and to the question stated in this thread lies in Scoring Offense/Defense. So let's take a look at that:

Scoring Offense
Dolphins - 29th
Jets - 18th

Scoring Defense
Dolphins - 5th
Jets - 6th

Scoring Offense is one of the best indicators for Playoff-Teams. All Top 7 Teams in this statistics went to the playoffs and the first team to finish below .500 is Arizona at 19.

It's as simple as that. We just couldn't score last year. But we are not that far away from being a playoff team. Let's hope for Cam to get this offense going and scoring.

Very well put, i like the research!

The Jets had stability at QB and offensive line last season. They had solid coaching and almost always beat the weaker teams that they faced. Since most of their schedule was weaker teams that was good enough to get them into the playoffs. Their offense was nothing spectacular but it definitely seemed efficient. Same with their D. Whether or not they'll be able to duplicate that success again this season remains to be seen. I don't think they'll be a bottom 10 team. In recent seasons they've usually seemed to live or die by Chad Pennington's health.

All teams in the AFC east had nearly the same schedules so i hate when jets haters pull out the easy schedule card cuz its garbage

I agree, it's nonsense to use the Easy-Schedule-Argument especially on teams within the same division.

Since 14 games are always the same for every team in the division it's hard to make a big argument for the remaining two having such an impact. Even if you leave out those two games for the Jets (Loss at Cleveland; Win against Oakland) they still went 9-5 against teams everybody had to face.

It's not a bad argument at all. The Jets were a better team than Miami. That is evident in their head-to-head battles, as well as their record's against common opponents. However, saying that the Jets were the beneficiaries of a weak schedule isn't a false statement at all. They beat one opponent with a winning record. That is a fact. The Jaguars were a beneficiary of an easy schedule in 2005. They didn't make the playoffs last year with a much more difficult schedule. We'll see what the Jets will do this year.

The Jets had stability at QB and offensive line last season. Since most of their schedule was weaker teams that was good enough to get them into the playoffs.
I think that our opponents win % was about the same, so the easy schedule went out the window a looooong time ago!

They finished last in 05 so they were scheduled against two other last place teams. I'm sure you all know how the scheduling works. Even two or three games makes a difference. But go on thinking the Jets were a powerhouse. Being better than a team run by the egomaniac, in over his head Nick saban and one run by two guys who are nursing home age is not some kind of monumental achievement. The Jets did the fundamentals (besides running) well and benefited from an easy schedule. The 06 Jets = the 05 Jags.

AFC East against common opponents
New England 11-3
New York 9-5
Buffalo 7-7
Miami 5-9

As you can see the 2 remaining games did not effect the outcome of this division. The Jets might not be as good as their record but they have clearly been the second best team within those 4 last season.

However I'd say there have been some better teams that didn't make the playoffs in the AFC instead of the Jets. But after all they've won 10 games and Miami alone played a bigger role in those wins than Cleveland and Oakland.

Back
Top Bottom