Why Glenn Dorsey is NOT the right choice | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Glenn Dorsey is NOT the right choice

Picking McFadden would be a complete waste of a pick.

The Dolphins DO NOT need another HB on their roster..

As for those on the anti-Dorsey bandwagon, the guy was one of the best players in college football, despite being banged up most of the season and despite being double and often times triple teamed by opposing offensive lines.

The guy is a pure talent. He's a run stuffer. He's disruptive as a pass rusher. Miami needs both more than anything else.

Maybe we could need to add one RB, but only if Ronnie can't return full recovered. Even with Chatman, this pick may sound intelligent if Ronnie doesn't shows signs of a healthy recovery.
:unsure:

he is too short for DE and it is a waste of his talent to be fattened up for NT

he is a 3 technique DT and people are determined to make him something else

and who in the world would want to spend the first pick in the draft on a NT? that is just crazy talk

BTW I have made many posts and I won't keep repeating my thoughts every time

brevity is the soul of wit, I don't think I should have to write 50 pages to be valid

He doesn't need to be 6'7 to play 3-4 end, especially on the left side. He needs to use his hands and work angles and leverage, which is what he does so well.

You keep talking about fattening him up; he's 316. That's 17lbs heavier than Jay Ratliff, 6lbs heavier than one of the best NT's in football in Kelly Gregg and 5lbs lighter than an All Pro NT in Casey Hampton was at the same stage of his career.

He's a 3 technique who has the versatility to work the formation and you're continuing to work on the assumption that we're running a 3-4. At the moment we have one player who's a natural 3-4 fit and that's Joey Porter.

And yet again, no-one is spending the 1st pick on a NT because Dorsey is more than a NT and if you look at the way we were gashed last season, I'd say getting a great run playing DT is a pretty damn good way to start.

Hey Boomer please dont waste your time on posters that have no real argument!!

lbm has an argument - I just wanted to see what it was and why he was so vehemently against it. I think I'd rather run the 4-3 at the moment as well, but I absolutely disagree that Dorsey is JUST a 3 technique or a NT. But if we didn't disagree, the draft would be boring as hell.

;)

Am I missing something here? How different is a 4-3, and a 3-4 for a DT? Seriousely. He's a runstopper period, who cares which formation it is?

And yet again, no-one is spending the 1st pick on a NT because Dorsey is more than a NT and if you look at the way we were gashed last season, I'd say getting a great run playing DT is a pretty damn good way to start.

thats kind of a needs based assessment

if we can't find a guy in the later rounds to stop the gashing, then we are in trouble

we should try fattening up a 6'5" guy and put him in the middle

thats kind of a needs based assessment

if we can't find a guy in the later rounds to stop the gashing, then we are in trouble

we should try fattening up a 6'5" guy and put him in the middle

We drafted that sort of guy last year in Paul Soliai. How'd that work out?

If we're not picking for need, what are we picking for because as far as I can see, we don't have a position on the team that isn't a need.

Am I missing something here? How different is a 4-3, and a 3-4 for a DT? Seriousely. He's a runstopper period, who cares which formation it is?

you are missing something, to play the 3-4 would'nt you like an ideal NT?

why shoehorn a guy into a position just because he is the BPA

if Dorsey is clearly the BPA, then we should go to the 4-3

I don't even like the idea of taking a DT #1, a LT or pass rusher is a much more suitable pick. or even Ryan, if our guys really like him

We drafted that sort of guy last year in Paul Soliai. How'd that work out?

If we're not picking for need, what are we picking for because as far as I can see, we don't have a position on the team that isn't a need.

I thought I was bad for prejudging draftees

I hope the new regime can do something with Paul

this is why I am anti-3-4, it is sofa-king hard to find a NT. and if you do find him what is he goes down?

OK. If we play a 4-3, Dorsey will play the left side of the two DT's; commonly known as the 3 technique. A smaller, quicker, gap shooting interior man who can collapse a pocket and get after the QB, as well as playing the run. The right side of the two DT's is usually a bigger guy, that enables the 3 technique to make plays. The ideal tandem is Kevin and Pat Williams in Minnesota. Kevin is 308lbs and is devastating as a 3. Williams is close to 345 and was a NT in Buffalo and enables Kevin to do his thing, all the while playing at a Pro Bowl level himself.

In the 3-4, you're looking for a NT, a 0 technique. Parcells favours a 2 gap scheme, so it's a guy that takes on the center and guard and tries to stop the QB stepping up in the pocket and shutting the interior run lanes, allowing the two MLB's to make plays.

I thought I was bad for prejudging draftees

I hope the new regime can do something with Paul

this is why I am anti-3-4, it is sofa-king hard to find a NT. and if you do find him what is he goes down?

I'm not pre-judging him at all. I thought he was a 1st round talent that we absolutely stole in the 4th round. But I'm merely going back at your 'get a 6'5 guy and fatten him up' comment. It's not that simple, is my point.

I'm not pre-judging him at all. I thought he was a 1st round talent that we absolutely stole in the 4th round. But I'm merely going back at your 'get a 6'5 guy and fatten him up' comment. It's not that simple, is my point.

do you think he is lazy, or just poorly coached?

do you think he is lazy, or just poorly coached?

Soliai? I think he's devastatingly raw. I don't think he has any idea how to use his hands and I don't think he understands his body and leverage. He needs a LOT of work. I would hope that Kacy Rodgers makes him his pet project and gets him into Davie everyday and get him working.

Back
Top Bottom