Why is everyone all over Tavon Austin | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why is everyone all over Tavon Austin

The Ideal situation would be adding Austin + a taller bigger(6'5+) TE that could be a height mismatch and TD threat to groom behind Keller.

Guys, Tavon is the guy I want at #12. If you hear the way the finsiders talk about him you realize he is the only playmaker worthy of our selection. We can address other positions later in the draft. He would make defenses have nightmares...That's my two cents.

I think Austin does fit a need in that he possesses an explosiveness that none of the other receivers have. Wallace is more than just a speed guy, but for the most part the deep threat is what he is. Hartline can get down the field pretty well and make the difficult catch, but isn't that zero to full speed guy like Austin is. Bess and Gibson are more possession guys than play makers. Although I admit I haven't seen much of Gibson.

The fact that we have multiple picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds gives us more flexibility to take a chance in the first. Unless someone unexpected falls, I wouldn't be apposed to Austin.

I guess some people are content with only having one explosive receiver on offense. Which is why we see so many people say why draft Austin or another potential big play receiver when we already have Gibson, Hartline, Bess, Matthews and Binns. We should be happy with a decent receiving corps and not take any chances on making it a great one. We should all be content with just being a possible playoff team but not bother to become a team that can challenge the Patsies for the division. We don't care if our team has a chance to sniff a Superbowl.

Sorry but I'm not content with my favorite team only being just above average. I want them to be great. The only way to become great is by taking chances and adding potential explosive players/play makers to your team.

The Dolphins need to add another big play potential receiver. They need to add another solid tight end. They need to find a couple more ball hawking corners. They need to find another monster pass rusher to line up opposite Wake. Would also be nice to find another safety to play opposite Jones. Also need to add another big physical running back. Of course we know they still need to add another Offensive Tackle and athletic Guard.

At this point, there are 5 players that I would be very happy with in the first round. They are (in no particular order) Lane Johnson, Tavon Austin, Tyler Eifert, Isaih Trufant or Bjoern Werner. Tavon would make our passing attack special IMO.

He's a rare talent. Look at at the kind of plays he makes, you don't just find guys like that on trees.

That said, I don't think we're going to draft him because Joe Philbin wants receivers who can play from any position and I don't know if he has the size or skills to be an outside receiver.

Every time he touches the ball he is a legit threat to take it the distance. I would love to see the Phins get him!

As I said in another Austin post, I'm on record saying I would prefer Tyler Eifert and I am not as big of a fan of Austin as most here. However, with the rule changes in the NFL the game is becoming like a flag football or 7-on-7 game. It would be hard to argue that there's a better flag football player in the draft than Austin. Those of us who like size have to remember that the game is changing and size is not as valuable as it once was. Speed is now golden and Austin has tons of speed.

If we drafted Austin, it would spread out the defenses against us with wallace, keller and austin.

I'm more concerned about Ryan Swope's durability with the concussions he has had..... Could be Blair White 2.0..... Tavon never missed a practice let alone a game in 4 years

I'm not taking that away from him, and no I don't live under a rock. I would love to have him, but at 5'8" he just doesn't have both the size and speed I would prefer.
However Patterson has both, and probably the most upside of any receiver in a few years to come out of the draft.

Quote:
He may be considered raw with his ability to handle physical coverage, but Patterson is one of the more naturally talented pass catchers to come along in the last few years. He only has one year of tape against FBS level of competition, but from the first game Patterson showed his versatility by making plays from a variety of alignments. If the Vol can start using his hands to release off the line and tighten up some technique issues, he should be one of this class' top playmakers. He should be a first-round selection and could be the first receiver off the board. Used occasionally at running back, has the speed and wiggle to beat defenders to the edge while utilizing hesitations moves. Very nimble on his feet, especially for size. Makes plays out of nothing when carrying the ball. Numerous natural qualities to his game. The Vols started to use Patterson more and more from the running back position, and he tallied 208 rushing yards and three touchdowns on 25 carries. The junior returned four punts for 101 yards and a touchdown. However, Patterson did most of his damage as a kick returner, compiling 671 yards and another touchdown on 24 attempts. He set an SEC single-season record with a combined kickoff and punt return average of 27.6 yards, and a school record of 1,858 all-purpose yards. Patterson, became the first NCAA player in four years to score a touchdown four different ways.

Except for Demaryius Thomas, Dez Bryant, AJ Green, Julio Jones, Justin Blackmon, Michael Floyd, and Kendall Wright.

Im not giving my vote for the guy yet, but he could be fun to watch lined up against the other team's #3 or #4 cb in space. I can also see this plausible as Austin being the Randall Cobb as others have said. Young, fast, playmaking offense with a young, fast, playmaking defense under Philbin sounds good to me.

As each FA signs with us I'm getting more and more confident that we will have a BPA drafted in the first round. If Philbin and Ireland feel that's Austin so be it.

I wonder how everyone would feel IF Austin was on the board @ #12 and Miami chose another player?

Back
Top Bottom