Why is Landry worth 8 million more then Edelman? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why is Landry worth 8 million more then Edelman?

What the FA market will bear.

The Dolphins FO might not be willing to pay it, but this is a consequences of their contract choices in recent years.

Myself, I'm hoping they sign Landry, even if it's a slight overpay.

What the market will bear might be what it takes to sign a player, but it is not what a team trying to be competitive should necessarily pay. The Browns could easily outbid us, the question is does he want to play for the Browns to maximize his pay, or a team that at least tries to win. The team's thought has to be how many wins does he provide us above (a cheaper and available) replacement player and how many dollars against the cap is each win worth. Landry probably has the best WAR of any slot receiver in the league, but just how high is any slot receiver's WAR? If we lost Landry and put Grant in the slot, how does that affect our W/L and could we remedy any decline more efficiently (ie come out better) by putting that money elsewhere (TE/OL/LB with better WAR/cost ratios, etc.). It's the job of the front office people to be right in their math. If there were no cap, signing Landry for pretty much whatever he wants is a no-brainer as his WAR is likely higher than any other slot, but WAR/Cost could be a different story in a league with a cap.

Last edited:
"Likely"? Some players are just not ready for years. If Belichick thought Edelman was ready, Welker would have been traded years before his departure. That's his MO.

I think there was a plan in place for Welker's last year in NE but Edelman got hurt. The Pats tagged Wes and it was rumored his cap number was killing Belichick. At the beginning of the season he was playing Edelman but he got hurt fording Bill to play Wes again and Welker got the last lasugh (I think he even smarted off about it in a press conference).

It’s not about Landry’s production.

I just can’t pay a guy 14 million a year who can’t threaten then entire field. It’s not a smart way to spend money.

Hopkins? Brown? OBJ? Are worth that and more because they do what Landry does better than he does and also do things he physically can’t do.

He ain’t no elite WR.

Reality? We are comparing production of one guy who played with an inexperienced college QB who got "developed" by Joe Philbin to a WR playing for a HOF QB and a HOF head coach....and it took him MUCH longer to develop.

I agree to a point. I'm in no way try to point out that Landry is not gifted. He is very much talented without a doubt. He is much better than Edelman with the ball in his hands. My major point in all this is that from a production stand point they are very comparable, and you pay players based on production....not how much heart they have. If our kicker out committed and out "hearted" Landry every time he was on the field are we going to advocate paying him far outside of the parameters of what a kicker should logically get?

I just don't buy this notion that Landry is going to go to another team and turn in to a 1400+ 12 TD #1 receiver. More than likely his production will go down, and if it doesn't you will see a team force feed him bc they paid him ridiculous money and have to.....and you will see that team under-perform and not have a high scoring O. Exactly like the 2017 Miami Dolphins. If you run your O through your slow (relative....he's still fast compared to me) slot receiver you will not succeed. You put him on the Patriots and his production is no better, bc he will be ONE piece of a complete offense that will spread the ball around.

"Likely"? Some players are just not ready for years. If Belichick thought Edelman was ready, Welker would have been traded years before his departure. That's his MO.

To clarify I meant over the four year period Edelman became a full time starter. He missed 9 games. So considering he got around 3700 yards and 20 TDs, I'd say it's likely he would have surpassed Landry if you compare those four seasons.

As for his first four, he was a depth chart guy and special team player. He was also making the transition from quarterback to receiver. So he never came out of college as polished as Landry, nor did he come out with the same experience. That's why he didn't enter a primary role straight away combined with Welker and other receivers being ahead of him.

Back
Top Bottom