Why is Landry worth 8 million more then Edelman? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why is Landry worth 8 million more then Edelman?

Just to complete the picture: 27th in receiving yards post-merger with his 400 catches in his first four seasons, which makes him 91st in yards per reception. Davone Bess is 90th. Also Landry ranks 50th in receiving TDs with 22. Gronkowski is 3rd with 42 TDs after his first four seasons.

50th in tds . . . For a guy primarily in the slot is real solid. Be interested to see what slot guys are ahead of him.

As for YPC . . . Take a look at his broken tackle numbers for wide outs. They are near the top as well. There is a reason why they want the ball in his hands, even on poorly executed bubble screens behind the LOS.

Kdawg logic is correct IMO along with parts of other threads here. Laundry did the man up thing this year for the phins and gave up his body in a loosing cause for the team that drafted him. He easily could have gotten hurt but he gambled when our team was unwilling too and now they and their fans must pay the piper or cry and complain when he walks. Next our coach and GM can waste another draft pick on another wide receiver, hope he develops when they could have used the pick on an area of need like the o-line or line backer positions. I laugh at the Madden like posts in this forum that valuable players on the phins teams can easily be disguarded without a cost, especially for a club like ours that has a poor track record of aquiring and developing talent. Why sign Laundry 3 reasons, when the chains need to be moved and the tough catch made the game flows to him and the offense gets to stay on the field and our defense gets to rest, second while Laundry is not a home run threat he opens up the field and creates opportunities for guys like Parker, Drake and others to make plays third the only legit discussion that holds logic on why to let Laundry walk is if the Dolphins already have currently some player on the roster like a Carroo whom is ready to step up and fill in the void when Laundry departs and we simply do not.

Last edited:
I know you have watched this Dolphins offense since Landry has been here . . . .there has yet to be an equivalent of one season of decent offensive line play during his tenure. It is not a coincidence that Jarvis is the producer he is as Tannehill/others don't have the proper time to set up things on the outside with any consistency. Jarvis has been that safety valve.

AHA! You sir, have just stated almost exactly what I believe to be Miami's problem on offense and why Landry is NOT worth big bucks. Under Philbin and Gase, Miami's o-line play has been below average at best. I sincerely believe that both Philbin and Gase were/are not too worried about the o-line because they prefer an offense based on the short pass. Why would you need a line full of big, strong, physically dominating linemen when the QB should be throwing the ball almost immediately after the snap? There is little need for sustaining blocks, so in this style of offense the emphasis is put on the WRs, not the linemen.

I don't feel that this style of offense is effective for Miami. While I'm not a huge Tannenhill fan, I believe that the somewhat successful 2016 season was due to his ability to roll out and make plays downfield. This vertical passing game is what opened up the running game for Ajayi, and forced defenses to defend the entire field. This type of offense was effective, and could be the key to future success if they would only build a strong o-line and scrap that dink-and-dunk garbage. In 2017, without the deep ball threat, Miami ran the offense through Landry and it was pathetic. It seems to me that the more catches Landry gets, the less points and wins they get. With a better, stronger o-line they can be more consistent in the running game and the vertical passing game, which in turn would make it easier for a half-decent slot WR to get open; so why pay Landry big bucks?

Not worth it - move on - we need linebackers, offensive linemen, TE's, RB depth, backup QB, - put the $ where it will be useful. Landry can go have a career in LA and help Goff, or Seattle or somewhere else.

Who cares about all of this "take care of your own" on 6 and 10 teams? It is why we are f...ing 6 and 10 or 8-8 every year. The guy is tough but he runs with bricks in his shoes. I would struggle with paying him 5 or 6 million a year - but I guess that's why I am not affiliated with the team's front office in any way.

There has to be a way to have our cake and eat it too on this Landry debate. Can't a deal be constructed with Landry that pays him his money and doesn't keep us in salary cap hell for years to come? Kdawg put together something a few weeks back that made sense to me, Landry got his money and it seemed like a win win for both parties. Maybe we can give him a large signing bonus this year with decreasing payments over the life of the contract, it's not like we are going to the SB next year, in other words we take the hit now rather than later. In 2019 we have other contracts that we can jettison to free up more money and with the cap going up every year a scenario like this could work. I am no capologist and I might be more than likely speaking out of my ass, but can something like this work?

But isn't it about more than individual numbers? If Miami had Landry and Edelman and Landry went down week one with a season ending injury do you think Miami's win total would be different? My question is what are you getting in the win column for the $12 or $15 million you're spending? If I can win just as many games with a $7 million or $8 million receiver as I can with a $12 million or $15 million why should I spend more? I'm not saying I'm against keeping Landry, but it might not be a wise cap move.
I think that's a good point. I don't see Landry being a big jump in wins over a replacement player that's making $7M. I'd rather have that replacement player and have that extra $7M to invest in a guard. Give Tanne some more protection, open up some better running lanes and the offense as a whole would benefit.

Most players play for New England to win a championship. They don't over pay for guys. They ship them for draft picks

Most players play for New England to win a championship. They don't over pay for guys. They ship them for draft picks

Unfortunately the Dolphins let that boat sail. There is no way they didn't know the range $$ Landry and his people were looking for and they erred. I'm pretty sure there were some offers on the table for him in the offseason.

Just to complete the picture: 27th in receiving yards post-merger with his 400 catches in his first four seasons, which makes him 91st in yards per reception. Davone Bess is 90th. Also Landry ranks 50th in receiving TDs with 22. Gronkowski is 3rd with 42 TDs after his first four seasons.

I don't like comparing TDS numbers across teams. Just think how many more TDS the patriots have scored than us over that period.

Again with that? So then again I ask, will James, Parker and Harris give the team back some money because they didn't play like first round picks? That's not how it works. You don't just over pay just because YOU feel he didn't make as much money as say a first round pick made. Nobody's saying he shouldn't want as much as possible. What some people are saying is that WE shouldn't over pay for him. Why is THAT so hard to understand? There has to be a pay structure and it should not include over paying for a slot WR but then again, how much is fair?

Ozzy rules!!

I think the main point was that we could have signed him to the right contract last year, instead we decided to play the waiting game and he's outplayed what we want to play.

no they will not, the pats do not build their offense around 1 guy like the phins have. Miami gameplans to get Landry at least 5-7 receptions a game even if it means throwing it behind the line of scrimmage. I truly believe people will be shocked if Landry leaves and you see his stats plummet because hes not the focal point anymore. You think Belichick and Brady will care if Landry gets the ball 10 times per game? People don't realize how much Landry's stats are boosted because of the offense hes in. I love the guy, he has amazing hands and a huge love for football, but hes not the best route runner, can't beat guys deep or win jump balls. His best asset is RAC and thats why he catches balls within 5 yards constantly.

Patriots doesn't do it ANYMORE, because they don't have the Randy Moss, or the Wes Welker (both of whom they built their offense around!

the dolphins will get this done before march...he need learn how to chill out on field as well. he will be looking at 12 to 14.5 yr. when it all done. the fan need wake up. you will not take pay cut at your job. so why would you ask player to. nobody taking discount in nfl. the nfl is making lot of money these day,

Back
Top Bottom