Why is Landry worth 8 million more then Edelman? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why is Landry worth 8 million more then Edelman?

This is not your father's NFL. When salary cap goes up, contracts go up....unless your SF, Cleveland, Colts, Jets, Bucs who are all under by $60M or more....and basically just cheap.

It has grown exponentially over the last 5 years and made a huge jump from 2012 to 2013. Unfortunately while teams like the Rick Speilman led Minnesota Vikings are competitive due to good drafting and FA...all while staying well under the cap ($57M under), Miami is going the other direction and royally screwing the pooch.

2018 projected: $178 million
2017: $167 million
2016: $155.27 million
2015: $143.28 million
2014: $133 million
2013: $123 million
2012: $120.6 million

With this front office's track record of FA and the draft, does anyone trust them to draft or sign a 1k/9 TD WR? TE? Might as well spend the money before they screw it up and give up more picks for another Leonte Carroo or sign another washed up TE. Gary Barnidge anybody?

Patriots doesn't do it ANYMORE, because they don't have the Randy Moss, or the Wes Welker (both of whom they built their offense around!

I'd argue they build their offense around Brady and always have. Comparing Randy Moss and Tom Brady when he was 30 to Landry and Brady now is not even worth it because that was literally 10 years ago, Landry is not even on the same planet as Moss and Brady's arm talent is not what it was back then. And again the only thing Welker and Landry have in common is they play in the slot and they are good at RAC. Welker's best assets were his brain and his route running. Arguably those are two of Landry's worst qualities. Also, do you think Bill will tolerate Landry throwing tantrums and costing the team 15 yards multiple times a season? We tolerate it because we target him 160 times. The pats would bench his ass and put in someone who will run the playbook, shut their mouth and get open. The Pats will not pay 15 million for a receiver that needs to catch the ball within 5 yards 75% of the time because he doesn't understand route running enough to get open further down the field.

Explain this to me? Secondly look at the playoffs only 1 of the top 20 paid receivers are still in. It is stupid to pay a WR big money. A good coach can design plays to get WR open we need that 14 million for the offensive and defensive lines. That is how you win in the playoffs.
because he’s 8 million x better than Edelman

Edelman 8 years = 4540 & 24 TD
Landry 4 years = 4038 & 22 TD

Landry also has never been injured and is 5 years younger.

It is worth noting that Edelman didn't play a prominent role in his first four seasons with the Patriots on offense. That role became his in years five through eight after Welker departed for Denver.

So Edelman in those four seasons has put up roughly 3700 yards and 20 TDs. He also only played 9 games in 2015 and missed two the year before. Had he played every game it is likely his numbers would have surpassed Landry's.

This is not your father's NFL. When salary cap goes up, contracts go up....unless your SF, Cleveland, Colts, Jets, Bucs who are all under by $60M or more....and basically just cheap.

It has grown exponentially over the last 5 years and made a huge jump from 2012 to 2013. Unfortunately while teams like the Rick Speilman led Minnesota Vikings are competitive due to good drafting and FA...all while staying well under the cap ($57M under), Miami is going the other direction and royally screwing the pooch.

2018 projected: $178 million
2017: $167 million
2016: $155.27 million
2015: $143.28 million
2014: $133 million
2013: $123 million
2012: $120.6 million

With this front office's track record of FA and the draft, does anyone trust them to draft or sign a 1k/9 TD WR? TE? Might as well spend the money before they screw it up and give up more picks for another Leonte Carroo or sign another washed up TE. Gary Barnidge anybody?

Those teams that are significantly under the cap are rebuilding. It is generally the way for teams going through that process to ditch the overpaid underperforming players for younger developing players that are cheaper. Then those teams often spend money in free agency to give themselves a boost (e.g. Raiders and Jaguars). However, it is sensible to remain flexible cap wise because you don't want a Cowboys and Saints situation, in that every year you're cap strapped and need to sacrifice players in order to get under the cap and/or create space to sign FAs and draft picks.

I do agree that I am concerned about us replacing Landry with our front office's track record. However, that in itself shouldn't be an excuse to overpay someone and get into a bad cap situation. I'm not against a Landry extension, but that extension isn't going to put this team over on its own. This team needs plenty of improvement and if sacrificing one player to improve in other areas is what they have do, then I suspect that's what they will do. However, I hope we do get a deal done for Landry.

He's not, but the pats guys are always underpaid. That's how they roll, you don't get paid as much but you win every single year.

Landry is easily worth more then whatever Stills got, and by quite a bit too. Stills got overpaid though.

Maaan any 'lightish', 'too tall', 'upright' RB with good hands can do what Juice does.

I like a number slot WR in the draft from Kirk and Moore to Campbell and Miller but my closest comp from this class to Landry, Dante Pettis, will go late 3rd/early 4th.

We made him. All he has on any other guy is durability.

Welker, Bess, Hartline, he's JAG, same as those others.

I hope you're not saying Welker is/was a Jag
He was a JAG with us but with the Pats he was amazing

8,803 yards receiving after the Dolphins...1,121 with us
49 tds after the Dolphins 1 receiving td with us

It is worth noting that Edelman didn't play a prominent role in his first four seasons with the Patriots on offense. That role became his in years five through eight after Welker departed for Denver.

So Edelman in those four seasons has put up roughly 3700 yards and 20 TDs. He also only played 9 games in 2015 and missed two the year before. Had he played every game it is likely his numbers would have surpassed Landry's.

"Likely"? Some players are just not ready for years. If Belichick thought Edelman was ready, Welker would have been traded years before his departure. That's his MO.

DaVante Adams is the 4th highest paid WR (14.5M average &24M GTD at Sign ) and has never had a 1k season He has had a good TD number for the past 2 years but I'll take Jarvis over him.

Yards don't win games, those TD's do. I don't care if a guy has 400 yards if he get's in the endzone 12 times a year.

Edelman 8 years = 4540 & 24 TD
Landry 4 years = 4038 & 22 TD

Landry also has never been injured and is 5 years younger.

That's not an accurate depiction of reality. 20 of those TD's of JE's came in the four years up to 2016.....when he became a starting aspect of that team. Their production over that span is comparable from a very realistic stand point.

Last edited:
That's a bit short-sighted. You gotta get TO the end zone before you get IN the end zone.

Yes....the TEAM does. Landry cannot and will not be able to consistently be the source of getting TO the endzone.

That's not an accurate depiction of reality. 20 of those TD's of JE's came in the four years up to 2016.....when he became a starting aspect of that team. There production over that span is comparable from a very realistic stand point.

Reality? We are comparing production of one guy who played with an inexperienced college QB who got "developed" by Joe Philbin to a WR playing for a HOF QB and a HOF head coach....and it took him MUCH longer to develop.

Back
Top Bottom