why is Oline the priority and not WR? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

why is Oline the priority and not WR?

The Jets and Bills both have better WR groups than we do.

notsureifserious_zps8b4ad84b-1.jpg

is this post supposed to be satire?

Wallace is the best individual WR in the division, but those teams have better overall groups by far. Jacoby Ford and Eric Decker, both of whom play for the Jets, are better than the rest of our WRs and Stephen Hill still shows some promise. The Bills have a pretty good overall group as well. Our next guy after Wallace is Brian Hartline, who scares absolutely nobody. Brandon Gibson, assuming he comes back from his injury quickly, is OK at best. The only other guy who shows a lot of promise on our team is Rishard Matthews, and he can't seem to even get on the field until three other guys get injured. This team is one Mike Wallace injury away from possibly the worst WR group in the league.

Thats like saying because Brady was drafted in the 6th round, teams should only look in the 6th round for starting QBs.

Just FYI, 11 out of 12 playoff teams last year had a OL that was drafted in the 1st round. Lets not pretend that OL aren't worthy of a high draft pick.

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

:tubes:

We have one as well. Another interesting fact is that none of those teams' offensive lines are made up entirely of first round picks. Many of them were third or fouth round picks drafted by good GM. We didn't have one of those. Let's not pretend that the only OLs that amount to anything are drafted in the first round.

Wallace is the best individual WR in the division, but those teams have better overall groups by far. Jacoby Ford and Eric Decker, both of whom play for the Jets, are better than the rest of our WRs and Stephen Hill still shows some promise. The Bills have a pretty good overall group as well. Our next guy after Wallace is Brian Hartline, who scares absolutely nobody. Brandon Gibson, assuming he comes back from his injury quickly, is OK at best. The only other guy who shows a lot of promise on our team is Rishard Matthews, and he can't seem to even get on the field until three other guys get injured. This team is one Mike Wallace injury away from possibly the worst WR group in the league.

So Jacoby Ford and Eric Decker are better than Mike Wallace and Brian Hartline? and Stevie Johnson and Robert Woods are better than Wallace and Hartline?

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

Let's not pretend that the only OLs that amount to anything are drafted in the first round.

Nobody is pretending that, stop misrepresenting people's posts.

We have one as well. Another interesting fact is that none of those teams' offensive lines are made up entirely of first round picks. Many of them were third or fouth round picks drafted by good GM.

Thats the exception. Thats 1 out of 12 teams in the playoffs. You would rather model your team after the exception? There's a reason teams spend high draft picks on OT - its because it is a premium position.

After going from Peyton Manning as his QB to what ever scrub they throw in there in NY, Eric Decker will go back to Eric Who.

Thats the exception. Thats 1 out of 12 teams in the playoffs. You would rather model your team after the exception? There's a reason teams spend high draft picks on OT - its because it is a premium position.

I was actually mistaken on that. I forgot that we also currently have a former first round pick at OT as well. So, our OL currently has two first round picks on it.

After going from Peyton Manning as his QB to what ever scrub they throw in there in NY, Eric Decker will go back to Eric Who.

The only reason Decker wasn't a first round pick to begin with was an injury his senior year. He may not have put up the same numbers without Peyton Manning, but that doesn't mean that the dude isn't a legit threat at WR.

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

stephen hill has shown no promise

Moreso than most of the WRs on our roster.

So Jacoby Ford and Eric Decker are better than Mike Wallace and Brian Hartline? and Stevie Johnson and Robert Woods are better than Wallace and Hartline?

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

Nobody is pretending that, stop misrepresenting people's posts.
In response to point one, I already said that Mike Wallace is the best WR in the divison. That being said, his presence doesn't suddenly make our other WRs better.

As to point number two, I wasn't misrepresenting anything. I was merely responding and pointing out that we are currently one of those teams that already has multiple first round picks on the line.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know we had 2 first rounders on the line last season which begs the question: how many teams in the league don't have a first rounder on their o-line?

While I agree this is a team game and you should go for balance, I don't agree that you should allow the past to dictate the present. I don't think prior bad investments at a position justify not making a present good investment "if" it's the best option at the time.

Going by your argument, the Lions shouldn't have taken Calvin Johnson and that would've been a huge mistake. If a player is a bust there is no "coaching him up." You simply have to live with the mistake and try to do better with the next decision.

If the Dolphins are in a position where the best player available is a WR, and there is little doubt that he is substantially better than the available o-linemen, TEs, and linebackers, then I think they should take him regardless of what they already have on the roster. The draft is less about immediately improving your team and more about the long term.

Now obviously that scenario is not exactly likely, and I too prefer a balanced football team but I just wanted to make the point that focusing too much on balance can also be detrimental if it sacrifices overall talent.

While I agree that passing on Calvin Johnson would have been a mistake. This is hindsight. And keep in mind, Calvin Johnson has yet to get them a Super Bowl. Even though being arguably the best at his craft over the time he has been in the league.

And financially, yes, you do have to live with the mistake. While we only have a finite cap and portions of salaries are gauranteed, you can't just cut a guy after one year based on crafty structuring. It may be palatable the first year, but a few years later your still paying for a guy who isn't on your roster. And while you may be able to draft his cheaper replacement, you've still used a pick (resource) and spent more money fixing a problem.

A fiscally responsible GM will not continue to reinvest resources into a position (except QB) year after year and produce champions. There comes a point where you admit the coaches cannot develop talent and/or the GM cannot pick talent. At some point, someone is losing a job. Since Matt Millen has left town, they have drafted in the trenches on both sides and Matthew Stafford. Calvin Johnson was a Millen pick.

But if you look at their first round picks after Millen, 1) Stafford, 2) Pettigrew, 3) Suh, 4) Fairley and 5) Reiff, you can see the true core of their team has been built from the inside out.

Particularly regarding this thread's topic, the reason we do NOT draft a WR is because champions are not built from the outside in. And continuing to pursue this philosophy in back to back years with FA and draft picks is foolish. When you build inside out, you make the rest of the team better.

Had this not been solely based on the WR position, I would have agreed with you more.

I love when people post questions in a thread title that are easily answered by the realization that we had statistically the worst offensive line in football this year, and that we have two former 1,000 yard receivers still in their prime.

I love when people post questions in a thread title that are easily answered by the realization that we had statistically the worst offensive line in football this year, and that we have two former 1,000 yard receivers still in their prime.

Doesn't mean the point is invalid, just that this front office is incompetent.

To answer the original post,because a wide reciever cant catch a pass when the QB is laying on his ASS and cant get him the dam ball as Keyshown once said ! To see how bad the o-line was last year,most sacks in the NFL,a putrid running game,and us having descent wide recievers,I HONESTLZYA cant believe this post thread even exist !!!!! Unreal !!!

Back
Top Bottom