Why is Tony Sporano a good coach? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why is Tony Sporano a good coach?

Better question, why do you continuesly make threads bashing him only when things are a bit rough? I don't recall seeing these threads when we won the division. I don't recall you kicking this already much dead horse when he lost coach of the year by a mere vote.
This team is days and nights more disciplined then it was with the previous regimes. Despite our brutal schedule, injuries to our most important positions, and relying on a first year starting QB(who was what, 24 years old?) we had among the highest offensive play execution in the league(4th, behind only the Vikings, Saints, and Patriots, not a bad crowd to be in). Everyone of our games(save for the Falcons, which so far have been very strange games) last season we were in it to the very bitter end, often coming back in the fourth quarter. And, despite the preseason we are often one of the least penalized teams in the league. All of that is what Tony Sparano has brought to this football team.

Lets look at how green the grass has been elsewhere in our recent history.
Nick Saban went 4-8 in the division in a very subpar 2 seasons, before lieing to his players(and fans, and owner) and bolting for a paycheck and easier 'challenge'.
Dave Wannstedt quit halfway through a season after successfully ripping apart our franchise(including but not limited to alienating our best player, passing on potential franchise QB, wasting an absurd amount of draft picks, looking the other way to conventional logic such as "Boldin can be a good player", etc).
And Cam Cameron successfully aquired the mess the others left, and for giggles, continued to rip apart the team by playing favoritism towards horribly draft projects and players, all the while making a historic black mark on this franchise.

But wait, lets go after the guy who turned the team around! Brilliant! You make vague assumptions towards Sparano while proving absolutely no evidence yourself then you turn around and say "you cant bash me unless you have an argument!". Whats the other side of the dead horse? "Ugh, he cheers on the sidelines!" or "oh, he uses timeouts!".

Ill take the "ordinary" coach with the 8-4 divisional record, earned a playoff berth despite inheriting the worst mess in the league, kept us in the playoff running to the last week of the season despite ALOT of adversity, and the guy who will cut players/coaches if they aren't doing there job with no hesitation. Oh, and he backs up his players and takes responsibility for the way the team plays, where others have thrown people under the bus to save there own ***.

So, other then what we have not done during preseason and other then (god forbid!) showing emotion and using timeouts(OH THE HUMANITY) what has he not done to satisfy your absurd and delusional expectations for a team 2 seasons removed from the 1st pick in the draft? Please, im on the edge of my seat.

Edit: btw, perfered it when you were kicking this horse about Sparano(even more amusing is that he did in fact do what you wanted, fixed up the coaching staff, but then again he could never do enough unless he quits):
http://www.finheaven.com/forums/sho...s-urgent-message!&p=1063224865#post1063224865

Actually I dont have many threads bashing him. I think this is my very first. Why do you guys always take everything so personal.

wow. wrong guy to try this bs with my friend. ya, I understand the game of football. the Phins barely scraped by alot of BAD teams that year. Did we outsmart Indy and NO last year? The players sure as hell outplayed them.

Are you f'ing kidding me? That's how we almost beat the Colts, our coaches gave our team the best possible game plan to win, we kept the ball out of Peyton's hands and pounded their D for 45 minutes, if Gibril Wilson could tackle we would've won. The Saints game our game plan was great, but I will concede that Sparano made a bonehead decision before halftime there, but that didn't cost us. Ted Ginn handing the ball to Sharper hurt us, and not for nothing, Sharper fumbled the ball into the end zone for a touchback and that should've been our ball anyway

Also, in the NFL no team is truly "bad" they all have world class athletes, the fact is we won. Our team isn't built to blow teams out, we have a ball control offense, and last year we had a porous D.

Why because he got lucky and made it too the playoffs after a 1-15 season? I would like you guys to actually quantify what makes him a good coach? Because in my opinion he adds nothing to this team. Completely ordinary. Now Dont start bashing me without making an argument. You can take shots at me only if you bring something to the table.

What has he done to make him a stand out coach?
Dont bash you with making an argument? My friend, take your own advice, saying Sporano is 'completely ordinary' isnt an argument. Its an opinion and to be more accurate its an assertion..so how about you make an argument first :ponder:

Im not kidding you. I see motivation as his strength, but not strategy and on the fly adjustments. My Mom could have had a gameplan to pound the ball on Indy's small front along with NO. He's not my cup of tea, and whether you want to admit it or not, he has some pretty obvious faults. The mistake he made in the NO game was laughable. There are PopWarner coaches that wouldnt have made that same mistake. I guess we will find out just how good he is this year with this sked, wont we?

Im not kidding you. I see motivation as his strength, but not strategy and on the fly adjustments. My Mom could have had a gameplan to pound the ball on Indy's small front along with NO. He's not my cup of tea, and whether you want to admit it or not, he has some pretty obvious faults. The mistake he made in the NO game was laughable. There are PopWarner coaches that wouldnt have made that same mistake. I guess we will find out just how good he is this year with this sked, wont we?

It's not even worth arguing. You'll be eating your words by the end of the season. Unless you don't enjoy when the Dolphins win, and will still be critical.

wow. wrong guy to try this bs with my friend. ya, I understand the game of football. the Phins barely scraped by alot of BAD teams that year. Did we outsmart Indy and NO last year? The players sure as hell outplayed them.

Mr. I understand the game of football, is your argument against Sparano that we did not beat the 2 teams that played in the Super Bowl? The Fins sure as hell competed those 2 games, with a lot less talent. That is coaching.

I like Sparano as our coach. He has made mistakes, but hes made alot of good poo happen. Ya know what never fails to amaze me? The trifecta said itd be a 4 year reconstruction. Did we forget? Uhhhh yeah....we forgot boss. This is year 3. And ill be danged if we dont look like a hand grenade, disguised as an NFL franchise. If we flop at Buffalo, then lets talk.

Mr. I understand the game of football, is your argument against Sparano that we did not beat the 2 teams that played in the Super Bowl? The Fins sure as hell competed those 2 games, with a lot less talent. That is coaching.

I think Ive made my argument pretty clear. I see motivation as his strength, which isnt my cup of tea in a HC. I appreciate it, but it will only get you so far IMO. Just because I dont agree with your stance on Sparano, no need to get pissy. Ive kept this very respectfull, so maybe extend me the same courtesy.

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

It's not even worth arguing. You'll be eating your words by the end of the season. Unless you don't enjoy when the Dolphins win, and will still be critical.

Depends on what you consider the Phins expectations. If they go 11-5, ya Ill eat my words. If they go 9-7 or worse, not so much........

I think Ive made my argument pretty clear. I see motivation as his strength, which isnt my cup of tea in a HC. I appreciate it, but it will only get you so far IMO. Just because I dont agree with your stance on Sparano, no need to get pissy. Ive kept this very respectfull, so maybe extend me the same courtesy.

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

Depends on what you consider the Phins expectations. If they go 11-5, ya Ill eat my words. If they go 9-7 or worse, not so much........

I wouldn't be thrilled with 9-7 either we probably agree on that, but I wouldn't automatically blame the coaching staff if we end up 9-7 either, it really depends on how it all shakes out

So if the Phins go 11-5 I eat my words and its good coaching, but 9-7 isnt necessarily their fault? LOL. You cant have it both ways now,

Actually I dont have many threads bashing him. I think this is my very first. Why do you guys always take everything so personal.

So you have not provided any evidence or counter argument about why Sparano is not a good coach...but the thing that impresses me more is that you literally qoute my side of the debate with a link in it showing you your own words...and you still deny the fact.

Absolutely amazing.

You were the one with the statement : "I understand football", now your crying for respect. . . whatever.

You were the one with the statement : "I understand football", now your crying for respect. . . whatever.

So because i dont agree with your opinion of Tony Sparano I dont know football? Thats an interesting route to take the discussion. I dont recall myself saying he's terrible. All I said is I see him more as a motivator than a strategist, and thats not my cup of tea. Ill leave it at that. Oh, and hes god damn lucky if Jake did in fact escape serious injury. That was just moronic last night regardless of your opinion of the man.

Hmmm, mixed opinions everywhere. Well if it doesn't work out....Pennington for HC 2011!!! lol

it isn't what he has done, its what is he going to do this season? this is the season where there are no excuses.

Back
Top Bottom