Why is Tony Sporano a good coach? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why is Tony Sporano a good coach?

Why because he got lucky and made it too the playoffs after a 1-15 season? I would like you guys to actually quantify what makes him a good coach? Because in my opinion he adds nothing to this team. Completely ordinary. Now Dont start bashing me without making an argument. You can take shots at me only if you bring something to the table.

What has he done to make him a stand out coach?
I find it interesting that you made a statement about Sparano and failed to support why you feel that way, but your requesting everybody else to support their arguement. I think Sparano is a very good coach. Before I say why. I would like to know WHY you think he is ordinary and brings nothing to the team??? Why do you think he was lucky?

I am going to give you one example of why I like him. There are many reasons, but I am just going to give you one example.

Last year, Week 15, in Tennessee. The Titans were running over the Dolphins and had a 24-6 lead with less then 9 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. Just imagine to past coaches like Jimmy Johnson, Dave Wannstedt, Nick Saban and Cam Cameron. With that score, that late in the game, you were better off turning the TV off or leaving the stadium. The game was over at that point.

Sparano on the other hand, kept his players motivated and had them believing they could come back. The result? The came back and tied the game at 24 and forced overtime. Granted they ending up losing the game, but it was obvious that coaching is why they were able to come back and not just continue to get blown out.

That is just one of many reasons.

Right. Because with Saban in his first season we didnt start 3-7 only to run off 6 consecutive wins to end the season despite having even less talent than what Sparano had to work with last season. Good point.

And Jimmy Johnson....please. Dont even compare Tony Morono to a dude with 2 Super Bowl rings and a college national championship as a coach.

Edit: Now that I think about it, dont even compare this moron to Saban. Most of you want to bash Saban because of how he left, when you wouldve gladly taken him back the next season.

Look, Saban's problem was he couldnt pick the talent on this level. He made a huge blunder with Culpepper. He shouldnt have been the GM.

But, the man can ****ing coach. And he can coach Morono under the table any day. Saban has 2 national titles with 2 different teams in college. To say he cant motivate would be ridiculous. That was his strength.

Again, look at his first season. 9-7 and 6 straight wins to end the season, following a year in which we were 4-12. I find what he did that year much more impressive than the flukes that lined up to make us 11-5 in Morono's first year.

Just imagine what couldve happened had we gotten Brees instead of Culpepper. Everything would be different. Saban can coach whether some of you Saban haters like it or not. The proof is in the pudding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit: Now that I think about it, dont even compare this moron to Saban. Most of you want to bash Saban because of how he left, when you wouldve gladly taken him back the next season.

Look, Saban's problem was he couldnt pick the talent on this level. He made a huge blunder with Culpepper. He shouldnt have been the GM.

But, the man can ****ing coach. And he can coach Morono under the table any day. Saban has 2 national titles with 2 different teams in college. To say he cant motivate would be ridiculous. That was his strength.

Again, look at his first season. 9-7 and 6 straight wins to end the season, following a year in which we were 4-12. I find what he did that year much more impressive than the flukes that lined up to make us 11-5 in Morono's first year.

Just imagine what couldve happened had we gotten Brees instead of Culpepper. Everything would be different. Saban can coach whether some of you Saban haters like it or not. The proof is in the pudding.

So a 15-17 record is better then a 18-14 record? A 4-8 divisional record is better then an 8-4 record? Its acceptable that Saban starts a season by going 3-7, but if Sparano starts 0-3 he's awful? Saban takes a 4-12 team and wins 9 games, Sparano takes a 1-15 team and wins 11, yet Saban is amazing and Sparano is uncleverly nicknamed by you? Its awesome when Saban wins 6 games at the end of the season, but a fluke when Sparano wins 9 of 10?

Sparano's best season was better then Sabans best. Sparano's worst season was better then Sabans worst. Sparano's worst season was damn close to being better then Sabans best. And for all Nick Sabans glory, for all his might, for all his accomplishments, what is he missing? A division title, a playoff berth, a season of double digit wins. Color me unimpressed.

I do love how you excuse his biggest fault: the inability to land an available franchise quarterback. Sparano has been able to find a potential one, and thats without raiding another teams of their unwanted at the most important position in the game.
Your exactly right, the proof is in the pudding. Nick Saban can continue winning in the minor leagues, Sparano will keep out distancing him where it counts: at the grown up table.

Sparano is a good coach because he works hard and loves football. Is Sparano a WINNING COACH? Well, that remains to be seen. Somehow, he got the 2008 team to win. Or did he? Questions will start if the Dolphins lose in 2010. Winning coaches are different from good coaches. Winning coaches can make tough decisions without waiting too long and allowing losing to set in. You keep the bar high and sometimes have to take chances. You have to find the winning formula with the roster and keep it winning. Sometimes feelings get hurt, but you have to play on.

top 5 coach? you lost me there. he's not my cup of tea, and he certainly has his flaws. I want my HC to be able to outsmart, outcoach the opposition on Sunday. do you really see Sparano and Henning doing that? lets keep it real here.........

Is that what Bill Cowher did as a head coach? Cower was a high energy, emotional guy who players wanted to run through a brick wall for. That sounds like Sparano to me. I trust Sparano is organized enough, to go along with his leadership qualities, to get the job done.

Is that what Bill Cowher did as a head coach? Cower was a high energy, emotional guy who players wanted to run through a brick wall for. That sounds like Sparano to me. I trust Sparano is organized enough, to go along with his leadership qualities, to get the job done.

when Tony has his success, let me know. until then, kind of ridiculous to compare the two outside of windmill fistpumps.

wow. wrong guy to try this bs with my friend. ya, I understand the game of football. the Phins barely scraped by alot of BAD teams that year. Did we outsmart Indy and NO last year? The players sure as hell outplayed them.

You could not have picked two worse games to make your point. Sparano's team had both of those SUPER BOWL teams on the ropes with a team that was young, inexperienced, and at a clear talent disadvantage compared to both of those teams.

when Tony has his success, let me know. until then, kind of ridiculous to compare the two outside of windmill fistpumps.

It took Bill Cowher 14 years to get a superbowl ring. Tony hasn't begun his 3rd season and people are demanding his head.

Your exact right, its beyond ridiculous.

You could not have picked two worse games to make your point. Sparano's team had both of those SUPER BOWL teams on the ropes with a team that was young, inexperienced, and at a clear talent disadvantage compared to both of those teams.

fair enough. i still think its way too early to call him a top 5 coach or compare him to Cowher.

Critics, many of them in Pittsburgh, used to say the same thing about Cowher as you said about Sparano, because for a long time he couldn't even win home playoff games when his teams were heavily favored. I think Marty Schottenheimer, and Bill Cower were a lot alike in that they were such great motivators that they got their teams to overachieve during the regular season and created a false perception of how truly talented the teams they actually had playing for them. In a sense they were a victim of their own success. I see very similar qualities in Tony Sparano. This team is much too young and inexperienced in too many key positions for this team to make a serious run this year. There are still some talent deficiencies also. I actually think Sparano got this team to overachieve both years that he has coached and it has set up false expectations for this season. If the young talent comes through (Henne, Misi, Jerry, Wake, Smith, Davis, Clemmons, Hartline, Odrick) than this team will be better than I expect. If that happens, a lot of credit will go to Sparano and his staff for getting so many young kids ready to play at a high level so soon.

This is a ridiculous post. Sparano has a winning record in his only 2 seasons as head coach. Better than Cam, better than Saban, better than Bates did as an interim coach. He took over a team that the previous year went 1 -15. Exactly what more do you want from him. The microwave society we live in is ridiculous if taking a horrible team over and making them into a playoff caliber team in a 2 year period is not enough, (and he did that instantly). Yeah, did the Fins take a step back last year, record wise yes but look what the Fins went through. Losing your starting QB, losing your Pro Bowl Running Back, losing your #1 CB and starting 2 rookies. Going through that and still going 7-9, too me that shows good coaching. How many other teams could lose those important pieces and still almost make the playoffs? Not many.

Sparano holds players accountable. He sees flaws in his assistant coaches too. As well does the FO. PP is not here any longer for those reasons. He brings fire and instills positive attitude. He is a OL tactician. As long as we have an adequate talent level we will be fine there in the long run. The slow starts have to stip. One knock is not settling in on at certain positions sooner than later.
Make a decision with white. And, let Nolan run the D without interference. But hold him accountable and address issues with Nolan if the D falters. On the last few points there is cautious optimism that Tony S. will get it right.

J Porter would testify to that, NOT!!

He obviously would have alot of time to testify that from the sidelines....where he was put after he was pulled from the games...and from where he was after he was suspended from the team...

To be fair, he would have talked from the stadium seats had he not been picked up by old coaches...you know, after he was cut by our current coach.

NOT!!!!...oh wait!

Back
Top Bottom