Why Miami Should Draft a First Day QB..... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Miami Should Draft a First Day QB.....

BlueFin

Seer of Visions
Club Member
Reaction score
My philosophy is this, John Beck and Josh McCown are not "proven", by "proven" I mean they have demonstrated the ability to lead a team to the playoffs and perhaps a championship.

Now this philosophy starts with the premise that the QB is the single most important position in pro football, without a good one you have very little chance of winning a championship, the exceptions come when you have an all-time great defense such as the top 3 in history (85' Bears, the Ravens and Bucs of recent times) Short of having one of the greatest, dominating defenses in history, you need a QB who can make the money plays when the game is on the line.

Without a known "proven" QB on the roster, you should continue to accumulate QB's until you find one. This philosophy was one Ron Wolf shared, if you remember the slew of QB's he had in Green Bay...........Favre, Brunnell, Matt Hasselback, and others. When they had a surplus they simply traded away Brunnell and Hasselback for good value.

The newer rules have opened up the passing games in the NFL and only accenuated the Import of the QB position, you simply must have a QB who can make big plays and score points..............period.

Its simply not sufficient to draft a Beck in the second round, watch him struggle most of the time as a starter, sign a journeyman like Josh McCown, and then sit back and say.....ok, our QB position is "good" for now.

If we are in a position to draft a QB in this draft, and at that pick the QB is a good value, we should make the pick if we have a conviction on him.

I somewhat agree with that. But specifically talking about our situation in Miami, I completely feel that you have to give Beck an absolute legit shot at the starting job. He has played far too few games with far too little talent around him to make any assumptions about him just yet.

That being said, i wouldnt completely be against drafting a QB in the mid to later rounds for future development. This way there is no real large money investment in the player and he theoritically (i cant spell) would have time to development and adapt to our system. But I dont think it would be in our best interest to draft a QB with any of our 1st or 2nd round picks, simply because we have way too many holes to fill at other positions.

Parcell's does seem to like to find QB's that arent big names and make them into starters, so look out. Just look in Dallas with Romo, and others that are slipping my mind at the moment.

My philosophy is this, John Beck and Josh McCown are not "proven", by "proven" I mean they have demonstrated the ability to lead a team to the playoffs and perhaps a championship.

Now this philosophy starts with the premise that the QB is the single most important position in pro football, without a good one you have very little chance of winning a championship, the exceptions come when you have an all-time great defense such as the top 3 in history (85' Bears, the Ravens and Bucs of recent times) Short of having one of the greatest, dominating defenses in history, you need a QB who can make the money plays when the game is on the line.

Without a known "proven" QB on the roster, you should continue to accumalte QB's until you find one. This philosophy was one Ron Wolf shared, if you remember the slew of QB's he had in Green Bay...........Favre, Brunnell, Matt Hasselback, and others. When they had a surplus they simply traded away Brunnell and Hasselback for good value.

The newer rules have opened up the passing games in the NFL and only accenuated the Import of the QB position, you simply must have a QB who can make big plays and score points..............period.

Its simply not sufficient to draft a Beck in the second round, watch him struggle most of the time as a starter, sign a journeyman like Josh McCown, and then sit back and say.....ok, our QB position is "good" for now.

If we are in a position to draft a QB in this draft, and at that pick the QB is a good value, we should make the pick if we have a conviction on him.

makes sense. while i agree, there are no first or second day qb's this year that i like. who do you want us to take?

Without a known "proven" QB on the roster, you should continue to accumalte QB's until you find one. This philosophy was one Ron Wolf shared, if you remember the slew of QB's he had in Green Bay...........Favre, Brunnell, Matt Hasselback, and others. When they had a surplus they simply traded away Brunnell and Hasselback for good value.

Your point would be logical if this team didnt need so many positions filled. Another young QB on the roster is not helping this team AT ALL! This draft is about finding players that can start now and make an impact. Any QB taken wouldnt be ready for at least a year and if Beck/McCwon pan out then you just wasted a pick. I dont see a problem taking one in the later rounds but not the first 3.

Your point would be logical if this team didnt need so many positions filled. Another young QB on the roster is not helping this team AT ALL! This draft is about finding players that can start now and make an impact. Any QB taken wouldnt be ready for at least a year and if Beck/McCwon pan out then you just wasted a pick. I dont see a problem taking one in the later rounds but not the first 3.

Thats why i think a mid to late rounder wouldnt hurt us too much this season.

We can still give John Beck a chance and still choose a quarterback between rounds 2-5 or something.

Hypothetically speaking, even if we drafted Ryan #1, we still probably would start John Beck so drafting a QB does not mean we are looking for a day1 starter...but like the first poster mentioned, more of insurance.

We can still give John Beck a chance and still choose a quarterback between rounds 2-5 or something.

Hypothetically speaking, even if we drafted Ryan #1, we still probably would start John Beck so drafting a QB does not mean we are looking for a day1 starter...but like the first poster mentioned, more of insurance.

insurance? dude, we can't even close to afford insurance right now. hell, i don't even know if we qualify for medicaid! :woot:

I think McNair's retirement could result in a few college QB's being picked a little earlier than normal...I was hoping we could maybe get Flacco with our 2B pick but he will be long gone, so maybe Henne would be an option??? I would rather go with other needs, and maybe we just go with McCown and Beck this season???

insurance? dude, we can't even close to afford insurance right now. hell, i don't even know if we qualify for medicaid! :woot:

hah...

No, but really...building off the first guy's post...quarterback being the most important position...I would not consider it too outrageous to use a pick between rounds 2-5 on a QB they think can legitimately make it in the NFL.

Then again, I think that's probably a philosophy every team has.

Even if we dont draft a QB, there's bound to be a QB on the market (especially after june 1) that isnt old with some potential who would make a good project QB and #3 emergency QB for us in the future.

hah...

No, but really...building off the first guy's post...quarterback being the most important position...I would not consider it too outrageous to use a pick between rounds 2-5 on a QB they think can legitimately make it in the NFL.

Then again, I think that's probably a philosophy every team has.

word. i want one too somewhere, but who the hell knows. still like woodson late, but noone really excites me.

i agree, but not in the first few rounds... those ron wolf teams took mid to late round QBs... Hassleback was a 6th rounder, Aaron Brooks in the 4th, Brunell a 5th rounder, Ty Detmer 9th round...

but they dont all end up good, you are basically gambling with 1 pick a year hoping something comes of the players... he also took players like Kyle Washoltz and Jay Barker who obviously amounted to nothing...

Hey, WAKE UP !!!!!

I am really tired of all this "other needs to fill" b.s

QB is POSITION #1 on ANY team, and we will never go far without one, so what position you gonna put before that? Huh? We need to get the QB position finalized, period, get over it.

If you want to tell me ...."uh...well Beck may end up being good", well then fine, so what. Are you willing to bank a year or 2 or 3 on that bet? I am not.

You sometimes have to fill the position with a bit of overkill because you cannot afford to not have a good qb. If we somehow end up with 2 good QB's then fine, trade one for value.

We need a QB drafted this year, period, no question.

If you don't believe me, look on the draftboard next weekend and you will see that Parcells thinks so as well. We will draft a QB this year.

Ron Wolf was a bad example......

If your argument was for drafting a second day QB, he would have been a perfect example.

In his work with the Packers, he didn't draft a single first-day QB. He traded a 1st for Favre, but other than that he found mid/late round guys:

T.Detmer - 9th round
M.Brunell - 5th round
Matt Hasselbeck - 6th round
Aaron Brooks - 4th round

He also drafted a few unmemorable guys in the 7th round and one in the 5th.

Lesson to be learned from Wolf IMO is that it isn't ever a bad idea to take a 2nd day QB if you see potential in them.

I don't have a problem taking a QB later in the draft, but if we keep taking QB"s and than do not give him the right time to grow and mature or surround that QB with a good cast, he's not going to do anything. This approach will cripple our future. Let's finally start building the team right, with a solid foundation, starting with O & D line, see what we have as far as a QB and go from there. Again, no QB will survive or thrive on this team the way it was. JMHO.

Back
Top Bottom