Why Miami Should Draft a First Day QB..... | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Miami Should Draft a First Day QB.....

Marino had Clayton, Duper, Fryar, etc,

We have too many needs to pick Ryan #1. I do believe we should draft a QB but on day two unless Henne or Flacco drop to our 57 pick. Josh Johnson of San Diego St could be a steal in Rd 3-4.

Duper and Clayton were languishing on the bench for Miami when Marino got put into the game for his first action against the Raiders. The DOlphins had just come out of a Super Bowl year where we did not win because we did not have a QB worth a damn at the time. D. Woodly. Fryar came later. The team was built (badly) around Marino.

No one is writing Beck off as of yet.

We need to rebuild the entire team at this point. But pass rushers can come in and be plug and play so can Lb's and just about every defensive positon can come in and take off.

QB's and WR's take time to mature, build chemistry and develop just like an offensive line takes time to gel.

I love it.....Eli is GREAT now. :lol:

Did I say Eli was great No, I did not. Consistant play wise he has a long way to go to be in that class. Talant wise he has it all.

And it was that talant that he used to make plays to drive the team down for the win.

Ok guys lets draft defense every year and find qb's strictly from free agants and thru spending draft picks on trades trying to find one and maybe that will work or by drafting one in the 6th and seventh rounds.

Wait a minute we have been doing that I see it has worked so well for the last 12 years.

That is what deserves a SIGH! Or a roll of the eyes.

Would the Giants have won the game with Josh McCown as the QB?
Yes or No?

Would they have even made the playoff's?

It is the great individual plays a great QB can make because he has the ball in his hands EVERY offensive play that make the difference!

I have stated in many many threads it takes team balance and a franchise qb to be great. But it takes both.

Great team balance but no great QB = not great

Good maybe

I am talking about building a team for a long term run not a one year wonder.

I'm not trying to say that a team can be great in the long term without a good QB. Nor am I saying that we should never draft a QB. I am saying that you can at least be competitive without a good QB as long as you keep the team strong by not losing out on overall talent by reaching for QB's. While on the other side, if you do constantly reach for QB's and negelct the team, you won't be competitive for a long time.

I love it.....Eli is GREAT now. :lol:

threw the the game right into Asante Samuels hands during that 'clutch' drive....thanks Asante, otherwise the Pats are perfect and Eli is the goat.

next, 'the great escape'.....yeah, which is more likely, that this is a failure on the Patriots defenders to finish, or that Eli all of a sudden became Vince Young for a play?? Then that wounded duck of a pass....into coverage, and Tyree makes the play of a lifetime to bail them out.

and that TD pass to win it!!!! a lob to a WIDE OPEN Plaxico...wow! What a QB!! No way a Josh McCown could have done any of that. :rolleyes2:

end rant.

Whatever believe what you wish!

Did I say Eli was great No, I did not. Consistant play wise he has a long way to go to be in that class. Talant wise he has it all.

sorry if I misread this, but it sure did read as you were casting Eli in the role of 'great qb' in your little analogy

korl68 said:
And it was that talant that he used to make plays to drive the team down for the win.

I already posted my view of what Eli (and his 'talent') contributed to that final drive.

korl68Ok guys lets [B said:
draft defense every year and find qb's strictly from free agants and thru spending draft picks on trades trying to find one and maybe that will work or by drafting one in the 6th and seventh rounds[/B].

Wait a minute we have been doing that I see it has worked so well for the last 12 years.

That is what deserves a SIGH! Or a roll of the eyes.

I must say that you definately were closer to saying 'Eli is great' than I was to saying anything remotely close to that......

and the one big flaw in your rant above (bolded) - WE DRAFTED A QB IN THE 2ND ROUND LAST YEAR!!!!! :up:

:rolleyes2:

sorry if I misread this, but it sure did read as you were casting Eli in the role of 'great qb' in your little analogy

I already posted my view of what Eli (and his 'talent') contributed to that final drive.

I must say that you definately were closer to saying 'Eli is great' than I was to saying anything remotely close to that......

and the one big flaw in your rant above (bolded) - WE DRAFTED A QB IN THE 2ND ROUND LAST YEAR!!!!! :up:

:rolleyes2:

Does Eye rolling work well for you?

Yes it was the first time in a LONG TIME we tried to look for one that high.

you seemed to taking a particular liking to it the first time, so I thought I'd give you another one. :d-day:

so why don't we see how it works out before screaming for the team to do it again?

Because QB talant is very valauble on the trade front even if he works out.

That is why.

And because we waited until Marino was washed up to try to find his replacement and had no backup plan same as now.

Because QB talant is very valauble on the trade front even if he works out.

That is why.

And because we waited until Marino was washed up to try to find his replacement and had no backup plan same as now.

hey, I'm not against taking a quarterback....if the value is right. but I am against taking a QB just for the sake of taking a QB.

an argument like 'we should take a first day QB' always gets me up in arms because it hints at taking a QB regardless of the value at that pick. I hate when someone's argument (not talking about you specifically) is 'we need to take Ryan because we need a QB!' Is that it? is that your only qualification for being the #1 overall pick? doesn't matter that he may not be worth being drafted that high? that there may be better players available?

a definately agree that we need some sort of backup plan....but they shouldn't force it. luckily I feel that I am only arguing against the demands of an illogical fanbase, and don't have to worry about the FO making these silly decisions.

hey, I'm not against taking a quarterback....if the value is right. but I am against taking a QB just for the sake of taking a QB.

an argument like 'we should take a first day QB' always gets me up in arms because it hints at taking a QB regardless of the value at that pick. I hate when someone's argument (not talking about you specifically) is 'we need to take Ryan because we need a QB!' Is that it? is that your only qualification for being the #1 overall pick? doesn't matter that he may not be worth being drafted that high? that there may be better players available?

a definately agree that we need some sort of backup plan....but they shouldn't force it. luckily I feel that I am only arguing against the demands of an illogical fanbase, and don't have to worry about the FO making these silly decisions.

I agree with you completely. I am against M. Ryan going that high. There is to much risk, better players to be drafted and he would cost too much.

I think if B. Parcells and company get a conviction on somebody (Henne, Flacco, Brohm) Or if they truly like someone later down that they feel could be "the guy" then go for it.

I would be against drafting a QB just for the sake of drafting one also. Especially if there are better players to be taken.

I was making the arguments with people that do not think QB's are more important than other positions.

I would like to see Jake Long or V. Gholston/C. Long to be the top pick then reevaluate who is at the top of the 2nd round and who will be there at #57

We need 2 starters on the OL line and an ILB and a CB. The value has to right for the spot we are drafting to fill those needs.

But QB should be a priority IF there is a conviction on one of them.

Well then, if you read the entire first post, specifically the last sentence, you'll see we are in agreement.

If we are in a position to draft a QB in this draft, and at that pick the QB is a good value, we should make the pick if we have a conviction on him.

Well then, if you read the entire first post, specifically the last sentence, you'll see we are in agreement.

that was 10 pages ago!! I'm sure I read and agreed with that when it was posted, I only got involved in this thread now to knock Eli down a few pegs, then it steamrolled....

but you can substitute ANY position into that statement as far as I'm concerned. for this year at least, pick where the value is.

But............you can make do with less than top quality at nearly every other position except the single most important...which is of course quarterback.

Yes its a team game, and yes a QB can't do it alone, but without one it is useless.

See the Dolphins a few years ago.....3rd ranked defense in the league, 8 pro bowlers, leagues leading rusher, obviously an O-line good enough to have the leading rusher.....and we couldn't even make the playoffs because of Jay Fiedler.

You are fooling yourself to think this game doesn't primarily revolve around the QB position.

And just because we spend an extra pick we received on a QB to fill out our roster and give us a full pot of potentials to develop, does not mean we are neglecting building the rest of the team.
So, how many superbowls did we win with Marino around? You would consider him a pretty good QB, right?:up:

So, how many superbowls did we win with Marino around? You would consider him a pretty good QB, right?:up:

How old are you? Do you remember the 1984-1995 Drafts?

These were the core drafts during Dan Marino's career, do you remember how bad they were?

Do you remember these first rounders?

Jackie Shipp, Lorenzo Hampton, Eric Kumeroh, John Bosa, Sammy Smith, Randal Hill, Billy Milner...one first rounder traded away for Hugh Green who had a very short career in Miami?

I'm not even gonna bother going into how bad the rest of the rounds were.

A QB can't do it alone, you obviously have to draft well at other positions as well.

There is no guarantee drafting other positions won't bust as well.

So to answer your question, with absolutely horrible drafts supporting him, Marino won the 3rd most games of any QB in history, got mediocre football teams to 3 AFC Championship games, won one AFC Championship, got a team with a bottom 10 defense and pathetic core of runningbacks to a Superbowl on his back.

So your example, is a bad one.

Back
Top Bottom