why not ingram and ponder to solve our QB and RB problem and go OL and Te in FA | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

why not ingram and ponder to solve our QB and RB problem and go OL and Te in FA

Yeah either way it probably leaves us drafting QB again next year but at least we try to get some QB talent in here. But we don't pass up on a guy like Ingram who I think is a lock to be the NFL's next elite RB. He should be talked about in the same sentence with AP and CJ2K by early into the 2011 season.

At least we can get an identity as a strong running team if we get Ingram and seriously upgrade our OL. And although I'm not sure we got much in Daboll, the one thing CLE did do well last year was tote the rock with Peyton Hillis.

I'm fine with us having a nasty running game and good Defense, and then just seeing how Henne and/or the rookie QB develop.
Yeah, regardless of who we bring in at RB and QB, we have to upgrade our OL. Nobody will be successful at either position with what we have. That being said, if Daboll is truly a high flying offensive mind, like has recently been reported, I wonder whether he will put as much weight on a great RB, or will he just be happy with a lower round or FA. Either way, if we don't trade down, IMO we either take Ingram or a deep threat. At least one QB has to be taken in this draft though.

If we are going to lose Ronnie and Ricky (which I don’t think will actually end up happening) then running back is a suddenly critical position of need. Love or hate Henne, we have a second round pick invested in that position and unless you have a sure thing available you have to live or die with what you’ve got and pray the light bulb comes on with the new staff and offense in his third year. You are not going to get a future franchise quarterback with anyone in this draft unless you have some amazing stroke of luck with a third rounder period. The chance to address a critical glaring position of immediate need with a Heisman Trophy caliber player falling right into your lap, to me seems like a no brainer.

Yeah and the other problem with passing on Mark Ingram is that the Pats are picking right behind us and also need a RB. If we pass on him and the Pats scoop him up, it could be a critical mistake that costs us dearly for the next 5 years of facing a Brady and Ingram backfield. Yikes!

If Ingram is a lock to be the next great NFL RB (on par with AP and CJ2K), then we gotta take him at 15.

But it'll be tough call if any one of the top 4 QBs are still on the board.

If you have Mark Ingram it immediately becomes a strategic advantage for your quarterback (whoever it is) when opponents have to account for a top tier running back with great hands. He comes with a pedigree that another player will have to prove on the field to equal. Ingram has it on the first snap dialed in. The wildcat was designed to get our best players on the field, which was Ricky and Ronnie. That was a feared combination until hindsight showed Ronnie danced too much and Ricky had lost a step. At the time, they were full of potential damage that could be done. Now, not so much. With Ingram, Marshal, a decent tight end and another receiver we should be able to have a balanced attack so that having our best players on the field includes our starting quarterback!

Just curious, aside from level of competition, what does Ponder have that Pat Devlin doesn't? It isn't size since Devlin is about the same wgt but an inch taller at 6"4'

There aren't many people that are smarter than he is....

http://www.cp7forheisman.com/

thanks, that's pretty impressiive you're right. But in checking, Pat Devlin trumps his GPA with a 3.8, from a school that academically ranks 75th in 2011 vs. FSU #104, comes from a pro style offense and while I can't think of a recent FSU QB who successfully transitioned to the NFL, (although I could be wrong here), Devlin is following in Flacco's recent footsteps.

thanks, that's pretty impressiive you're right. But in checking, Pat Devlin trumps his GPA with a 3.8, from a school that academically ranks 75th in 2011 vs. FSU #104, comes from a pro style offense and while I can't think of a recent FSU QB who successfully transitioned to the NFL, (although I could be wrong here), Devlin is following in Flacco's recent footsteps.

All true. and good points. For me Devlin is intriguing because he was a big time prospect out of high school broke a bunch of state records and everything. But the one difference i see in their game is Devlins deliver is a little off. I think he actually would struggle a little in the NFL with some of the touch passes and what not.

I would need a little better tape then what i have been able to watch on youtube but thats my concern. Either way both are interesting and realistic prospects

and ive spent soo much time time on ponder i havent addressed Ingram. To me there is no doubt he will be a good player. Elite? i Dont know tho. I hear AP Cj being tossed around when in reality this guys game is not like either of those two. My only thing is we need a identity change in south florida and i feel we are bringing in a ronnie and ricky type player with Ingram. . I could be wrong but thats just my opinion

[video=youtube;FKhTrxk4Nss]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKhTrxk4Nss[/video]

ALTHOUGH I GOTTA ADMIT THIS IS PRETTY IMPRESSIVE ^

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly don't know a whole lot about Devlin. Naturally, when you have two candidate that could be called "comparable," and you're only familiar with one, that's gonna be the pick every time. I know that Ponder got his bachelor's degree in two and a half years, master's in three and a half. That's pretty impressive in my book. Shows work ethic and determination. But again, I don't know much about Devlin.
You're right about FSU QB's translating into pro's. Not much success. In all honesty though, he is the first good QB FSU has had since Weinke(which obviously didn't translate). I don't know if that is something scouts look at or not?

I honestly don't know a whole lot about Devlin. Naturally, when you have two candidate that could be called "comparable," and you're only familiar with one, that's gonna be the pick every time. I know that Ponder got his bachelor's degree in two years, master's in four. That's pretty impressive in my book. Shows work ethic and determination. But again, I don't know much about Devlin.
You're right about FSU QB's translating into pro's. Not much success. In all honesty though, he is the first good QB FSU has had since Weinke(which obviously didn't translate). I don't know if that is something scouts look at or not?

Scouts def take that into consideration. however remember Fsu is under a new coaching staff then years past. Bowden is gone so to say that is a little miss leading for all we know FSU may pump QBs into the league under Jimbo Fisher.

and ive spent soo much time time on ponder i havent addressed Ingram. To me there is no doubt he will be a good player. Elite? i Dont know tho. I hear AP Cj being tossed around when in reality this guys game is not like either of those two. My only thing is we need a identity change in south florida and i feel we are bringing in a ronnie and ricky type player with Ingram. . I could be wrong but thats just my opinion
ALTHOUGH I GOTTA ADMIT THIS IS PRETTY IMPRESSIVE ^

AP and CJ are faster than Ingram so maybe not great comparisons but I just meant that Ingram will be among the best current NFL RBs right away.

If you want a comparison, maybe RICKY IN HIS PRIME (or of course Emmit Smith who most compare him to). But forget about Ronnie. Ronnie isn't in his class.

Back
Top Bottom