Why optimism for the 2017 Miami Dolphins should be real | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why optimism for the 2017 Miami Dolphins should be real

Then I know you know the pain of what not having a good QB means. Fantasy doesn't have anything to do with reality when you have 7,289 QBs behind center from 1999 until 2015.............ok maybe I exaggerated it was only 5,145 Qbs over that time frame. lol.

My fantasy comment was aimed at 39wildman talking about Ryan winning/losing games in the postseason and Tannehill being responsible for 8 win seasons. Pinning W/L records on a QB is a fantasy football perspective.

The playcalling falls on Shanahan, not Ryan. NE also stymied their run game and dared them to throw to end the game. Patriots defense did an excellent job w/ in game adjustments including flexing NT Brown creating extra stress on C Mack, whom was playing with a fractured left fibula, and Atlanta's run game overall.
I hear ya but all they had to do was take the clock down before each snap. At that stage the game is basically over so drain the clock to shorten the game. Idk who you wanna blame the QB, OC or HC but they screwed up collectively

The playcalling falls on Shanahan, not Ryan. NE also stymied their run game and dared them to throw to end the game. Patriots defense did an excellent job w/ in game adjustments including flexing NT Brown creating extra stress on C Mack, whom was playing with a fractured left fibula, and Atlanta's run game overall.

Agree that the playcalling falls on Shanahan, but Ryan doesn't get enough blame for that epic collapse. Other than taking that sack which obviously was a critical error (has to get rid of it there), Melty Ice had some chances to milk the clock when the team was up 3 scores, but chose not to because of his confidence in himself and the offense, big mistake. When you play a team as loaded and brilliant offensively as NE, you need to take time off the clock, don't care what your confidence level is. They chose not to and lost. Who knows if it would have made a difference, probably not. But when you are up 3 scores against that team, keeping your foot on the pedal and ignoring clock is pretty stupid, and imo contributed greatly to the loss. Overconfidence: aka stupidity. I know you like to talk about how brilliant Bellicheat is and his defense which I agree with, but I could also easily make the argument TB and NE's offense won that game more so than their D. By the end of the game, it felt like NE had 10 WRs out there with TB's precision, as always.

Last edited:
Shanahan lost his damn mind with the 2nd half play calling but you can't take a sack there. I've watched the replay more than I'd care to admit. Plenty of time to do get rid of the ball or avoid the defender he saw coming. He froze, bad.

I've always watched Ryan with 'what if' floating somewhere in the back of my mind, but that's gone now. Taking that sack and forcing a punt to give the ball back to Tom Brady with a few minutes to go in the super bowl is beyond any level of my comprehension. Borderline unforgivable.

Matt Ryan didn't call one audible they stick with shanahans play call.

That ones completely on the oc. His situational play calling was horrid.

He called vertical route concepts to make t even worse when he should have ran it twice and burned the clock then called something on 3rd down quick and easy or even a draw if he was behind the sticks to maintain fg range.

But clown shoes

I know you like to talk about how brilliant Bellicheat is and his defense which I agree with, but I could also easily make the argument TB and NE's offense won that game more so than their D.

It goes both ways as does the credit. NE's defense has to make timely stops and their offense has to capitalize on those possessions and score. It's as simply put as that; team effort.

My fantasy comment was aimed at 39wildman talking about Ryan winning/losing games in the postseason and Tannehill being responsible for 8 win seasons. Pinning W/L records on a QB is a fantasy football perspective.

Maybe a game or two during the season with a great QB but and the big but is when you have a QB playing week in and week out at a high level it elevates the team to play higher. Same can be said with a core group of guys like the 2000 Ravens.

There are many ways to win in the NFL and this notion that you need an elite QB to win a super bowl is nonsense.

It is near impossible however to be a dynasty without a great to elite QB.

Will Tannehill ever be Elite, I doubt it but the first step to getting there is being great which is the next step in his progression.

And I've said this all along if he lingers in average to good range you can always draft another QB to push him. People banged tables about his contact, well Miami got a good QB at almost barging basement prices. Now if he ends up great I'd like to be the first to bang the table and say "well how's that team player and contract look now!"

Shanahan was not prepared for Bill Bellichick. You may surprise him in the first half and put up some points but there is no one better in second half adjustments...maybe in the history of the league. He is also great at in-game adjustments. You'd better have a couple alternate plans when they shut down your game plan in the 3rd quarter. He will identify what is happening and counter if it's scheme or technique related. I don't know how many times I have seen him down on the sidelines talking to different position groups, telling them exactly what to do. Then the comeback follows.

Agreed. Kyle Shanahan is the reason the Patriots won the SB.

LOL Whatever helps you sleep at night as a bitter Dolphin fan while not being able to give the Patriot's their rightful credit.

That wasn't the point I was making. NE wouldn't have been able to comeback (which is a big credit to them for doing so) if Shanahan didn't **** the bed late in the 4th quarter.

That wasn't the point I was making. NE wouldn't have been able to comeback (which is a big credit to them for doing so) if Shanahan didn't **** the bed late in the 4th quarter.

NE's defense was dictating the game at that point and had shut down the run game and other areas of the field in the passing game which obviously limits playcalling options. Atlanta made blunders but NE forced the issues and capitalized on them.

NE's defense was dictating the game at that point and had shut down the run game and other areas of the field in the passing game which obviously limits playcalling options. Atlanta made blunders but NE forced the issues and capitalized on them.

Eh. And Marshawn Lynch should've ran the ball in from the 2. NE is elite and one of the best franchises ever. That being said, coaching staffs **** their pants when they play them and they completely blow it at times.

Back
Top Bottom