Why there is no question about Ryan Tannehill and his $17.5 million | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why there is no question about Ryan Tannehill and his $17.5 million

You can't be ****ing serious.

Tell me what you know about pass protection. Technique, scheme, the whole kit and caboodle.

First tell me how that's relevant to a determination of how one team's line compares to the league norm.

First tell me how that's relevant to a determination of how one team's line compares to the league norm.

Um, because you have to be educated in what you are seeing with the ability to break it down. How are these real ****ing questions?

So now tell me about pass protection.

Um, because you have to be educated in what you are seeing with the ability to break it down. How are these real ****ing questions?

You also have to watch every game in the league and aggregate data in that regard over an adequate sample size of games, to determine how one team's line is situated among the league's 31 other teams.

I asked you above how you did that, and you indicated none of the above, saying eyesight alone is your methodology. That isn't anywhere near adequate to accomplish that. If someone asked you to "show your work" in this regard, you'd be completely unable to. We'd have to rest on your perceived authority instead.

The observational approach you espouse has its inherent strengths and limitations, and you seem unable to recognize any limitations, instead portraying yourself as limitless in the use of that methodology.

I'll leave it at that and hope we can move on to another topic. You and I will never philosophically meet in the middle here. We're better off simply avoiding each other when it comes to discussions about what we're "seeing."

You also have to watch every game in the league and aggregate data in that regard over an adequate sample size of games, to determine how one team's line is situated among the league's 31 other teams.

I asked you above how you did that, and you indicated . . .

"you have to be educated in what you are seeing with the ability to break it down."

So, tell me about pass protection. Start anywhere you like.

If you're trying to get me to concede that you know something about football, I'll concede that.

Feel better?

As if I needed your approval on the matter.

So now, tell me about pass protection.

As if I needed your approval on the matter.

So now, tell me about pass protection.

I've shown my work with regard to the position I've taken. The statistics my position rests on are available for you to verify for yourself, independently.

You on the other hand are espousing a position whose work isn't shown at all. It rests only on the expertise you're claiming to have.

And you may in fact have that expertise, but that alone doesn't permit someone to situate one line among the lines of the rest of the league with any reliability. You could indeed have the expertise you're claiming to have and watch only the Dolphins' games, for example, thereby knowing nothing about how their line compares to those of the rest of the league.

The question is how the Dolphins' line has compared to the lines of the other teams in the league, and your answer in so many words has been "poorly, because I said so, and I'm an expert."

Again, show your work, and if the methodology is sound, I'll be the first to agree with your position.

If you're unwilling to do that, the conversation can't go any farther.

I've shown my work with regard to the position I've taken. The statistics my position rests on are available for you to verify for yourself, independently.

You on the other hand are espousing a position whose work isn't shown at all. It rests only on the expertise you're claiming to have.

And you may in fact have that expertise, but that alone doesn't permit someone to situate one line among the lines of the rest of the league with any reliability. You could indeed have the expertise you're claiming to have and watch only the Dolphins' games, for example, thereby knowing nothing about how their line compares to those of the rest of the league.

The question is how the Dolphins' line has compared to the lines of the other teams in the league, and your answer in so many words has been "poorly, because I said so, and I'm an expert."

Again, show your work, and if the methodology is sound, I'll be the first to agree with your position.

If you're unwilling to do that, the conversation can't go any farther.

"my work"?

All you've done is cut and pasted the work of others.

My entire point was that if you are educated and understand how to break down players, then your eyes won't fail you. Film doesn't lie.

I'll gladly show my work when the appropriate situation calls for it. I'm not wasting my time just for show and tell.

Film work takes many hours. Ask me an appropriate question and I'll gladly answer. Be sure use "please" also.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

And there's the main problem with "advanced" statistics! that is why the last two sites (outsiders and pff) have different interpretations on the same data. You have people without the necessary qualifications making subjective decisions on quarterback play. They don't necessarily understand offensive line play, route combinations, and situational play calling based on film and practice reps.

Then you have even less qualified (if you can believe that) people misinterpreting this data or favoring one site above another and bogging the boards down in a crusade to label Tannehill as average or above average. It OCD at best and sociopathic at worse!

Also, I beg to differ about box scores. One can derive a great deal from a box score.

For example, give me the passer rating and turnover differentials alone, and I'll tell you which team won and the margin of victory with relative precision.
Team A's passer rating is better by 3 points than Team B's but they have 3 more turnovers.

I asked you above how you did that, and you indicated none of the above, saying eyesight alone is your methodology. That isn't anywhere near adequate to accomplish that. If someone asked you to "show your work" in this regard, you'd be completely unable to. We'd have to rest on your perceived authority instead.

The observational approach you espouse has its inherent strengths and limitations, and you seem unable to recognize any limitations, instead portraying yourself as limitless in the use of that methodology.

I'll leave it at that and hope we can move on to another topic. You and I will never philosophically meet in the middle here. We're better off simply avoiding each other when it comes to discussions about what we're "seeing."
is all you have to do is go to your favorite source PFF and they will tell you. Here's what your source has to say.
30. MIAMI DOLPHINS (19)
Top overall grade: RT Ja’Wuan James, 78.0 (No. 32)

Top pass-blocking grade: LG Laremy Tunsil, 79.3 (No. 40)

Top run-blocking grade: RT Ja’Wuan James, 81.0 (No. 18)

The loss of Mike Pouncey hurt this team in a major way, and he went down after just 301 snaps of action. Jermon Bushrod was a huge problem at RG all season, allowing five sacks and 34 total QB pressures as a pass blocker. He was also disastrous in the run game, with a 34.9 run-blocking grade, making him the lowest-graded guard league-wide in that facet. Rookie Laremy Tunsil flashed talent throughout the year, but had as many bad games as good ones, and the longer the season wore on, the worse Branden Albert began to look at LT, highlighted by his performance against James Harrison and the Steelers in the Wild Card round of the playoffs.

is all you have to do is go to your favorite source PFF and they will tell you. Here's what your source has to say.
30. MIAMI DOLPHINS (19)
Top overall grade: RT Ja’Wuan James, 78.0 (No. 32)

Top pass-blocking grade: LG Laremy Tunsil, 79.3 (No. 40)

Top run-blocking grade: RT Ja’Wuan James, 81.0 (No. 18)

The loss of Mike Pouncey hurt this team in a major way, and he went down after just 301 snaps of action. Jermon Bushrod was a huge problem at RG all season, allowing five sacks and 34 total QB pressures as a pass blocker. He was also disastrous in the run game, with a 34.9 run-blocking grade, making him the lowest-graded guard league-wide in that facet. Rookie Laremy Tunsil flashed talent throughout the year, but had as many bad games as good ones, and the longer the season wore on, the worse Branden Albert began to look at LT, highlighted by his performance against James Harrison and the Steelers in the Wild Card round of the playoffs.

How strong do you think the relationship was between those offensive line rankings and passer rating in 2016?

If one considers those rankings to be valid, and one believes that passer rating is strongly influenced by offensive line play, then one should expect a strong relationship between the two.

Last season, Tannehill posted a passer rating of 49.1 when under pressure, which ranked seventh-worst of all 33 quarterbacks with at least 200 pass attempts. When operating from a clean pocket, Tannehill’s passer rating of 116.6 ranked fourth-best. This 67.5-point differential between these two numbers was the largest among all quarterbacks last season.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...atter-ryan-tannehill-struggles-under-pressure

Amazing how we can find things to support a narrative.

Was Ryan playing good ball or not before the injury under Gase?

Its kind of weird they don't even calculate under pressure % properly when doing an article on stats.

Back
Top Bottom