Will The Dolphins be Buyers at the Trade Deadline? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will The Dolphins be Buyers at the Trade Deadline?

The Goat

Escape Goat
Club Member
Reaction score
When the Dolphins restructured Jason Sanders’ contract, it made me tilt my head and think a little, and ask just one question:

“Why?”

There was legitimately no reason to restructure his contract aside from one reason: They want more cap space in-season.

So…why do they want more cap space in-season? Is it just to have more cushion in the event more injuries hit?

Maybe…but Miami’s getting healthier by the day.

I’m of the opinion they’re looking to sign or trade for a player. And it’s likely on defense. If I had to bet, it would be for an ILB.

Omar (I know) has suggested a trade for Lavonte David…which as much as I can’t stand Omar…makes a ton of sense.

Do you think Miami will be buyers at the deadline?

No. We cannot afford to keep trading picks. At some point you need to have cheap talent on rookie contracts to create cap space. We drafted 1 starter (Achane) and 1 future starter (Smith) the last two drafts. We need to keep our day 1 and 2 picks. We are already set to lose starters we cannot afford this off-season.

No. We cannot afford to keep trading picks. At some point you need to have cheap talent on rookie contracts to create cap space. We drafted 1 starter (Achane) and 1 future starter (Smith) the last two drafts. We need to keep our day 1 and 2 picks. We are already set to lose starters we cannot afford this off-season.
They may be able to get someone with a late pick. If so, I’d be down.

They may be able to get someone with a late pick. If so, I’d be down.

Additionally, we'll have some extra picks in 2025 as the result of some of our departures.

Also, at some point, we want to go ahead and win a Super Bowl.

Maxx Crosby is a guy I am really interested in right now. The Raiders need the assets to go up and get a top tier QB prospect. Crosby would be a fan favorite instantly with that relentless tenacity.

He only received a $12M signing bonus in his extension so it appears they can deal him. If we could somehow move Ogbah first, we'd have a shot at pulling that one off.

Last edited:
Any good GM will keep his options open and work the phones to better the team
Exactly. Better this team that has the highest likelihood of adding a tiffany's football to the trophy cabinet. This whole cart before the horse thing of saving money to build a dynasty doesn't work if we can't win it all this year. We need improvement at ILB, DL, and need some depth at RB. We'll get to worrying about next year after we kick this year's ass.

Exactly. Better this team that has the highest likelihood of adding a tiffany's football to the trophy cabinet. This whole cart before the horse thing of saving money to build a dynasty doesn't work if we can't win it all this year. We need improvement at ILB, DL, and need some depth at RB. We'll get to worrying about next year after we kick this year's ass.
yep we have a small window to win it all, have to make gut moves and live or die by the sword.

yep we have a small window to win it all, have to make gut moves and live or die by the sword.
Exactly. Hoarding all of the chips right now isn't the move. We have 12 days to add whatever we can get to this team trade wise. One move can put us over the top.

Doubt there will be any major trades, but more people will get injured and they'll have to be replaced. That takes money.

Meh. The Sanders thing saved the team, what, a million and change? I think this is probably just to give the team a little more wiggle room through the season. Players come and go through the season, due to injuries or what have you, so the salary total is always changing. This just gives us a little more flexibility to make moves to keep a full roster. I don't see this small of a savings as having to do with anything deadline related.

But I do believe that Greer is looking at all options and all scenarios every day, and if something that makes sense comes along, he will jump on it.

So while I doubt the Sanders move has anything do with the looming free agency deadline, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Greer makes some kind of move.

Of course, I could be completely way off since I'm not Greer and have no idea what he's actually thinking.

Back
Top Bottom