Will The Dolphins be Buyers at the Trade Deadline? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will The Dolphins be Buyers at the Trade Deadline?

After careful consideration, NO!

Why Ray? Not enough money? Will it take too long to get acclimated to our system? Value? Is the player available a JAG and wouldn't really help us anyway? Or Ray is always, right! Or are you just saying NO because everyone else is saying yes? ;-) ( j/k on the last two, LOL!)

Why Ray? Not enough money? Will it take too long to get acclimated to our system? Value? Is the player available a JAG and wouldn't really help us anyway? Or Ray is always, right! Or are you just saying NO because everyone else is saying yes? ;-) ( j/k on the last two, LOL!)

I believe in brains over belly (gut).
Thats why evolution put our brains above our belly.

How are you "ass-embled". - LOL
Do not try and tell me you go around with your head up your "ass-embly". - LOL

I've seen too many of your good posts.

I know I shouldn't say this, but how do you feel about that?
(waiting to see if he takes the bait) - LOL

I’m thinking Ray don’t want to read 1000 plus pages of speculation trades like we all did with Watson/Cook/Taylor.

I’m thinking Ray don’t want to read 1000 plus pages of speculation trades like we all did with Watson/Cook/Taylor.

Let's just say those "1000 puss pages (HaHa)" are "too much of a good thing".

At least when it comes to material for those "Snarky" remarks I use to dispel some of the nonsense I see in some posts, like the ones the "Lemmings" make.

I believe in brains over belly (gut).
Thats why evolution put our brains above our belly.

How are you "ass-embled". - LOL
Do not try and tell me you go around with your head up your "ass-embly". - LOL

I've seen too many of your good posts.

I know I shouldn't say this, but how do you feel about that?
(waiting to see if he takes the bait) - LOL

I see you didn't "take the bait". - LOL

Personally, I hope not.

Spending next year's money this year has never appealed to me... even less so when my team has a QB still in his 20s.
Do you know how incentive based payments work in relation to cap space? Is a contract that has incentives accounted for at the start of the playing year or as the incentives accrue? I ask because we have a few contracts that are incentive based and am wondering if that money still needs to be accounted for in relation to our current cap number.

Any good GM will keep his options open and work the phones to better the team
This. We all know who we have at GM, Chase Claypool? That was on nobody's radar. There is a chance we lock up an OL next week and relieve some cap space to sign some low hanging fruit. I think Vic is telling Grier we need a guy or two. If you are the front office, I think you are looking at this team and saying we may be 1 or 2 defenders shy of a legitimate lock on the super bowl. We shall see.

This is Grier - he can't help himself with trades. With that said, need to look at it by position

QB - nope
WR - doubtful
RB - doubtful
TE - maybe, but this scheme relies more on blocking TEs than route runners
OL - possibly, more for depth/swing though

DL - maybe
Edge - doubtful, lots of resources allocated there already
LB - possibly, but I think the FO likes Long Jr and Baker more than we do
DB - doubtful, but Grier tends to hoard DBs so he might be looking here

Punter - doubtful
Kicker - possibly

So I can see some scenarios where Grier makes a trade for a player with a late round pick swap a la Claypool trade. Can't see any blockbuster trades though.

Do you know how incentive based payments work in relation to cap space? Is a contract that has incentives accounted for at the start of the playing year or as the incentives accrue? I ask because we have a few contracts that are incentive based and am wondering if that money still needs to be accounted for in relation to our current cap number.
Only a vague understanding...

Some of the bonuses are considered 'likely to be earned' and those are accounted for during the current year. Honestly, I'm not sure which of them are counted (probably bonuses related to games played or being on the roster at a certain date).
Other bonuses relating to pro Bowl selection or achieving certain performance numbers are not considered 'likely to be earned', and these come out of next year's cap.

I could be wrong, but I remember reading about this before. Apparently, incentives are broken down into "Likely to be met" and "Not Likely to be met". "Likely to be met" counts against the current years cap and has already been accounted for, while "not likely to be met" counts against the following year's cap if the player hits on it. If a player doesn't hit on a "likely to be met", there's a cap credit added to the following year. So I guess it all depends on what exactly the incentive is? I could be totally wrong, though, but I think that's how it works?

Only a vague understanding...

Some of the bonuses are considered 'likely to be earned' and those are accounted for during the current year. Honestly, I'm not sure which of them are counted (probably bonuses related to games played or being on the roster at a certain date).
Other bonuses relating to pro Bowl selection or achieving certain performance numbers are not considered 'likely to be earned', and these come out of next year's cap.
I could be wrong, but I remember reading about this before. Apparently, incentives are broken down into "Likely to be met" and "Not Likely to be met". "Likely to be met" counts against the current years cap and has already been accounted for, while "not likely to be met" counts against the following year's cap if the player hits on it. If a player doesn't hit on a "likely to be met", there's a cap credit added to the following year. So I guess it all depends on what exactly the incentive is? I could be totally wrong, though, but I think that's how it works?
Thanks for the explanation fellas!

Back
Top Bottom