With the 16th pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Miami Dolphins select... | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

With the 16th pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Miami Dolphins select...

bunkley, justice, ernie sims, chad jackson or holmes and ofcourse my avatar cromartie

Chad Jackson, any of the top LB's, or trade down for that Georgia safety greg blue! we need a safety might be able to get West Virginia's Addae late in the draft who could turn out to be a bargain

Nappy Roots said:
some wise people passed on Larry Johnson because of the history of penn state RBs. Howd that work out? :rolleyes2

Who passed on Larry because he was from PSU?

He's a good back, but he was also the first back to be selected if I remember correctly. If he was in last year's draft, he probably would have been top 5 because of the need of RB's. There's no history of PSU's RB's doing poorly. Carter and Enis were just injured a lot, unlike the UF guys who just couldn't adapt to the NFL.

kpcane said:
Who passed on Larry because he was from PSU?

He's a good back, but he was also the first back to be selected if I remember correctly. If he was in last year's draft, he probably would have been top 5 because of the need of RB's. There's no history of PSU's RB's doing poorly. Carter and Enis were just injured a lot, unlike the UF guys who just couldn't adapt to the NFL.
obviously alot of teams did, the Bills took McGahee who was injured at the time over Johnson. Johnson fell all the way past #20 so all of those teams past on him because of PSU

nick1 said:
obviously alot of teams did, the Bills took McGahee who was injured at the time over Johnson. Johnson fell all the way past #20 so all of those teams past on him because of PSU

Like I said, I don't know if there was that great of a need for RB that year, that's why people didn't "pass" on LJ. I don't remember there being any hoopla about PSU RB's before that draft.
McGahee was projected to be a top 3 pick before the injury, and went all the way down to 23.
The kansas city chiefs had Priest Holmes at the time, and he was coming off a career year. If there was any question about him, the Chiefs definitely would not have picked him.
And just to prove the lack of a need for RB that year, there was just those two that were picked in the first, NONE chosen in the second, 3 chosen in the third (including Chris Brown and Justin Fargas), and the following were chosen in the 4th - Artose Pinner, Domanick Davis, Onterrio Smith, Quentin Griffin, and Lee Suggs. Those guys have all been starters in this league, and Davis, Griffin, and Suggs, have proven that they can be VERY productive.
People were not shying away from Johnson, and if you have any info that proves otherwise, please tell me.

kpcane said:
Like I said, I don't know if there was that great of a need for RB that year, that's why people didn't "pass" on LJ. I don't remember there being any hoopla about PSU RB's before that draft.
McGahee was projected to be a top 3 pick before the injury, and went all the way down to 23.
The kansas city chiefs had Priest Holmes at the time, and he was coming off a career year. If there was any question about him, the Chiefs definitely would not have picked him.
And just to prove the lack of a need for RB that year, there was just those two that were picked in the first, NONE chosen in the second, 3 chosen in the third (including Chris Brown and Justin Fargas), and the following were chosen in the 4th - Artose Pinner, Domanick Davis, Onterrio Smith, Quentin Griffin, and Lee Suggs. Those guys have all been starters in this league, and Davis, Griffin, and Suggs, have proven that they can be VERY productive.
People were not shying away from Johnson, and if you have any info that proves otherwise, please tell me.

LJ is a guy that put out 1700 yards in only 9 starts. a top 5 RB in the league. he deserved to be a top 10 pick.

Houston and Detriot didnt have need for RBs? Arizona, who had 2 picks didnt need a RB? Chicago, who also had 2 picks didnt need one?

no he wasnt passed over. he was only drafted after a RB that wouldnt even play the next year.

Nappy Roots said:
LJ is a guy that put out 1700 yards in only 9 starts. a top 5 RB in the league. he deserved to be a top 10 pick.

Houston and Detriot didnt have need for RBs? Arizona, who had 2 picks didnt need a RB? Chicago, who also had 2 picks didnt need one?

no he wasnt passed over. he was only drafted after a RB that wouldnt even play the next year.

Yeah and Priest Holmes deserved to be a top 10 pick too...but he wasn't even drafted.

Houston and Detroit both picked in the top 3. Larry Johnson wasn't a top 3 talent coming out of PSU. Chicago's defense was ranked 25th in the league, and their QB was Jim Miller. They had a RB duo of Anthony Thomas and Adrian Peterson. So if you're the GM, which do you try to fix? QB and defense? Yeah me too.

McGahee was disgusting coming out of college. Hell, I would have drafted McGahee over Larry Johnson even if McGahee didn't play for a year. I think LJ is still second to WM, it's just that Buffalo doesn't half a quarter of the line KC does.

KC even knew that they could trade 11 spots down and still get LJ, so that's what they did. And like I said earlier, KC shouldn't even have picked a RB with their first rounder, and they were criticized for it. You won't see a team with an overabundance of receivers picking Chad Jackson this year.

Back
Top Bottom