Would Miami still have picked Beck if Kolb was there at #40? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would Miami still have picked Beck if Kolb was there at #40?

I think they wanted Beck. There has been no evidence released saying Cam was interested in Kolb, but he could be trying to sell us on Beck by saying that he was who we targeted all along.

Beck is going to be great, a steve young type player. Kolb isn't nearly as good as beck. Plus beck did say that his agent told him that the phins were trying to trade up for him.

:rolleyes2

And if we had selected Kolb instead, I'm sure you'd think he would be the next John Elway and Beck would be the next Ty Detmer.

How about he takes a snap, before we start preparing his bust for Canton?

I think it is the nature of teams to lie about the draft and say things went as they "planned" no matter what. However, I've been following the draft and the Dolphins (probably too closely) for many years now and I think this is a rare time where the first 2 picks (Ginn and Beck) fell exactly as they wished. That's just the sense I get. As far as Kolb, I think perhaps he was a bit of a system quarterback and I preferred Beck, though time will tell.

:rolleyes2

And if we had selected Kolb instead, I'm sure you'd think he would be the next John Elway and Beck would be the next Ty Detmer.

How about he takes a snap, before we start preparing his bust for Canton?

Show me where I said he would be the next Steve Young? What I meant was that he would have a similar style to Steve Young, not that he would be as good as him. And no, I wouldn't be saying the same thing about Kolb buddy. Don't think that your the only one on here that knows anything about football.

I don't think it was an inditement that we did not like Quinn we just loved Ginn. Beck had nothing to do with who we took in the first round, the abundance of Qb's available in second proabbly might have been a factor but not one player.

Wasn't it quoted that Cam and Randy sat down with Mr. H on the Wednesday before the draft and told him of their plans? They specifically targeted Ginn and Beck...

We spent much more time with Beck than we did with Ginn, Randy even text him to congratulate him on the birth of his son. I believe them when they say the first two rounds fell exactly as they wanted them. After that I'm not so sure.

We visited with Ginn 4 times I believe. No way we spent more time with ANYONE than Ginn.

i think beck was the best choice i never really like quinn anyway i thought he was all hype but hey we got who we were supposed to get
GO DOLPHINS!!!

Wasn't it quoted that Cam and Randy sat down with Mr. H on the Wednesday before the draft and told him of their plans? They specifically targeted Ginn and Beck...

As far as from what they said it was taking Ginn in the first round. I have seen no quotes on them planning to take Beck in that conversation, thats what people are trying to imply.

Randy said in an interview that Beck was the guy they wanted the whole time. He would get upset or something like that everytime he heard someone say beck's name cus he didnt want anybody to know about beck an how good of a player he was so he wold fall to the phins and as you can see, he did.

I remember an interview with Mueller where he said he kept sending text messages to Beck during the draft checking on him. Randy sent something like "Are you hangin in there?" Becks reply was something like "My wife wants a tan and Im already wearing my sandals." They had every intention of taking Beck irregardless of who else was there.

If i remember correctly they said they liked trent edwards if beck wasn't there. I never heard of miami personell saying anything about kolb. Although i think kolb is a type of player that cam would potentially like(accurate, smart player, good leader) so you never know.

Before the draft I remember there being chatter that the Dolphins were the most comfortable with Ginn and were probably going to select him if available. Considering that, along with their continued interest in Beck, I am sure this is one of the most honest football administrations I've ever seen, at least in connection with the draft.

They said they got all their guys that they wanted, but if Kolb was still there at #40 do you think they still would've picked Beck? This is not a Beck bashing thread and I do like Beck a lot. There were also rumors that were trying to trade up into the first round for Beck. They never said they were trying to trade up for Beck but they said they did try to trade up. Maybe they heard that the Eagles were going to pick Kolb at #37 so they tried to trade up for Kolb. Am I thinking too heard or do you think that could've been what was really happening? Either way I'm satisfied with Beck and think he will be a great QB for us in the future. Would you guys have been happier with Kolb over Beck?

I would not have been happier with Kolb over Beck, but my feelings are that Beck is the guy they had targeted, not Kolb. While Kolb is an interesting prospect as well, Beck is the guy that Mueller kept in contact with all the way up to and including during the draft. Beck is the guy they visited and/or interviewed 4 times, not Kolb. Beck is also the guy who better fits Cam's offense, not Kolb. JMHO, but the evidence that we have available to us indicates that Beck was the selection the Fins wanted all along.

Back
Top Bottom