Would Miami still have picked Beck if Kolb was there at #40? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would Miami still have picked Beck if Kolb was there at #40?

Semantics but yes, Beck and Quinn were closer than Quinn and Russell, and Beck and Edwards.

I think Quinn and Edwards will be the best two pro quarterbacks in this draft.
i think beck and Russel will be solid also.

I do recall Randy saying he was surprised when Kolb was picked by the Eagles, when he said that I thought maybe Kolb could have been the pick at 40. Just something in the way he said it. Although, it's fair to say we were all surprised the Eagles took Kolb. I did have Kolb rated higher than Beck, time will only tell of course.

Cam and Mueller went to Provo, Utah and they privately worked out Beck. I think Beck was the guy they wanted all along and they were just hoping he would still be there, after taking Ginn with their first pick. I think had Beck been gone they would have taken the next best QB prospect....Kolb or Edwards. I think the Eagles drafting Kolb sent a clear message to McNabb that if he doesn't get over his injuries and return to form, that Kolb could be put in pretty quickly. The bottom line is we have Beck, and I think he is the QB they were targeting...Cam and Randy obviously didn't want Brady Quinn....only time will tell if this was a smart move. Having seen Beck play in a few Mountain West conference games, I am really happy with the pick. :)

I do recall Randy saying he was surprised when Kolb was picked by the Eagles, when he said that I thought maybe Kolb could have been the pick at 40. Just something in the way he said it. Although, it's fair to say we were all surprised the Eagles took Kolb. I did have Kolb rated higher than Beck, time will only tell of course.

I remember that but I got the opposite impression. My feeling was that Randy thought it was a poor pick, that Kolb was taken too high.

I think that Beck was a Panic Pick....I really think Kolb was our guy but Philly snatched him...There was absolutely zero reason to move up in the draft at the point they were at....I am not buying it.

I think that Beck was a Panic Pick....I really think Kolb was our guy but Philly snatched him...There was absolutely zero reason to move up in the draft at the point they were at....I am not buying it.

There were confirmed reports before the draft that we scouted Beck thoroughly (much more than Kolb). There were reports during the draft that our target was Beck. After the draft Beck confirmed that we had been contacting him saying we were trying to trade up for him. And up until Detroit traded back there was reason to believe we would have to trade up in front of them in order to get Beck. What makes you doubt Beck was our target and makes you believe Kolb was anywhere in our plans?

All indications are that Miami's draft board at the QB position looked like

1. Jamarcus Russell
2. Brady Quinn
3. John Beck
4. Trent Edwards

When they passed on Quinn for Ginn, they immediately shifted focus to John Beck first, and Trent Edwards second. Had Beck been gone, they would have taken Edwards.

Dave Hyde's sources within the draft room have said that they had Beck rated slightly higher than Quinn, but I think that they rated Beck as the better passer but Quinn as the better overall prospect because of his age and size.

An interesting question would be, if they had to choose Quinn or Beck at #9, they would probably go with Quinn. But, if they had to choose between Quinn and Beck at #40...I wonder if that's still the case. Some other factors jump into the mix when you're looking at a pick at #40 as opposed to #9.

Got to love that analysis, thanks CK.

Maybe you need to read a few more Dolfins post draft news before you say something like that.:err:

I don't think it was an inditement that we did not like Quinn we just loved Ginn. Beck had nothing to do with who we took in the first round, the abundance of Qb's available in second proabbly might have been a factor but not one player.
You seem to think that this is a Ginn over Quinn thing. It is absolutely a Beck over Quinn deal. If you could take five minutes with half of an objective mind you would stop trying on quinns underwear and realize that we got a much better QB than your dream man. FO didnt like quinn, and they were not alone. more than twenty other teams felt the same way. I know he was like your favorite college player and all but its over, we didnt draft him and you should move on. when quinn leads cleveland to a super bowl you can come back and talk about how dumb the pick was, but until then let it go. not a day goes by that you dont post on here trying to defend him. Most people know quinn is a decent QB. You seem to think that every time somebody says something not so flattering about quinn it is a personal attack on you. Nobody knows who you are so relax a little and stop being so sensitive. you are like my girlfriend, always getting bent out of shape over little things that have no impact on life.

You seem to think that this is a Ginn over Quinn thing. It is absolutely a Beck over Quinn deal. If you could take five minutes with half of an objective mind you would stop trying on quinns underwear and realize that we got a much better QB than your dream man. FO didnt like quinn, and they were not alone. more than twenty other teams felt the same way. I know he was like your favorite college player and all but its over, we didnt draft him and you should move on. when quinn leads cleveland to a super bowl you can come back and talk about how dumb the pick was, but until then let it go. not a day goes by that you dont post on here trying to defend him. Most people know quinn is a decent QB. You seem to think that every time somebody says something not so flattering about quinn it is a personal attack on you. Nobody knows who you are so relax a little and stop being so sensitive. you are like my girlfriend, always getting bent out of shape over little things that have no impact on life.

You obviously have the wrong guy. My favorite Qb in this draft was Trent Edwards,and I hate Notre Dame so overrated. I am stating that nobody had Beck rated over Quinn even us. If someone says something inaccurate or something I don't agree with I will state that on that subject. I got into a discussion with Boomer when he said that Quinn was perfect for our so called system while Jamarcus Russel was not a good fit. I just don't think saying that we are so brilliant and that every player we draft draft is going to be good as a sensible approach to looking at my team. Every team has scouts and excellent football minds making thier decisions for the most part and to think that our staff is so much more brilliant in thier analysis than everyone else is a pure pipe dream. I just see alot of silly statements like we obviously liked BEck better than Quinn when Ginn was the player we were so giddy with. If we were as enamoured with Beck as some think we were then why did we take a faily big chance on losing him. If we had taken Trent Edwards or Kevin Kolb we would have got many of the same justifications that we have heard of beck just spun a little differant. i'm not a member of the Brady Quinn manlove society in any way shape or form but I think he was a better football prospect for the NFL. To have an opinion that quinn is a better prospect than Beck of which there are more people that had Quinn rated higher, does that make him my favorite plaer, geesh. Sporting News was the only source I know of that had Beck higher than Quinn but they had Kolb rated higher than Beck also. Matt Moore thier 5th rated Qb was not even drafted so who knows how good thier rankings were. I love the fact that Quinn was not drafted until 22 is an indicator of him being that good but for Beck going 18 picks after him does not speak of his value. i don't think either is really an indicator because every team will not draft a Qb based on what they have on thier roster. Then the myth that our Qb's coach determined that we did not take Quinn, nobody knows that and I'm sure everybody thought leinhart would be a good QB even though his ex coordinator was on a team that took another player over him. So by your logic 21 teams did not like Quinn so if every team passed on a chance to take Beck does that make Beck worse.

I think Quinn and Edwards will be the best two pro quarterbacks in this draft.
i think beck and Russel will be solid also.

I do not have a whole lot of confidence in Edwards. People buying on his pro prospects are pretty much buying on his play as a high school student and not as a collegian. Yes, his surrounding cast was poor and his coaching was not great, but that doesn't give an excuse IMO to take a never-was and project him into something he's not been since high school.

From what I hear, his workout did not impress Phil Simms at all. The film I've seen on him doesn't give me great confidence in his delivery. He's got no sense for throwing the ball away under pressure. He doesn't really have a rocket arm or anything, not even as good as John Beck's. He took a heck of a beating in college and has a number of injury issues under his belt that have kept him out of games.

I do not have a whole lot of confidence in Edwards. People buying on his pro prospects are pretty much buying on his play as a high school student and not as a collegian. Yes, his surrounding cast was poor and his coaching was not great, but that doesn't give an excuse IMO to take a never-was and project him into something he's not been since high school.

From what I hear, his workout did not impress Phil Simms at all. The film I've seen on him doesn't give me great confidence in his delivery. He's got no sense for throwing the ball away under pressure. He doesn't really have a rocket arm or anything, not even as good as John Beck's. He took a heck of a beating in college and has a number of injury issues under his belt that have kept him out of games.

He did about as good a job as possible at Stanford. In a major conferance with basically very little talent to surround him, I doubt Beck, Quinn or Russel would have done any better. The Dolphins obviously liked his workout because he was thier next ranked passer and would have been our pick at 60 if Beck was gone. I admit he is harder to project but from watching the guy play, I see enough to think he will shine at the next level. Losman may not have his job long. Edwards can make all the throws, and does not throw alot of interceptions, seems to make very good reads especially picking up the blitz. Just made a very bad choice of where to play. Probably lost big money playing at Stanford. I think Simms also did not like Phillip Rivers but anyway I have based my opinion of what I have seen with the pitiful team around him.
He really had alot of impressive games that he showed more in 2005. In 2005 played alot of really good teams well.

I totally agree miami was trying to trade up in the first round for beck but could'nt. but the question is if kolb was on the board would miami drafted him absolutly not beck showed poise and accuracy and that is what gave beck the nod.

There were confirmed reports before the draft that we scouted Beck thoroughly (much more than Kolb). There were reports during the draft that our target was Beck. After the draft Beck confirmed that we had been contacting him saying we were trying to trade up for him. And up until Detroit traded back there was reason to believe we would have to trade up in front of them in order to get Beck. What makes you doubt Beck was our target and makes you believe Kolb was anywhere in our plans?

Did u not read my post??...Because there was ZERO reason to move up and get BECK and there were reports that we trying to move up...No 1 wanted Beck earlier then us because if they did he would have been long gone.

Back
Top Bottom