Would Miami still have picked Beck if Kolb was there at #40? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would Miami still have picked Beck if Kolb was there at #40?

Maybe you need to read a few more Dolfins post draft news before you say something like that.:err:

I have read and heard enough....Its not like they are gonna come out and say oh Philly took Kolb so we settled for Beck who we didnt want as much as Kolb.

It seems like Cam always wanted Beck. Even Stanton and Edwards were expected to go before Kolb in a lot of the expert mocks. I think Philly just saw something in Kolb the same way Cam saw something in Beck. Let's just hope Cam was right!

Did u not read my post??...Because there was ZERO reason to move up and get BECK and there were reports that we trying to move up...No 1 wanted Beck earlier then us because if they did he would have been long gone.

I did read your post, your information was incorrect. Detroit had scouted Beck extensively and were widely reported to want Beck. They were picking earlier than us in the 2nd so if we wanted to be sure to get Beck we would have to move ahead of them. That means that your ZERO reason is inaccurtate. And are you completely ignoring Becks interview where he said they texted him three times during the 1st round telling him we were trying to trade up for him?

Also why do you think we wanted Kolb? Was it b/c we scouted him less than Beck? Was it b/c he was less accurate or had a slower relase? You do know that these are two of the qualities Cam says he prizes most in a QB? What is the reason for your thinking we wanted Kolb?

I have read and heard enough....Its not like they are gonna come out and say oh Philly took Kolb so we settled for Beck who we didnt want as much as Kolb.

Read and heard what? I followed this whole situation intently, and I neither read nor heard ANYTHING about us preferring Kolb or being disappointed that Philly took him. If anything, a sigh of relief that they passed on Beck. And also, my guess is that they felt very highly of Trent Edwards as plan B, because Beck was far from a sure thing in terms of being there at #40.

Cam went through a lot of steps with Beck: workouts, tests, interviews, etc. I haven't heard that he put Kolb through the same stuff. I'm assuming this is because he was never that interested in Kolb. Beck is a better QB, especially for this offense.

Philly has a Mormon coach. The Philly media is harsh. Imagine the fodder they would have had if a Mormon coach picks a Mormon QB. I don't imagine this had much to do with the decision, but maybe it did.

You seem to think that this is a Ginn over Quinn thing. It is absolutely a Beck over Quinn deal.

I agree. QB is the key player on any team. You can't compare a QB with a PR/WR. They wanted Beck more than Quinn, knew they could get him later, so they picked Ginn early as a bonus to Beck as a QB. This is a Beck over Quinn debate and I think if Beck had been on national TV, we might be seeing more ads of Beck in a Ford F150 instead of Quinn in his shiny Hummer.

I agree. QB is the key player on any team. You can't compare a QB with a PR/WR. They wanted Beck more than Quinn, knew they could get him later, so they picked Ginn early as a bonus to Beck as a QB. This is a Beck over Quinn debate and I think if Beck had been on national TV, we might be seeing more ads of Beck in a Ford F150 instead of Quinn in his shiny Hummer.

If we wanted Beck that bad we would not have taken a chance of not getting him in the second round. Our draft was all about Ginn. To like Beck I'm not sure why so many see a need to hate on Quinn.There were alot of reasons that Quinn got the exposure over Beck live with it. David Carr was the number one pick and much bigger prospect than Beck and you never saw him in any ads. Some people act like Quinn did not produce on the field and was handed everything. Our reasoning was simple and very open for debate. Ted Ginn was our highest rated player on the board by far so we took him. What helped us take him is that we liked alot og Qb's with a second round grade like Beck, Edwards and figured one of them will be there at our pick. This does not mean we liked BEck better than Quinn just that we felt we could get a good Qb prospect in the second round and still take our highest rated guy on the board. We went BPA.

If we wanted Beck that bad we would not have taken a chance of not getting him in the second round. Our draft was all about Ginn. To like Beck I'm not sure why so many see a need to hate on Quinn.There were alot of reasons that Quinn got the exposure over Beck live with it. David Carr was the number one pick and much bigger prospect than Beck and you never saw him in any ads. Some people act like Quinn did not produce on the field and was handed everything. Our reasoning was simple and very open for debate. Ted Ginn was our highest rated player on the board by far so we took him. What helped us take him is that we liked alot og Qb's with a second round grade like Beck, Edwards and figured one of them will be there at our pick. This does not mean we liked BEck better than Quinn just that we felt we could get a good Qb prospect in the second round and still take our highest rated guy on the board. We went BPA.

Some of those reasons are 1) He was highly recruited out of high school. 2) He went to Notre Dame. 3) Due to the contract with NBC, Notre Dame & Quinn was on TV every week. Maybe not on NBC specifically but every game was nationally televised. 4) If he had declared for the draft after his junior year, he probably would have been the first or second QB drafted. Thus he got a lot of offseason attention. 4) His head coach is supposed to be a QB guru. 5) Quinn played in what is a Pro Style offense. 6) Weis promoted the heck out of Quinn before this year's draft.

Some of those reasons are 1) He was highly recruited out of high school. 2) He went to Notre Dame. 3) Due to the contract with NBC, Notre Dame & Quinn was on TV every week. Maybe not on NBC specifically but every game was nationally televised. 4) If he had declared for the draft after his junior year, he probably would have been the first or second QB drafted. Thus he got a lot of offseason attention. 4) His head coach is supposed to be a QB guru. 5) Quinn played in what is a Pro Style offense. 6) Weis promoted the heck out of Quinn before this year's draft.

7) most importantly he produced and actually had a better collge career than John beck with a better interception to td ratio by far playing against a much better level of competition.

anybody that does not think Quinn will not be good really just has nothing to base it on. Not saying beck won't be good but Quinn has done nothing on the field to make anyone think that he wont be good.

Read and heard what? I followed this whole situation intently, and I neither read nor heard ANYTHING about us preferring Kolb or being disappointed that Philly took him. If anything, a sigh of relief that they passed on Beck. And also, my guess is that they felt very highly of Trent Edwards as plan B, because Beck was far from a sure thing in terms of being there at #40.

I didnt say they were following Kolb more but I wouldnt cross it off the list of all the possibilities though.

I didnt say they were following Kolb more but I wouldnt cross it off the list of all the possibilities though.

true nobody knows for sure and one of the Gurus and many on this board implied that we had Kolb rated high before the draft noting he was late because he was with our people. People believe what makes them sleep better at night and after passing on Quinn for a WR, people want to make all kinds of sense out of our pick. I still stand by my outlook on what happened because if we were so in love with Beck we took way too many risks and were lucky to get him. Gm's always talk like they got what they wanted because it makes them look better and they don't want to admit they got
outgamed.

yes they would still pick Beck. They were trying tio trade up back into the first round to try and pick Beck....

I think Beck is a decent pick, just a bit old. For the record, I like Kolb (I'm an Eagles fan), and I agree with the pick. It makes sense to draft a QB and have him sit and watch/play in mop up time as for 2-4 years and then take over for McNabb, as opposed to drafting a guy the year before McNabb is done to replace him. Why draft a guy one year before McNabb leaves when you can groom him, right?

i still think that miami takes beck.i dont know why but as soon as we passed on quinn for ginn, i kinda new that we would take beck.

Back
Top Bottom