Would Miami still have picked Beck if Kolb was there at #40? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would Miami still have picked Beck if Kolb was there at #40?

I would not have been happier with Kolb over Beck, but my feelings are that Beck is the guy they had targeted, not Kolb. While Kolb is an interesting prospect as well, Beck is the guy that Mueller kept in contact with all the way up to and including during the draft. Beck is the guy they visited and/or interviewed 4 times, not Kolb. Beck is also the guy who better fits Cam's offense, not Kolb. JMHO, but the evidence that we have available to us indicates that Beck was the selection the Fins wanted all along.

I have to agree Larry, this quote from Beck kinda tells it all, he discusses how Mueller was contacting him long before Kolb or Beck were drafted(still in the 1st round).

(On how long he has had contact with the Dolphins about being selected) – “Coach Cameron and Randy Mueller came out and visited me down here in Provo (Utah), where he put me through a workout. Earlier on today, later in the first round, I was getting some text messages from Randy Mueller asking me what I’ve heard and how things were going. When it came time for the second round we were very anxious for that. There have been a couple of other teams talking to us, but I was really pulling for the Dolphins to pick me and it went that way.â€Â

I have to agree Larry, this quote from Beck kinda tells it all, he discusses how Mueller was contacting him long before Kolb or Beck were drafted(still in the 1st round).
Nice find Blue. I remember a post draft interview with Beck when he said the Dolphins were really the only team that showed interest before the draft. Infact, I remember him saying that no one else really came to see him or anything like that. He said it wasn't until about a week before the draft that scouts and teams even started calling him, and even then, they admitted that they didn't know much about him and haven't seem very much tape of him. That seemed unbelievable to me. So either way, compared to other teams, the Dolphins were all over Beck before the draft.

We were looking at Beck but most accounts had him probably gone before our pick so who really knows and the truth will never be told. Targets also are based on who they think will be there. They targeted Ginn but maybe if a differant player drops then they change thier mind. No Gm admits they had other guys that were stolen out from under them. I still believe to this day that Pittsburgh wanted Phil rivers but once they lost him they tried to act like they were targeting Big Ben.

They said they got all their guys that they wanted, but if Kolb was still there at #40 do you think they still would've picked Beck? This is not a Beck bashing thread and I do like Beck a lot. There were also rumors that were trying to trade up into the first round for Beck. They never said they were trying to trade up for Beck but they said they did try to trade up. Maybe they heard that the Eagles were going to pick Kolb at #37 so they tried to trade up for Kolb. Am I thinking too heard or do you think that could've been what was really happening? Either way I'm satisfied with Beck and think he will be a great QB for us in the future. Would you guys have been happier with Kolb over Beck?

Mueller/Cameron are on record as saying that they were desperately trying to trade into the late 1st round to take Beck, Detroit was considered a huge threat in terms of losing him. The Lions traded down with the Bills, the Bills took Pozlunski, we got Beck, and the Lions took homeboy Stanton. Mueller/Cameron said that they felt lucky for Beck to still be there at #40.

I doubt that any such effort was made for Kolb.

There is no evidence that Kolb was even in their top 3 QBs. On the other hand there is considerable evidence that Beck was the guy they wanted as early as #20. And it was reasonable to believe that Beck would be available for Miami at #40. The only team that was considered a threat to take him was Detroit. There were also rumors that Detroit wanted to trade down. So, odds were actually pretty good that Beck would be available and if he wasn't we probably would have taken Edwards. I don't think Kolb was in their consideration and in my analysis Beck, Edwards and Quinn were far better fits for what Cam was looking for.

All indications are that Miami's draft board at the QB position looked like

1. Jamarcus Russell
2. Brady Quinn
3. John Beck
4. Trent Edwards

When they passed on Quinn for Ginn, they immediately shifted focus to John Beck first, and Trent Edwards second. Had Beck been gone, they would have taken Edwards.

Dave Hyde's sources within the draft room have said that they had Beck rated slightly higher than Quinn, but I think that they rated Beck as the better passer but Quinn as the better overall prospect because of his age and size.

An interesting question would be, if they had to choose Quinn or Beck at #9, they would probably go with Quinn. But, if they had to choose between Quinn and Beck at #40...I wonder if that's still the case. Some other factors jump into the mix when you're looking at a pick at #40 as opposed to #9.

Nice find Blue. I remember a post draft interview with Beck when he said the Dolphins were really the only team that showed interest before the draft. Infact, I remember him saying that no one else really came to see him or anything like that. He said it wasn't until about a week before the draft that scouts and teams even started calling him, and even then, they admitted that they didn't know much about him and haven't seem very much tape of him. That seemed unbelievable to me. So either way, compared to other teams, the Dolphins were all over Beck before the draft.

Beck = the best kept secret of the draft.

1. Jamarcus Russell
2. Brady Quinn
3. John Beck
4. Trent Edwards

When they passed on Quinn for Ginn, they immediately shifted focus to John Beck first, and Trent Edwards second. Had Beck been gone, they would have taken Edwards.

Dave Hyde's sources within the draft room have said that they had Beck rated slightly higher than Quinn, but I think that they rated Beck as the better passer but Quinn as the better overall prospect because of his age and size.

An interesting question would be, if they had to choose Quinn or Beck at #9, they would probably go with Quinn. But, if they had to choose between Quinn and Beck at #40...I wonder if that's still the case. Some other factors jump into the mix when you're looking at a pick at #40 as opposed to #9.

I agree with your rankings but think they would have taken Quinn if he was there. Just a case of being in love with one player Ginn much more than any other player , even a position of greater need.

Show me where I said he would be the next Steve Young? What I meant was that he would have a similar style to Steve Young, not that he would be as good as him. And no, I wouldn't be saying the same thing about Kolb buddy. Don't think that your the only one on here that knows anything about football.
Steve Young was a product of the West Coast offense. If he truely was the next Steve Young, Andy Reid would have picked up John Beck over Kolb.

They said they got all their guys that they wanted, but if Kolb was still there at #40 do you think they still would've picked Beck? This is not a Beck bashing thread and I do like Beck a lot. There were also rumors that were trying to trade up into the first round for Beck. They never said they were trying to trade up for Beck but they said they did try to trade up. Maybe they heard that the Eagles were going to pick Kolb at #37 so they tried to trade up for Kolb. Am I thinking too heard or do you think that could've been what was really happening? Either way I'm satisfied with Beck and think he will be a great QB for us in the future. Would you guys have been happier with Kolb over Beck?

Although Kolb was the QB I prefered...according to Mueller and Cameron...NO. They actually stated that they considered trading up into the latter part of RD 1 in order to ensure that Beck would be available.

But when they saw how far Quinn continued to fall and plummet...they liked their chances at staying put. Then, Mueller actually mentioned somewhere where if Beck would've gone to DET in the 2nd round that they had their eyes on Edwards as a fallback.

But I personally liked Kolb better than Quinn as well. But hindsight is hindsight.

I agree with your rankings but think they would have taken Quinn if he was there. Just a case of being in love with one player Ginn much more than any other player , even a position of greater need.

I'm just thinking that at #40, with the significantly reduced investment being put forward, the staff may have felt ok with going after the player that has more upside and potential...and believe it or not, Beck is the guy that has more upside. Quinn is the guy that, because of his size and experience in a pro style offense, is a safer pick.

1. Jamarcus Russell
2. Brady Quinn
3. John Beck
4. Trent Edwards

I believe you're correct CK, but maybe a better way to describe their relative rankings to the Fins might be:

1. Jamarcus Russell
2a. Brady Quinn
2b. John Beck
4. Trent Edwards

Since all indications show that while they may have rated Quinn higher, it sounds like it was just slightly higher - virtually equal.

It's maybe just semantics, but saying Quinn was #2 and Beck was #3, makes it sound like there's a WHOLE STEP difference between them, when really they were very tight....

I'm not sure that age and size would trump 'better passer'. It wouldn't on my board at least not when Beck had decent size and was only a couple of years older. I guess it comes down to how much better of a passer you rate Beck than Quinn. To my eyes that difference was more significant.

Back
Top Bottom