Would the FO have the balls to do this and draft a QB | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would the FO have the balls to do this and draft a QB

I wouldn't say every year as it has been 4 years since we drafted one...though I wouldn't use a high pick, it is still smart to take a chance on someone in a later round...

I think some would have the same argument about taking lineman high every year...I mean if we only mean 1st 2 days as high picks...

2014 - Juwan James, Billiy Turner
2013 - DallasThomas
2012 - Johnathon Martin
2011 - Mike Pouncey
2010 - John Jerry

On top of that....big money on Brandon Albert (2014) and Incognito (2010), as well decent money on Shelly Smith...

Damn that is a lot of resources....

I must not be being clear. I am arguing against several people recommending that they do draft a QB every year until they get it right. I used Cleveland as an example of a team trying that strategy and failing.

While that is a lot of resources, there are 5 players on the line along with a high likelihood of having to use backups for a significant period of time. That is 9 players trying to fill 6 or 7 slots.

The acquisition of Pouncey, Incognito, Jerry, and Martin was an attempt to fix a long broken OL. The bullying scandal cost the Dolphins Jerry, Incognito, and Martin and forced them to try to reload with Smith, Turner, and James. Mounting injuries to Jake Long led to the signing of Albert. The point is that most of the acquisitions were actually attempts to fill the biggest holes on the roster. Something that needs to be done again.

I wish the Dolphins were in a position to take BPA, regardless of need, because all the needs were equally small.

Except for the QB late in his career in nearly the inevitable cliff and is likely to be gone, whether the team wants it or not. That is the point of drafting a eventual replacement for an aging veteran. It is very rare for a team to draft another QB high before having decided to move on from their current QB. There is too much pressure to get the rookie in. When you draft another QB high, you have already decided to move on. Once you have done it, there is no going back, just ask San Diego.

it's actually ironic that people keep bringing up the San Diego, Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers comparison.

if anything that should be a lesson in patience, HAH. I wonder if the chargers could go back in time would they have wished to grab a playmaker instead of inheriting a pressure bomb to help them get rid of the eventual Superbowl MVP, first ballot HOF Drew Brees because he wasn't satisfying the fanbase.

Now San Diego has a lesser qb in Phillip Rivers that can't make the post-season, shipped off one of the greatest, and is relocating their franchise.

but yea, let's be like them.

I think if you're going to use that sort of strategy, at most you're going to draft a qb every 3 draft... And even then you might get rid of a cam newton in the process by following such a blind linear syrategy... One every draft is just such a stupid idea no matter how you look at it...

Outside of Carson Wentz falling to the 2nd, I wouldn't look for a QB in the first two rounds, and I don't see Wentz falling that far.

Outside of Carson Wentz falling to the 2nd, I wouldn't look for a QB in the first two rounds, and I don't see Wentz falling that far.

My thoughts exactly. Wentz is the only guy I would look at in the 2nd but he'll be gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some people are saying wntz might even be the first qb drafted so yeah i dont see him falling either.

It's reasonable to conclude that this is it for Tannehill. He has this year with Gase to prove himself and if he doesn't he's gone. I hope Tannehill shows he's the future but he has some key issues that tell me he'll never be more than just another guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regardless of your opinion, teams don't do what you suggest (draft another QB in the first 3 rounds within 4 years of drafting a QB in the 1st) very often.

There have been 49 QBs drafted in the first round since 1998. Of those teams who drafted round QBs, how many do you think drafted another QB in the 2nd or third round within the next 4 drafts (which is what you are suggesting the Dolphins do)?

Two. Denver and GB. Denver was because they had a brain fart when they drafted Tebow in the first round. They realized their mistake and signed Peyton Manning, then drafted someone to groom. They were not drafting competition for Tebow. GB hadn't started Rodgers yet and Brian Brohm was presumably brought in for competition or to groom and trade. GB is a team that has had success selecting QBs for development and trading purposes for a while (Aaron Brooks, Matt Flynn, Matt Hasselbeck, Mark Brunell, Ty Detmer). I would love for the Dolphins to be able to do that. Every few years turning a 6th or 7th round pick into a 1st or 2nd round pick would be great. Brohm was a miss.

A few teams drafted another QB in the first round (Titans (Locker retired), Browns (Weeden sucked), Jaguars (Gabbert sucked)). Is this who you want to emulate? BTW, the Browns may do it again.....

One drafted another QB in the first round in the fifth draft (Ravens). They had decided that Boller was a mistake.

The point is that none of the teams drafted another QB in rounds 1 - 3 (where most starters come from) until they had decided to move on from their first round pick. None of them had performed any where near as well as Tannehill.

The Dolphins are not close to making that decision.

it's actually ironic that people keep bringing up the San Diego, Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers comparison.

if anything that should be a lesson in patience, HAH. I wonder if the chargers could go back in time would they have wished to grab a playmaker instead of inheriting a pressure bomb to help them get rid of the eventual Superbowl MVP, first ballot HOF Drew Brees because he wasn't satisfying the fanbase.

Now San Diego has a lesser qb in Phillip Rivers that can't make the post-season, shipped off one of the greatest, and is relocating their franchise.

but yea, let's be like them.

Lol and we think we are bad at making dumb decisions. When they drafted rivers the year before they had no wide receiver go over like 800 yards so wr was a clear need. Imagine if they kept brees and drafted the best wr available that year instead of rivers. First wr taken that year was larry fitz. They could of had brees, LT, Gates and Fitz... That would of been crazy

You clearly aren't following. Your saying that the Browns should have drafted a better supporting cast instead of QBs, insinuating that maybe the QBs they drafted may have had a better chance for success? That is false otherwise why haven't those QBs found success else where? The Browns suck because they have no QB and will continue to suck. The only reason we are slightly better is because Tannehill is slightly better.

Also obviously my opinion on who I think is better than tannehill in this draft is irrelevant. I was speaking for the FO if THEY think a QB is better than what we already have.

This is just lunacy. From your few posts in this thread, it would seem you're part of the party that thinks Tannehill is the whole team and must overcome everything on his own. Do you not think the rest of our team sucks? Huge holes elsewhere? Newsflash buddy- CB, MLB, FS, guard, pass rusher - all make our team better than just drafting some qb for the hell of it

you bring up parallels of other teams failed qbs as an excuse to say we don't need to fix the rest of the team first.. Haha what?! What qb (and a rookie qb at that) is going to step into this team- unseat Tannehill- and go on to make us great and good enough to beat the patriots consistently?? Also- Tannehill has shown he is light years ahead of any lackluster qb drafted by the Browns in the last decade. Your post is just a whole lot of confused

To be honest, I think Adam Gase took this job in a large part due to Ryan Tannehill. He must think Tannehill is worth developing. I wouldn't doubt that the team looks mid-round maybe for a second string quarterback.

Next year, all bets are off. If Tannehill doesn't take another step or two, then drafting a quarterback could be a priority.

Waste of resources. If you're getting a QB, do it in the first round. Also, don't.

To be honest, I think Adam Gase took this job in a large part due to Ryan Tannehill. He must think Tannehill is worth developing. I wouldn't doubt that the team looks mid-round maybe for a second string quarterback.

Next year, all bets are off. If Tannehill doesn't take another step or two, then drafting a quarterback could be a priority.

Well I think its a safe bet that Gase won't even be in a position to determine if Ryan is "his guy" at QB until he gets his chance to coach him and his coaches work with him, I doubt he would make that decision just off tape from last year when he wasn't the HC so I doubt he would be pounding the table to draft one high in this draft.

Lol and we think we are bad at making dumb decisions. When they drafted rivers the year before they had no wide receiver go over like 800 yards so wr was a clear need. Imagine if they kept brees and drafted the best wr available that year instead of rivers. First wr taken that year was larry fitz. They could of had brees, LT, Gates and Fitz... That would of been crazy

i have a feeling they'd be a different san diego chargers franchise right now....quite literally.

Brees was the perfect example of 4 meh years pretty good but not " elite " according to San Diego Fans .

Then he ran into a coach that knew what the hell he was doing and will now be inducted into the hall of game .

Don't give up on Tannehill yet . He has one more make or break year . But let's put him in a position to succeed , not fail .

He's been in a position to fail with this o line.

You got a competent OC , now get a competent line and we'll all have our final anwswer on Tannehill . While we get that answer, we might as well improve our TEAM and grab a linebacker or corner

Back
Top Bottom