Would u take Patterson at 12 and trade back into 1st for a DE since draft deep at DE? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would u take Patterson at 12 and trade back into 1st for a DE since draft deep at DE?

Which is why people should give thought to the possibility of drafting Cordarrelle Patterson AND another player a little later on.

maybe patterson and hunter? i also have a feeling that hunter might light up the combine, i dont know if anyone else feels the same way about him.

There's no question that Keenan Allen plays the WR position better than Patterson does right now, although Patterson is the superior playmaker. Patterson was the best playmaker in the SEC during his first season playing at that level. The reasons why should be fairly obvious even to those who only watch 5 minutes worth. He's a special talent.

However, he also has issues that spook me a little, both on and off the field.

I'm not sure I'd take any WR in the top 15 of this draft, but as I said a while back, it would certainly be Patterson if I were to go that route. If I'm going to take that risk, I'm going to take it on the kid that I believe is the most uniquely talented.... and that kid is without question Cordarrelle Patterson. There's no doubt in my mind whatsoever on that.

There's no question that Keenan Allen plays the WR position better than Patterson does right now, although Patterson is the superior playmaker. Patterson was the best playmaker in the SEC during his first season playing at that level. The reasons why should be fairly obvious even to those who only watch 5 minutes worth. He's a special talent.

I'm not sure I'd take any WR in the top 15 of this draft, but as I said a while back, it would certainly be Patterson if I were to go that route. If I'm going to take that risk, I'm going to take it on the kid that I believe is the most uniquely talented.... and that kid is without question Cordarrelle Patterson. There's no doubt in my mind whatsoever on that.

And exactly what Ireland, Ross, and Philbin have stated we are targeting......"playmakers". ;)

Slimm, haven't heard your thoughts on Hopkins. Where does he fall into the mix for you?

Miami let a rookie QB start last season. They could go with rookie WR's to build with Tannehil next season. I could see Miami taking Patterson/Allen in the 1st and Hopkins/Woods/Bailey in the 2nd.

I'm glad to see the veterans all start to come around on Cordarrelle Patterson. As I've said before, he kind of reminds me of a 6'3 Mark Duper. While he's not quite as fast as Duper was, he's definitely got tremendous explosion and is a scary deep threat that demands safety attention and opens up the running game. But, I see a lot of great WCO skills such as strong hands, hands catching technique, separation quickness, change of direction, ability to set up and follow his blocks and blocking ability.

What I don't see is the required precision route running, correct decision making on hot reads, full route tree, and consistently reliable hands. Those are big areas where he is raw, and he must become very good at those if he is to really be a success in this offense. In that regard, he is kinda like Victor Cruz was, and we may play him before he really is ready.

Looking at value, Keenan Allen appears to be a good WR, but I'm not convinced he is a full round better to the team than Robert Woods or the other talent that should be available in round 2. Better? Maybe, but I'm not expecting the dropoff to be dramatic. I think this draft will have pass rushing talent available at 12 that seems more compelling. I'd love to pick up Chase Thomas in round 3 if he lasts that long, but I doubt we do that as he's more of a 3-4 defense fit. Jenkins out of Florida State might be good, but he may need a season before he is really ready for full time NFL work, so that would be more of an investment.

If we don't have a clear value pick at 12, I think we would seriously consider offers to trade back. If Cincinnati wanted to go nuts and trade us their #1 and #2 for our #1, I'd probably jump on that. Alas, that's probably just a pipe dream.

To answer the question , yes I would take Patterson at 12. After he blows up the combine I doubt he even makes it to 12.

I still say Miami goes offense via free agency and defense in the draft and if I was Jeff Ireland and need to win now that is exactly what I'd do.

Depending on what we do in free agency (Jennings/Wallace/Bowe), I would think a WR is a possibility at 12. If we trade down to acquire more picks, I think WR becomes even MORE of a possibility along with DE. Can't really go wrong.

Back
Top Bottom