Would You Take Matt Ryan #1,If He Had Flacco's Arm? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would You Take Matt Ryan #1,If He Had Flacco's Arm?

I cant fathom how people consider this guy a franchise QB...

Too many picks, too low a completion percentage in college!

One play in particular stands out: Against VT, the last minute play where he escapes the colapsing pocket, keeps his eyes downfield, and makes a cross field throw to the endzone for a GW TD!!!!!

Great play, right?

As soon as that ball left his hands and spent what seemed like 30 seconds in the air, the first thing I thought to myself: "It this was the NFL, that would be 6 the other way. No way he squeezes that in there against a bunch of DBs with NFL speed."

It won him the game, and filled his highlight reel, but in reality it was a AWFUL decision; there is no way that a guy with his lack of arm strength should even look at that side of the field on that play. That crap works in college, but it wouldn't fly in the big league.

I've read on here more than once that our very own jeff ireland likes matt ryan.

could be a smokescreen, could be fact.

theres really no way of knowing.

unless you personally know ireland, which I do not.

he likes matt ryan yes but has he come out and publicly stated that he is worth the number one overall pick? id like to read it if he did is what im saying.

I don't get this thread!?! It's like asking would you take chris long if he had ted ginn's speed.

I definately would take Matt Ryan number 1 if he had Joe Flacco's arm.Ryan has the best leadership,intangibles,and awareness in the draft.Although he has a knack for turning the ball over,he stated that QB's have to be willing to risk a INT(which is true),or youre going to be holding back on not only yourself,but your team as well.Ryans arm is good,but isn't amazing.He has proto-typical size and weight for a NFL QB,6'5",224.Not too mention he is the most accurate passer coming out of college.So, i was wondering,would you take the QB in Matt Ryan if he had Flacco's powerful arm with the number one pick?

Um.... well he dosen't have Flacco's arm so why is there a discussion like this.

This isn't fantasy robo-draftee where you can buy upgradable parts along with your draft picks.

could you name these gms please?
Tom Heckert was one. Charlie Casserly was another. In the Heckert article two unnamed GMs said Matt Ryan is who they would take with number one overall, two took Chris Long, two McFadden, one Jake Long and one Dorsey. In the Casserly article he had interviewed all 32 GMs and the consensus was Ryan was the best QB and would be a legitimate number one pick for a team that needed a QB. Frank Coyle a former scout also has us drafting Ryan

Add the fact that our GM Ireland is intrigued with drafting Ryan (unless you subscribe to the conspiracy theory of the smokescreen) and it becomes pretty obvious that the professionals view Ryan as a legitimate number one pick. Not the only one, granted, but definitely in the discussion

Tom Heckert was one. Charlie Casserly was another. In the Heckert article two unnamed GMs said Matt Ryan is who they would take with number one overall, two took Chris Long, two McFadden, one Jake Long and one Dorsey. In the Casserly article he had interviewed all 32 GMs and the consensus was Ryan was the best QB and would be a legitimate number one pick for a team that needed a QB. Frank Coyle a former scout also has us drafting Ryan

Add the fact that our GM Ireland is intrigued with drafting Ryan (unless you subscribe to the conspiracy theory of the smokescreen) and it becomes pretty obvious that the professionals view Ryan as a legitimate number one pick. Not the only one, granted, but definitely in the discussion

well it still would put them in the minority since the majority went away from picking him. this article also says that the teams dont consider him as highly as other qbs and one team president even went as far as saying most teams dont consider him a franchise qb.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-080124dan-pompei-nfl-draft,1,2047991.column

well it still would put them in the minority since the majority went away from picking him. this article also says that the teams dont consider him as highly as other qbs and one team president even went as far as saying most teams dont consider him a franchise qb.

Noone got more picks than Ryan so using your logic every player is in the minority. Also he's the best QB prospect this year. There's no debate on that with the pros. The article says he's not as high as Jamarcus Russell, Eli Manning and Carson Palmer in their minds

Here's the complete quote on your franchise quote"This year none of the quarterbacks are franchise guys," one team president said. "You can't even argue they might be. But the reason you take a quarterback, even if he's not the perfect prospect, is that's the only position where the pay for the first pick in the draft would be even close to being justified. It has a chance to be justified. Whoever you get, you're going to severely overpay."

And if you want to choose the bad quotes over the good ones here are some for the other players

Chris Long probably is the safest pick among the top four. He probably won't be a bust, but he also probably won't be a Hall of Famer like his father Howie Long.

"He's 280 pounds," one AFC general manager said. "It's not like he's 320 and dominant."

Everyone is in agreement that Dorsey will be an outstanding pro. But if, as expected, the Dolphins elect to use a 3-4 defense, choosing Dorsey will make little sense. You don't use the first pick in the draft on a nose tackle—which is what Dorsey would play in a three-man front.

Noone got more picks than Ryan so using your logic every player is in the minority. Also he's the best QB prospect this year. There's no debate on that with the pros. The article says he's not as high as Jamarcus Russell, Eli Manning and Carson Palmer in their minds

Here's the complete quote on your franchise quote"This year none of the quarterbacks are franchise guys," one team president said. "You can't even argue they might be. But the reason you take a quarterback, even if he's not the perfect prospect, is that's the only position where the pay for the first pick in the draft would be even close to being justified. It has a chance to be justified. Whoever you get, you're going to severely overpay."

And if you want to choose the bad quotes over the good ones here are some for the other players

Chris Long probably is the safest pick among the top four. He probably won't be a bust, but he also probably won't be a Hall of Famer like his father Howie Long.

"He's 280 pounds," one AFC general manager said. "It's not like he's 320 and dominant."

Everyone is in agreement that Dorsey will be an outstanding pro. But if, as expected, the Dolphins elect to use a 3-4 defense, choosing Dorsey will make little sense. You don't use the first pick in the draft on a nose tackle—which is what Dorsey would play in a three-man front.

to think dorsey could only play NT is just not true. he gives us more versatility along the line by being able to play any position. my point on ryan is he is not a franchise qb which a good amount of those gms, scouts and draftniks keep saying. i dont see the point in drafting ryan at #1 overall when he isnt heads and shoulders above the next guy on the list.

give beck this year, and if he fails horribly, shoot for perriloux in next years draft.

Perriloux...really!?!? No way. Imo...Perriloux isn't even a top 10 prospect next year.

Try shooting for Hunter Cantwell of Louisville, who I think will be a great NFL QB. He was buried behind Brian Brohm last season, this season will be his turn to shine.

to think dorsey could only play NT is just not true. he gives us more versatility along the line by being able to play any position. my point on ryan is he is not a franchise qb which a good amount of those gms, scouts and draftniks keep saying. i dont see the point in drafting ryan at #1 overall when he isnt heads and shoulders above the next guy on the list.
fair enough. agree to disagree. I dont see Long and Dorsey being that much better if at all and being that QB is the most difficult position to fill I think we'll end up drafting him but we'll just have to wait until the combine to see if anyone seperates

I would take Matt Ryan at # 1 with Matt Ryan's arm.

He will go in the top five and as high as number one overall. He is a very good quarterback prospect.

That said, I prefer Glenn Dorsey.

If we are looking for a Qb early next year I would put my money on Matt Stafford at this extremely early date.

I still think it's unfair for some people on here to look at 19 INT's and say oh #$%%, thats way too high.

He had 654 pass attempts. thats a friggin ton.

and it certainly is unfair to say oh yeah, that was a td in college but there is no way it's a td in the nfl. you just never know.

Its not his arm that I don't like about him, its his decision making.

Regardless, I don't think we have to worry about it anyway. My money is on Long or Dorsey.

Back
Top Bottom