Would You Trade Our 1st 2nd Round Pick In 2013 For A First Round Pick In 2014? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would You Trade Our 1st 2nd Round Pick In 2013 For A First Round Pick In 2014?

Trade 2nd round pick in 2013 for 1st in 2014?

• Yes

Votes: 80 51.3%
  • No

Votes: 39 25.0%
  • Depends what is available at that pick

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • Other/Please explain

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
I remember Joch McDaniels doing this on draft day to take Alphonso Smith. He traded a 1st round pick the following year for a high 2nd rounder, and he was laughed out of Denver.

This wasn't even on the short list of things he was laughed out of Denver for.

A 1st this year is worth the same as a first next year. The only reason people pay a premium is to protect the team trading the present pick from having a worse off pick. If you trade a 2 for 1 the worst case scenario is you move down 1 spot. Today's NFL is too "win now" for a strategy like this to work. If your entrenched in your job (Patriots situation), you can afford to wait until the next year to get what should be a better player. Like mentioned before, TVM is not a factor with draft picks. Just as an example, if we traded our 2010 2nd, which was a relatively high pick that turned into Misi, for a 1st in 2011, we could have got Jonathon Baldwin, Mark Ingrahm, Wilkerson, etc. The talent at even the bottom of the first is generally a step up from even the top of the 2nd. I would do this every time theres a chance. The key to their being a chance is having a player on the board with elite talent at a position you don't need (ex: Patriots when QB's are on the board). We don't have elite talent anywhere so we won't be in this position, in my opinion.

it all depends on the value. trading up is a gamble but it's an educated gamble. if your scout are good and they say this guy is the next XYZ at this position, then trade it.

No. I want to win now.

The Pats recently stopped doing this since the results don't work.

Last year they made a ton of in trade moves to move up or down and used a lot of the extra 2012 picks.

This year, they only have 5 or 6 picks I think in 2013...

Only partially true. The pats trade out of the first round consistently to get later round picks and stockpile. They rarely drafted in the first round or at least traded back. I think what he's saying has more to do with having two number 1's in 2014. I personally wouldn't be opposed since this year is kinda weak. Two number ones a year from now could turn out to be pretty good and certainly more economically forgiving given the new structure.

Teams who have as many holes and needs as we do CANT do something like this. I agree we will be getting more in return next year, but why keep delaying the rise of this team? If we were a playoff team who is a few players away from being super bowl bound then they can pull it off. Good idea though.

Unfortunately we have a GM who has backed himself into a corner with almost 5 years of incompetence and now he is in a make or break year in terms of job security after four straight losing seasons. I doubt we would do the move because a 2014 First round pick will do nothing to help JI's jobs security.

**** I'd do it, rip a team like the Browns off lol. That'd be smart.

Misread your question...

In any case...HELL YES!!! I would give up picks this year to get more in the future because Ireland will be gone after next year when all the bull**** excuses have been used up...

Who the hell wouldn't trade a 2nd for a future first? I want to trade down to the top 20-25 spots this draft and get Justin Hunter and a third additional 2nd round pick, so in my scenario...hell yes I'd trade one of my three 2nds for a 1st the next season...that is insanity if you did not jump all over that deal.

Absolutely, and in addition - it also depends on what is done in FA and of course, your draft board. It would be nice to have 2 X #1 picks to start the process of accruing at least and extra #2 that can be flipped into a #1 most years ...

Re-Sign:
Reggie (3 years $18 Million), Starks (4 years $28 Million), Smith (3 years $21 Million), Hartline (4 years $20 Million), Fields (4 year $8 Million)

Fields is all ready signed for the next 4 years
He signed a 5 year $14,424,000 contract becoming a ufa in 2017

If a deal comes up that is too good to be true u take it...

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

No, not with the new salary cap. Instead of buying a QB and paying a premium; everything is on clearance, same quality cheaper price.
I see it just the opposite. With the new CBA you can get young talent, like you said, cheap. So having two first rounders next year would not hurt us like it did in years gone by. I have been saying this since the new CBA. Any time you get a chance to get a pick a round higher, snatch it.

No. I want to win now.

The Pats recently stopped doing this since the results don't work.

Last year they made a ton of in trade moves to move up or down and used a lot of the extra 2012 picks.

This year, they only have 5 or 6 picks I think in 2013...
it's called the brady window. the picks made over the last year, and the next two seasons will be the only ones to benefit from brady. NE is due for a huge retooling as soon as he and BB retire together.

Back
Top Bottom