Would You Trade Our 1st 2nd Round Pick In 2013 For A First Round Pick In 2014? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would You Trade Our 1st 2nd Round Pick In 2013 For A First Round Pick In 2014?

Trade 2nd round pick in 2013 for 1st in 2014?

• Yes

Votes: 80 51.3%
  • No

Votes: 39 25.0%
  • Depends what is available at that pick

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • Other/Please explain

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
YES I definitely would be willing to part with a 2nd rounder this year for a first rounder next year....especially since we have TWO second rounders this year.

There it is again: "You have already voted on this poll."

It's like I'm being followed around. I think I'm getting the hang of this paranoia stuff.

Sure, I'd make that trade. In fact, attach Egnew for a first in 2089. At least he'll break one NFL record.

i think this is a potential playoff year, but maybe a one and done playoff year coming up, i hope not, but with the draft and firepower we have for offseason i think we're gonna be set for 2014. dang why am i talking about 2014 season already. unless we have a player we our in love with at that spot i say you have to take it. maybe see if for the heck of it we could also get maybe a 6th rounder in this years draft. ive stated my desire that if he falls far enough that i wouldnt mind picking up lattimore and putting him on PUP for a season. just to prep for our 2014 season, so this would be no different than trading a 2013 pick for a 2014 pic, seeing as how he'd be kinda like a 2014 pick. i really expect clowney to declare this year. i would prefer the trade to happen at the time of the pick, none of that crap that cost us randy moss where we traded before the pick even got to us

I doubt it will happen because Ireland needs this team to win now but I honestly wish it would happen! Have more picks in 2014 for the new GM!
That is if Ireland misses this offseason.

IDK about trading our first 2nd rounder but would defiantly trade our 2nd one. NE had been successful doing this because they have been consistent contenders with fewer needs to fill. They had the luxury of taking a quality over quantity approach. That is a luxury we haven't had in recent years.

IDK about trading our first 2nd rounder but would defiantly trade our 2nd one. NE had been successful doing this because they have been consistent contenders with fewer needs to fill. They had the luxury of taking a quality over quantity approach. That is a luxury we haven't had in recent years.

You wouldn't get it for a bottom 2nd rounder. It's just very unlikely to happen. Look back at all the trades that HAVE occurred for a future 1st rounder. Most, if not all (excluding the NE one, because that was a huge gamble for them but a brilliant one at that) of the trades for future 1sts involve a 2nd rounder in the first 10 picks of the 1st round.

Lucky for Miami they are currently #10 in the second round, just at the very end of that cut off point. If Miami were to get that offer from a team like Seattle, Indy, Washington - a young team that is on the upswing, confident that they will not only be at the same position the following year but EXCEEDING that position in the following year thanks to the play of this coveted player, then you take it. The risk is WELL worth the reward.

You're delaying a single season of a selection for the gain of likely 20-32 spots in the first 42 selections. That's beyond massive. That's earning an extra 2nd, and quite possibly an extra 3rd, just for waiting a year. It's very realistic a team like Indy or Seattle comes back down to earth simply due to their "lucky breaks" or play that may not be sustainable. You now have their 1st round pick after they have a disappointing but understandable 7-9/8-8 season. That pick is near 16-17. What would it take for you to trade back to 42 from 22? Well, going by some of the trades we've seen in the new rookie cap age - it'd be huge. Middle to bottom 2nd round, possibly extra 4th rounder huge. That's a ton of picks, and more ammo. Exactly what the Patriots do.

How did that all start? Because they saw an asset they had (WR) and they let him go knowing the system and the back ups were in a similar vein. Ireland did the same. Rather than string out and use up all the benefit of the asset, he opted to let it go for a return.

You're looking at an return of interest that you'd only see in a pyramid scheme. You had to do it. And in response to the "Jeff Ireland must win now!" stuff, I think if he were to walk away from this draft with 3 guys that everyone agrees were playmakers, good value, quality etc (basically, a similar draft to 2011, like it or hate it) AND an extra 1st round pick for 2014... he'd be popping champagne in his office with Ross.

Stockpile picks for next year? Absolutely. Two words: Jadeveon Clowney.

And Amari Cooper after that.

I've been a fan of Clowney since HS but he scares me as a prospect. He disappears for such huge gaps of time that if I don't see an improvement I'd be VERY cautious about spending a top 10 pick on him.

I mean, if you talk to most people you think he blew up Michigan the entire game, when in reality he did absolutely nothing until that huge run stop.

I've been writing about this concept for years. It's absurd to me that people actually think that a 1st next year is worth a 2nd this year because you get the player a year earlier. Well you also get a player whose career (all things being equal) will end a year earlier so that's a wash.

People just get stuck on the idea because they know (vaguely) about interest rates, inflation and the concept of time value of money. They just don't realize that there's no such thing as time value of draft picks.

If you were able to trade every single one of your natural picks every year in perpetuity for a pick in the next year's draft that was one round higher, the net effect would approximate being handed two 1st round picks every year instead of one. You'd have an inherent advantage over every other team in the National Football League.

Now unfortunately you can't really trade every natural pick every year, there just aren't enough trade partners. But if you're a team that becomes well known for being perfectly willing to execute that trade in almost any situation sight-unseen, buyers have their way of finding you. As such if you track via Trade Chart Value the amount of Value being turned in on Draft day by the Patriots in every Draft from 2002 to 2012, you would find that the Patriots have on average used about a 2nd round pick's worth of value more than they were given, any given year.

That's like running a 37 yard dash while everyone else runs a 40 yard dash.

anytime I can have two first round picks going into a year, you bet your ass I"m in favor of it.

two first rounders is some real firepower... you can draft 2 of the top 32 available players or you can make a power move and trade them in for a top five pick and get elite talent in return...

so yea, I'd be all about trading our first second rounder for a first next year, we aren't fixing things in one offseason anyway.

I think you have to. Not only because it's a move up from the current spot you're in, but because the draft is sure to be deeper next year. This year it seems so weak. You just hope for a couple of diamonds in the rough.

The only time a time preference comes into effect is when you have an old team and want to take a shot at being a contender sooner rather than later, before the bulk of your team is washed up and retires. Picks should always, always be stockpiled, however, since it makes it a lot easier to trade up for "your guy" that you think you need to make a run. eg, Julio Jones to the Falcons.

I am not really doing back flips about anyone in this draft. It would be a good idea to push it back to pick up another 1st rounder next year.

Yes! if we can have a first for a second draft pick and that not sure we can have this !

Back
Top Bottom