WVDolphan's "Get Real" Today's subject-Physically challenged 2nd round money bargains | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WVDolphan's "Get Real" Today's subject-Physically challenged 2nd round money bargains

All great questions.... hoops, you clearly get it. Anybody can look at all the "names" of all the QB prospects that the talking heads throw out there right around draft time... pick one out, and say he's going to be good.

However, if you know what you're doing, you have to be able to decide exactly HOW good a potential QB prospect is going to be.... and exactly HOW long it's going to take him to get there. You have to be able to nail down a guy's potential... and upside. You have to be able to figure out what type of offensive system he's a fit for...

You must be able to make a case for a quarterback (a list of positives) without using a single statistic. I don't want to hear about completion percentage if you're going to talk about a quarterbacks accuracy...

I don't want to hear about his yards/attempt to determine how strong his arm is... etc...

I don't want to hear it repeated how many TD passes he threw as the reason why he should be a 1st round pick....etc..

That's not evaluating quarterbacks... that's evaluating statistics... which are all subjective.

We'll make a thread in the draft forum and we'll discuss quarterback prospects and how I view them in there... great, great questions hoops....

i look forward to said thread...

one thing we havent done since Marino left is take a high draft pick on a QB. one thing we have done over and over: try retreads and dime store QBs.
insanity is trying the same thing over and over expecting different results

the other bottom line is if by chance buffalo does get that #1 pick there's no way in gods green earth that the bills would trade that pick to a team in division and give them the ammo to draft a potential franchise qb...you want to see the bills fans revolt...give a team in division who needs a franchise qb just like you the bills do the means to come up and get the kid they want...and everyone knows that if miami did want to come up that far it wouldn't be for some position player other than qb...

the bills may in fact trade it (which i seriously doubt if lucks in the draft but hey its the bills so who knows) but they aren't about to even consider trading it in division...where the trade could torment them for the next decade plus

Collin Cowherd made the comment that Luck might tell the Bills that he won't play for them if they draft him. His logic is that Luck's family has a little bit of NFL pedigree and that Buffalo is not a very attractive place to play (and that if Jim Kelly tried to recruit/sell him he'd probably get **** blocked by Harbaugh since they're known to be fist-fighting buddies).

I think it's a bunch of nonsense, but you never know...

P.S. Some say that Luck is the most "sure thing" QB prospect since John Elway.

At the very least he has the liberty of throwing the ball to any of the receiver routes called down by Henning, even if the guy is covered. Henne chooses the check-down method instead of willing the ball to the receiver thats covered. No matter how well a guy is covered if the receiver knows his QB and the QB knows his receiver, the QB should be able to throw that ball in a place where his guy will catch it regardless of the coverage. It's a tight throw and we as fans watch it on TV and cheer the hell out of having a great QB. Personally I have never seen that from Henne.

Some seem to think that if we give Henne the rest of the year then it will be a definitive answer but it wont be. If he struggles people who like him will say fire Henning and plug in a new OC and give Henne another season to prove himself. If he lights up the second half of this season his critics will say it was fluke and lets see if he can do it for a whole season, but lets draft a 1st rd QB in case he doesn't get it done bla bla bla....... Yup I'm Psychic

as far as my opinion goes I thought Henne showed improvement last game but not enough for me to anoint him our starter. He was benched for a reason and to compound it he is nicked up too. Let him sit a week or two minimum and heal up while we get a good look at what we got in Thigpen. Thigpen lost his job and found himself on the bench as a #3 so he is hungry for this opportunity. I want to see what he does with it. If he looks bad (worse then Henne) put Henne in if he can play but if he is as good or better keep playing him until we see him peak. Henne can compete with Thigpen for his job in camp. IMO thats a healthy camp environment. Keep both of them working hard to be the best and to fight for the starter position. Everyone wants that starter money contract let them both compete for it. JMO, of course, but thats how I see this.

I do not see us looking at QB's this draft except maybe in the later rounds just as a 3rd stringer but I don't even expect them to do that. Maybe if QB prospects look good two drafts from now and neither QB looks good we might see them take a shot at one. I am going by what I hear from all of you that Luck is the only QB worth looking at in this draft and noway he falls to us. It gives this staff a good excuse to give their picks time to develop rather then dump Henne or Thigpen.

In conclusion this season is one big circle jerk for us fans, once again. I'm getting really wore out being it. I am starting to understand how it feels to be a bills fan or a lions fan where you just wallow in misery year after year. I know we are 5-4 but do any of you believe we are going to run the table from here out and get into the playoffs? I only hope now that Parcells left that Sporano becomes his own man and coaches this team to championships. What the real killer is the 4 losses we had were against our 4 arch rivals. The 4 teams we fight for wildcard postion with beat us, two of which are in our division and they beat us at home. I would feel a lot differently if we had four losses but of those 4 we at least split with those 4 teams and took 2 games from our divsion or split the division and took one from either pitt or balt.

I didn't read your post my comment was along the lines of CP10 running the two minute drill like an amatuer - running precious minutes off the clock and even calling running plays calling TOs when he could just as esaily spike the ball - many of you folks have plain out forgot 2009

"Everything" wraps it up kev... why SHOULD I present some longwinded, 14 paragraph post describing every detail that Matt Ryan executes better than Chad Henne, only to have to argue with you about it for 8 more pages, because you just DON'T get it?

From his toes to his ears, Matt Ryan does everything better than Chad Henne.... rev..

Now, what in the hell does Chad Henne do better than Matt Ryan that prompted you to take that stance to begin with? Other than he has a Dolphin on the side of his helmet.... I think that's clearly a stance that needs some backbone to it...

Shush.... the QB whisperer has written something...

Point form was just perfect TSJ... I thought there might be more objective substance

So basically Henne went to the wrong school

Wicked stuff

Cheers

Collin Cowherd made the comment that Luck might tell the Bills that he won't play for them if they draft him. His logic is that Luck's family has a little bit of NFL pedigree and that Buffalo is not a very attractive place to play (and that if Jim Kelly tried to recruit/sell him he'd probably get **** blocked by Harbaugh since they're known to be fist-fighting buddies).

I think it's a bunch of nonsense, but you never know...

P.S. Some say that Luck is the most "sure thing" QB prospect since John Elway.

i think the won't play for buffalo thing is nonsense too...good lord most sure thing prospect since elway...get ready to be in quite a bidding war if we plan to go up and get him and even then think about it guys...we're in the #15 pick range most of these other teams that are gonna want him can offer up a top 10 pick plus trump our offer in any round...

seems like wishful thinking to think we can get luck especially with no 2nd round pick to add to the package...

barring pulling a mike ditka for ricky and offering up our entire draft...which still probably wouldn't be enough with no 2nd rounder and i just don't see these guys ponying up every pick for a single player...

i think the won't play for buffalo thing is nonsense too...good lord most sure thing prospect since elway...get ready to be in quite a bidding war if we plan to go up and get him and even then think about it guys...we're in the #15 pick range most of these other teams that are gonna want him can offer up a top 10 pick plus trump our offer in any round...

seems like wishful thinking to think we can get luck especially with no 2nd round pick to add to the package...

barring pulling a mike ditka for ricky and offering up our entire draft...which still probably wouldn't be enough with no 2nd rounder and i just don't see these guys ponying up every pick for a single player...
If he's that good, I would do it in a heart beat. We are pretty strong across the board and have no obvious holes.

Back
Top Bottom