Xavien Howard hoping for healthy second season | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Xavien Howard hoping for healthy second season

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Miami Dolphins cornerback Xavien Howard says two things kept him from having his ideal rookie season: a pair of knee injuries and learning a new system of defense.

“I couldn’t get 100 percent each time,” Howard said in Tuesday of his injuries, the first of which nearly cost him the start of the season and the second, which cost him nine games midseason. Both required surgery.
http://mia.247sports.com/Bolt/Reshad-Jones-says-injury-was-hardest-part-of-his-career-52965342

Jones was dominating last year before the injury. Our defense vs. the run was significantly better with him and he did a heck of a job disrupting the offenses. When he went down, our defense really took a major step backwards. Reshad's presence alone allowed us to survive an abysmal start by an injured Byron Maxwell, injured rookie Xavien Howard, a defensive line playing the recovering Cam Wake sparingly, an invisible Mari0 Williams, an injured Earl Mitchell, and a Jordan Phillips who had no stamina to play many snaps. Plus, the worst LB corps in the NFL last year. So yeah, Reshad Jones did yeoman's work when he was in there.

After Jones went down injured, even with Maxwell healing, adjusting to the scheme, and finding his groove, we couldn't stop teams. Even when Earl Mitchell returned and Andre Branch found his groove, we couldn't stop the run. Even with the freakishly fast recovery of Cam Wake, we couldn't field a good defense. Without Reshad Jones, we simply failed as a defense. It may have been the worst year of his career ... but I think we missed him more than he missed football!

Welcome back Reshad ... you have truly been missed!

Jones was dominating last year before the injury. Our defense vs. the run was significantly better with him and he did a heck of a job disrupting the offenses. When he went down, our defense really took a major step backwards.

In the first 6 games w/ jones in the lineup we gave up an average of 147 yards rushing per game and 6 total rushing TDs. Explain again how Jones' presence made our run defense significantly better?

It's not a talent issue vs the run, gentlemen, it's a scheme problem.

In the first 6 games w/ jones in the lineup we gave up an average of 147 yards rushing per game and 6 total rushing TDs. Explain again how Jones' presence made our run defense significantly better?

LOL, just read the post you quoted man ... I explained how we had so many huge negatives working against us and how he helped cover up all that stuff. Your question was answered before it was asked ... just read it.

LOL, just read the post you quoted man ... I explained how we had so many huge negatives working against us and how he helped cover up all that stuff. Your question was answered before it was asked ... just read it.

All I saw was excuses. Injuries, new rookies and/or vets at new positions, etc. will always be prevalent and reoccurring issues.

Not a talent issue? I'm not a true believer in the scheme just yet but I also know the talent has not been up to par in order to test that theory.

DT starters: Earl Mitchell & Jordan Phillips = 81% of defensive snaps
Starting LB's: Neville Hewitt, Spencer Paysinger & Donald Butler = 91% of the snaps

Baccari Rambo replacing an injured Rashad Jones?

Now add in a washed up Mario Williams and Jason Jones and that's not gonna cut it in any scheme for any team. bla...

rushing yards allowed stats don't tell the whole story.

Miami's run defense averaged 3.3 yards per carry on the 64 run plays Misi was on field for. Averaged 5.0 yards on the 405 runs without him.

Not a large sample size but worth noting because the scheme seemed effective when Misi was active.

Not a talent issue? I'm not a true believer in the scheme just yet but I also know the talent has not been up to par in order to test that theory.

History says otherwise. Yards per carry is the true indicator for your research as it pertains to the run defending flaws of this particular front. Have at it.

History says otherwise. Yards per carry is the true indicator for your research as it pertains to the run defending flaws of this particular front. Have at it.

It can tell you that you're team wasn't very good but it doesn't tell you "why". Show me where that stat shows that a scheme is flawed.

It can tell you that you're team wasn't very good but it doesn't tell you "why". Show me where that stat shows that a scheme is flawed.

Enjoy your offseason and the overflowing optimism that comes with it.

I hope Howard has learned the defense and his injury troubles are behind him. If so, he'll make a difference.

Miami's run defense averaged 3.3 yards per carry on the 64 run plays Misi was on field for. Averaged 5.0 yards on the 405 runs without him.

Not a large sample size but worth noting because the scheme seemed effective when Misi was active.

I was going to point this out, but you beat me to it. A lot of people on this site don't like Misi, mainly because he can't stay on the field, but he is the best LB vs. run on this team. He excels at setting the edge, plus he's stout at the POA. He does a pretty good job at sniffing out short screens too. He's not a three-down back, but the run defense will improve when he's on the field.

Yeah, I forgot the abundance of talent on that defense....oh yeah, Kiko sucked, all the LBs sucks, the DB's suck, the dline sucked except for Wake and Suh, but the talent wasn't the issue at all. It is scheme, the magical 3-4 will fix all, even though that defense has come into and gone out of popularity several different times over the last 40 plus years, but yeah....

This a big year for several players on the defense. Phillips, McCain, Branch and who ever wins the Starting FS spot. But it's even bigger for Howard, who comes with so much untapped potential. "X" has a chance to totally transform the secondary, With the expected improvement over his 1st season which, as we all know, was marred by nagging injuries. If Howard makes the same type of leap in year 2, like Lippett did; this secondary COULD become really, really good. We've heard a lot about Lippett's and Howard's development over the last few weeks, but if they don't show it on Sunday's this fall, it could be a very long season. In Lippett's case it was just a matter of gaining more experience. But for Howard it is more about developing his god given talent into becoming an elite CB. I'm looking forward the these kids playing some serious ball this year.

Back
Top Bottom