Xavien Howard hoping for healthy second season | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Xavien Howard hoping for healthy second season

Schwarts' defenses haven't been involved in a postseason victory since he was DC of Tennessee in '03 with a wild card win and lost the following week in the divisional round.

Suh have never won a playoff game and has been in this defensive system his entire career.

Plenty of times a potent offense has carried a defense in the regular season. That doesn't happen in the playoffs when talent gaps are narrowed b/w the units of both teams and the focus falls back on the fundamentals of football with defense and the running for a more balanced ball control offense.

Oh okay I thought it was successful at least during the season.

Thanks brother, I appreciate your outlook

PHINS UP!!!

It's not a talent issue vs the run, gentlemen, it's a scheme problem.

That is a crazy statement. We started to DE who are unemployed by anyone this offseason, a lb and a safety that were on no ones opening day roster, a rookie cb and former WR who started his first game at cb, at times there were as many as 2-3 undrafted LBs starting.

If we don't drastically improve this year than you can talk scheme, but it's way to early to indict the coaching when we had 2nd or 3rd tier talent at so many spots.

That is a crazy statement. We started to DE who are unemployed by anyone this offseason, a lb and a safety that were on no ones opening day roster, a rookie cb and former WR who started his first game at cb, at times there were as many as 2-3 undrafted LBs starting.

If we don't drastically improve this year than you can talk scheme, but it's way to early to indict the coaching when we had 2nd or 3rd tier talent at so many spots.

I'm not talking directly about our talent related to last year. Look at the history of this scheme and specifically how and why it was developed. It wasn't meant for an every down or even every game concept. It has only had a few regular seasons of success and none in the postseason in it's full time utilization since '03 which was soon after the NFL realigned the divisions and more specifically when Indianapolis joined Tennessee ( where Schwartz was DC) to form the AFC South.

Getting rid of Bacarri Rambo was the best move this team made since dumping Dallas Thomas.

These guys aren't in pads though so outside of qb health everything else is pretty much in one ear out the other.

I never liked Earl Mitchell's play either. How he lasted this long is beyond me. Now we are counting on two 5th round rookies to replace him so....I guess we'll see how they do when pads come on. Hopefully they add a FA.

True....Guys aren't in pads and most coaches say that this is a better litmus test for DB's and WR's than it is for anyone else. I think we could end up with a pretty BA secondary this year. Gase saying Phillips was "almost impossible to block" means very little at this point but I did like when he said he was being "consistent". That was a better statement than last year.

I didn't see anybody mention this but Aikens is being tired at corner. Wasn't that his position in college?

Seems this has been happening to Aikens since he got to Miami under Philbin. (getting switched from CB to S to CB). He's so fast that coaches want to use him but he just hasn't mastered anything yet on defense. (4.37 and 4.39 at pro day) He was making big plays all over the place last camp as well as PS games. I thought the light finally came on. I thought he may be a better fit at corner in this scheme than he was under Coyle and these coaches love big corners. Not sure how he gets any playing time as deep as we are right now at corner.

Would be nice if the light finally clicked for Aikens, he has such nice tools but just hasn't looked good at all on the field. When we had him playing/starting at FS a year or two ago, that was a disaster... I want to say he was a 2nd year player at that point- and a small school, late round guy will of course take a while to develop so I don't think anyone expected him to be great, but we just need some consistency

(I miss the days of chris Clemons honestly kind of lol)

Walt Aikens is a top Special Teams player - even made it to the Pro Bowl. My read is that Gase, Burke and co are just checking him out re other potential roles on the team, given that he is active every game. His Special Teams contribution was so good last season, I doubt that they want to cut him.

Agreed on that, he was always among the first to get there on returns. Even blocked a punt and recovered it

Walk Aikens might just be one of those guys you keep around because of his special teams value, not his depth at position play. And it's OK to have some of those guys, because he was absolutely lights out on special teams. I just hope we have decent depth at Safety in case we need it. I like Michael Thomas, but we need a fourth player at safety that can actually play the position.

Walk Aikens might just be one of those guys you keep around because of his special teams value, not his depth at position play. And it's OK to have some of those guys, because he was absolutely lights out on special teams. I just hope we have decent depth at Safety in case we need it. I like Michael Thomas, but we need a fourth player at safety that can actually play the position.

Bingo, Special Teams aces are important to team's success. NE is a prime example of using specials as a way to win games. Matt Slater is a monster for them and that's all he does.

To the topic at hand.

Howard and Parker will both become stars playing against each other all summer.

I expect Howard to flat out ball.

Seems pretty obvious this team thinks x Howard can be a top 10 caliber #1 cb. They can't stop saying good things about that kid.

We are gonna be paying out some serious bank when some of these rookie contracts come up and I'm not talking about to non mission criticals but high level difference makers and that's why everyone should have an eye towards cap implications etc.

I just cannot imagine how anyone could already have rendered a guilty verdict on the new staff's defensive scheme, vision, philosophy, etc.

The dearth of talent last season was embarrassingly obvious. Paysinger was our starter in sub like 2/3 of the season for goodness sake.

I will say I am happy some younger guys got some experience. It's very valuable for Phillips, Hewitt, Hull, Fede...

Its nice to think if Misi is actually healthy, our LB corps would have that quality depth.

I just cannot imagine how anyone could already have rendered a guilty verdict on the new staff's defensive scheme, vision, philosophy, etc.

The dearth of talent last season was embarrassingly obvious. Paysinger was our starter in sub like 2/3 of the season for goodness sake.

I will say I am happy some younger guys got some experience. It's very valuable for Phillips, Hewitt, Hull, Fede...

Its nice to think if Misi is actually healthy, our LB corps would have that quality depth.

B/c it's not new and it's history speaks for itself which has nothing to do with talent, or lack thereof, concerning last year's roster.

Back
Top Bottom