You hate them but do you respect them | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

You hate them but do you respect them

kpcane said:
I don't look at rivals, because scout.com has a much more user-friendly format. But now that I looked at it, they were both 5 star recruits, that were the 3rd QB in their class (Leak was behind Kyle Wright (2) and John David Booty (1)).

You're right you don't have trophys - you don't have anything except your mouths! Miami has always been great, and though we have a disappointing season by our standards, doesn't mean it was a disappointing year overall. I mean Florida looks at a 9-3 record as "on their way back".

I don't care what conference the Gators are in - until they beat the Canes, they're just a second rate team in this state.

Speaking of running your mouth, thats all you seem to do.

kpcane said:
I'm really trying to figure out why you keep on bringing up the same points over and over...oh yeah that's because you have nothing else to say.
I'm no Larry Coker fan, but as far as him being second rate, all I have to say is, as far as national championships go, the tally is Larry Coker - 1, Urban Meyer - 0. And he's a lousy PI call away from 2. I'm not doubting Meyer, but I think it takes a lot of balls for a Florida fan to call out a coach who has won a national championship in the past 5 years.
I've acknowledged time and again that the SEC is the best conference, but you don't seem to understand that it doesn't matter what conference Miami or Florida is in, because when they play each other Miami wins, and until Florida can beat Miami, you're all talk. Highly touted recruits don't win national championships. 1 great recruiting class doesn't lift you above second rate status. I really don't care about Florida because they've always been so irrelevant, but I'll watch the game in '08. Can't say that I'm more excited about that game than the OU game, but I'm sure it'll be entertaining, just like the 2004 Peach Bowl.

Then why are your panties in such a bunch because Gator fans don't care about the Canes? You make no sense.

papafin said:
I fully realize the extent of UM's reputation. The truth is, everyone hates a winner. Miami built their mystique on the pretense of being the badboys of college football. Those days, however, are long gone. Everyone loves to cast stones at Willie Williams, but the fact is that he's been in zero trouble since stepping foot on campus at Coral Gables. Coker and company took a big risk of damaging the school's reputation that Butch worked years to rebuild by signing Williams. It was a leap of faith, but the kid (so far) has done nothing to prove they made a bad decision.

Anyway, the point of the original post was to point out that OU was as renegade as ANYONE (if not moreso) during the '80's. Steroids, guns, drugs, you name it and it was happening in Norman. In fact, OU AND UM were generally grouped together as the "black hats" of college football in those days. OU got a small head start on UM in cleaning up their act, but they were no less "thuggish" in the heyday.

The biggest difference in the two programs (image-wise) was the scheduling. As an upstart (independent at that), Miami had to schedule a very national group of opponents to build their lore. OU was an established powerhouse who played in a power conference. Miami built legions of anti-fans through their games with the likes of ND, PSU, OU, Alababa, etc. People didn't want to see these "thugs" taking it to the traditional powers-that-be. The 8 year span between '83 and '91 (UM won 4 national championships) saw the national hatred for UM skyrocket. College football traditionalists hated them as much for the winning as the thuggery, and it was a lasting hate. The proof is in the pudding. People still hate Miami and refer to them as thugs, even though they've been as clean as any top notch program for 10 years now.

I know you're a young dude, but you seem pretty knowledgeable. Sorry for being long-winded, but I live in OKC and deal with uninformed Sooner fans on a daily basis, so I get a bit defensive about the subject. Also, I'm not inferring that you're uninformed, just that there is a cross section of Sooner fans (as there is with every fan base) who are, and live in close proximity to me.

Hope some of that made some sense to you.

oh yea Im well aware of the 80s when that whole rape scandal went around Norman, im sure every school (even the Golden Domers of Notre Dame) have skeletons in their closet, but thank you for your input, I try to be as unbiased as possible wehn on the boards, now with that info I wont sound like an idiot, thank you :D

SpeedRush99 said:
Speaking of running your mouth, thats all you seem to do.

5 national championships in the past 25 years back me up. It's not running your mouth when you actually have a basis for your talking. I'm not stupid enough to think one recruiting class is going to turn around a football program.

SpeedRush99 said:
Then why are your panties in such a bunch because Gator fans don't care about the Canes? You make no sense.

I get angry with stupid people...that's why.

SpeedRush99 said:
:boohoo:
Georgia Tech was ranked? Why are you so concerned about Gator fans not caring about your Canes? Most competent Cane fans here would agree that until you get rid of Coker your going no where. Your the one who started the trash talking just cause we don't care about your Canes. Get over it.

You're right Ga Tech wasn't ranked, but we weren't the only team that Ga Tech beat either, unlike South Carolina who didn't beat anybody except Florida.

You can see from my signature who I want as the coach, but Coker took us to 2 national championship games, and it wasn't his fault we lost the 2nd one. He hasn't done it in the ACC yet, but I think this might be the year. We'll win the ACC, I just don't know if we can win every game and go the NC game.

kpcane said:
5 national championships in the past 25 years back me up. It's not running your mouth when you actually have a basis for your talking. I'm not stupid enough to think one recruiting class is going to turn around a football program.

Where did I ever say that?

kpcane said:

Real mature. So people that don't share your opinion are stupid?

As a Univ. of Colorado alum I respect the Nebraska Cornhuskers who we always play the Friday after Thanksgiving, even though I hate them, this has been one of the best rivalries since about 1990.

GO BUFFS.

kpcane said:

So if someone does not agree with what you say than they are stupid? Hmmm very interesting to know that someone else can't have an Opinion without being stupid.

kpcane said:
You're right Ga Tech wasn't ranked, but we weren't the only team that Ga Tech beat either, unlike South Carolina who didn't beat anybody except Florida.

You can see from my signature who I want as the coach, but Coker took us to 2 national championship games, and it wasn't his fault we lost the 2nd one. He hasn't done it in the ACC yet, but I think this might be the year. We'll win the ACC, I just don't know if we can win every game and go the NC game.

South Carolina did beat TN and came closer to beating GA Bulldogs than the GA Tech did. You kept telling me bringing up games like this did not matter so why do you do it? :confused:

Georgia Tech is a better team than South Carolina though

Im not taking anything away from Florida, but Georgia Tech has a very good defense and a Monster Reciever in Calvin Johnson, and a decent QB in Reggie Ball

kpcane said:

So because you were good in the past that makes you good now? Or do you just get to run your mouth? Florida Gators might not have the tradition that the Hurricans do, But does that mean we should not be fans of them? I am sorry if I am not a bandwagon jumper and go to every team that wins a National title. We are almost always one of the better recruiting classes in the country. Excuse us Gator fans for being excited about the new players coming to our school. We don't need a turn around because we are already a good football team. Like I keep saying we will see in 08!!

Alex22 said:
Georgia Tech is a better team than South Carolina though

Im not taking anything away from Florida, but Georgia Tech has a very good defense and a Monster Reciever in Calvin Johnson, and a decent QB in Reggie Ball

I would say the same. I would also say tha GA Tech was a better team. Calvin Johnson is probably the best WR in the country.

SpeedRush99 said:
Where did I ever say that?

Then please tell me why UF is on the rise, and UM is on the decline while being objective.

Back
Top Bottom