Zach Extension Not Looking Promising (merged w/other Zach threads) | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zach Extension Not Looking Promising (merged w/other Zach threads)

Honestly, I don't believe the DTs need to be in a more aggresive scheme. We're pretty damn solid against the run this way (we were 5th in the league). Nobody was able to run inside on us this year. That meant trying your luck outside. And that's what the scheme is designed for: Holding blockers up front and forcing plays to the outside......where the speedy LBs can make the plays. And it worked. Very similar to what the 2000 Ravens did.

And like the Ravens, we've got two big/strong boys inside who aren't the greatest pass rushers in the world. Siragusa and Adams simply used brute strength to collapse the pocket (when they were able to). But it wasn't that often and they combined for only 2 sacks that year.

The scheme was very similar to ours. The difference between us and the Ravens was the LB corps. The Ravens had 3 outstanding LBs to our 1. What we need to do is get back to the days of "The Swarm". We've got even better personel up front than "The Swarm". We've simply got to improve the OLBs first.

If you look at the Top 5 rush defenses, you'll see that 4 out of 6 (we tied with Tampa Bay) have people who occupy blockers up front and allow LBs to make plays.

Pittsburgh (3-4)
Tennessee (Haynesworth, Thornton...moving towards Tampa-like scheme)
Oakland (Adams/Parrella)
Denver (Pryce/McGlockton/Dalton)
Miami
Tampa Bay (Aggressive, but constant presence of Lynch in the box)

Muck that goes to the heart of the debate about our D, i.e. from Ask Andy (http://www.miamidolphins.com/interactive/qalive/qalive.asp ) :
Q. Andy, with many defensive Dolphins showcasing their talents at the Pro-Bowl, it's not a wonder how upset the players and fans were with the defensive formations during the past season. Does Mr. Bates recognize the need for some changes or are we just getting more lip service? Thanks for answering my question. Chad

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A. No lip service. I believe it's clear to the coaching staff that, despite the high ranking of the defense, some changes need to be made.I think you'll see changes at at least one outside linebacker spot, at the nickel cornerback spot and, yes, perhaps at safety. I think Arturo Freeman was asked to do too much last season considering his lack of experience. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Dolphins bring in another veteran safety to compete with Freeman. As for Marion, he is still under contract and I expect him to be back.
Andy's answer is textbook Phins mgtment - it is the players fault...Somehow 6 players on the PB roster states otherwise. I still believe we need a far more sophisticated D that can play man or zone. That can rush 4 or blitz LBs and S. We need to keep any decent O off-balance. Our scheme on D basically states that if we get the best 11 players in the league out there, we will be the best - well that is totally unrealistic w/the cap; we may even have had the best or 2nd best talent on D last year and it got us nowhere. Now as much as think the passing game is to blame, too; we need to look at coaching even harder than personnel and I know that is not happening :angry:

Originally posted by Unconquered
I don't know anyone that makes 166 large per year. I would not take a pay cut...but then again I make 33 grand per year. If I made 5 million and have been for several years and I was asked to take a pay cut that would still pay me millions on top of the millions I already have to help my team win the biggest game on the planet...I think I would do it. Just my $.02

This is not in anyway an anti-Zack thing, but really applies to any player that's trying to get big $$$ that I think they lose sight of a little.

The whole 166 grand/yr thing is just a means of keeping it within reach. OK, for anyone fortunate enough to make 166Gs, that is pretty damn good in anybodys' book. If you make that for your working life of say 30 years, that means that you will have made $4,980,000 during your entire working life! That's 20 grand less than Zack will make this next year alone. But most of us poor bastards make less than 1/3 of that so that even makes it more interesting. Of course I'm just using Zack as an example and would be totally shocked if he pulled one of these greedy trips on us, but i've had litle patience with any of these greedy so-called team players who hold out for the moon etc. That's all I have to say about it.

DD...............................................................

You know I agree, 39. Bates is the Anti-Christ. Run-wise, we're set. We stop the run. The adjustment needs to be made in pass defense.......and when someone gets hurt (i.e.....adjust the D to cover your weaknesses).

The whole "11 best players" is just not possible in today's NFL. Not with the salary cap. Hell, even without a salary cap, it's still poor coaching.

Bates can't win with this crowd. For his first two seasons he gets scrutinized for sacrificing run defense for pass defense....using the safeties exclusively in coverage and trusting the front 7 to run defense (they couldn't handle it). This year we get great run defense outta the front 7 and do basically all the same things we've been doin, and Bates is the anti-christ for his inability to run a good pass defense.

He's the Anti-Christ because he allows teams to attack us at will. He refuses to put wrinkles in the defense. He refuses to adjust when we're being picked apart. And for 3 years, he's used the same two blitzes. How many times do we have to see our best cover/worst blitzing LB (Zach Thomas) be taken out of a play on that middle blitz on 3rd and 7 before he actually figures out that it doesn't work?? How many times does Sam Madison have to beg to cover Marvin Harrison while Jamar Fletcher is being torched??

I'm not saying, "We should blitz all the time" or "The safety should be up all the time". I'm just saying that we should come out of our base defense once in a while and actually attempt to confuse an offense. I want us to stop calling plays in the 4th quarter that haven't worked in the first 3. I want him to stop blitzing Zach up the middle in the 4th quarter when we're getting picked apart by inferior teams with the division/bye week on the line. I want him to add some chocolate sprinkles to that vanilla defense.

The fact is, we've gotten by with superior talent the last few years. It's gotten us to the playoffs every year except the year we were most talented and healthy.

Now the salary cap says that it's time to adjust. Time to put away the stubborn pride and put your allstars in position to kick ass.

Who's more likely to blame here??

A defense with 6 Pro Bowlers.
A beleagured DC who's heard the same complaints and catcalls for 3 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
<<Exactly conquered. Besides, what is Zach going to do with that extra cash anyways? Lol, I mean he would like extra money, but to make his team better which is what he is complaining about?>>

And what makes it worse is that I think Zach's parents are millionaires by some oil drilling business they own in Texas.

If he doesn't want to sign an extension to help the team, then screw him, he's no better than what DG was. Cut his ass, save us roughly $3 mill & go after Takeo who's just as good & 3 years younger or Claiborne. He talks about how he wants to win in Miami, well time is running out.

This is all going to work out folks. Those of you who are using this salary squabble to find fault in Zachs character or leadership (or skills for that matter) will feel foolish after this is all resolved.

Just be patient.....

Originally posted by Surferosa
This is all going to work out folks. Those of you who are using this salary squabble to find fault in Zachs character or leadership (or skills for that matter) will feel foolish after this is all resolved.

Just be patient.....

Amen!

What do you guys think his salary for this year will be cut by? 2.5M?

Who's more likely to blame here??

A defense with 6 Pro Bowlers.
A beleagured DC who's heard the same complaints and catcalls for 3 years. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, Muck, the way i see it is that our D with 6 probowlers is good enought to allow our severely undercharged O to usually get an early decent lead but falls apart in the 2nd half when the "plan" has been changed up. So I don't put them blame on them.
Our DC who doesn't or can't come up with any new wrinkles could be a likely culprit. Partly at least.
But i lay most of the blame on our HC. he is a D oriented type anyway so it should come easier for him. If our schemes aren't working then he should be telling Bates to change things up or else hit the road. But he has elected to do neither. He has the power in his own decisions for changes to happen as it is his ultimate responsibilty.

DD.........................................

Back
Top Bottom