ZERO Separation | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ZERO Separation

K-Rob

Go Fish!
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I don’t have enough football knowledge to know the answer to this. Can someone help understand why our receivers constantly have defenders right in their pockets? From my limited point or view, it appears as if it’s it’s bad (predictable) play calling. They know every route we’re going to run. But, could it be bad route running? Tua projecting the throws? Or is it simply knowing that our o-line can’t hold anyone anyway so simply jump on routes within 2 seconds and you’ll have a good chance or defending a pass?

I mean…Waddle is known for his speed and even he had someone glued to his hip all game. I know “open in college is different than open in the NFL” but, seriously, where is the ball supposed to go when there is zero separation? So frustrating. Especially when we see Beasly running around the field like he’s being ignored.

I genuinely believe it's the positional coaching, route trees and overall design of the plays. Beasley is sprinting all the way across the field (horizontally) which is nearly impossible to guard if a QB has 4+ seconds to throw. You don't see anything like that in our offense. How many replays have you seen this year where 2 Mia WR are in the same basic spot when something bad happens (INT, tipped ball, drop, etc)? There is no flow whatsoever to Miami's offense, and they have 3 skill guys that most teams would love to have on their roster (Waddle, Geiseki, Parker), in addition to 2 RB's who are very dangerous in space on bubbles and wheel routes. I am in favor of only keeping Waddle and Geisiki after this year (and I mean literally none of the other skill players), along with Tua, and finding positional coaches (OL, WR) along with a WAY better OC, and see what happens. You also have a fortune to spend with the Cap if we don't panic and trade for Watson (which would just be lipstick on this pig without getting new coaches).

I don’t have enough football knowledge to know the answer to this. Can someone help understand why our receivers constantly have defenders right in their pockets? From my limited point or view, it appears as if it’s it’s bad (predictable) play calling. They know every route we’re going to run. But, could it be bad route running? Tua projecting the throws? Or is it simply knowing that our o-line can’t hold anyone anyway so simply jump on routes within 2 seconds and you’ll have a good chance or defending a pass?

I mean…Waddle is known for his speed and even he had someone glued to his hip all game. I know “open in college is different than open in the NFL” but, seriously, where is the ball supposed to go when there is zero separation? So frustrating. Especially when we see Beasly running around the field like he’s being ignored.

I think part of the problem, not all of it, stems to the OL issues. Tua having to get the ball out so quick, he's one of the fastest in the league, doesn't give the receivers a whole lot of time to create that separation.

I genuinely believe it's the positional coaching, route trees and overall design of the plays. Beasley is sprinting all the way across the field (horizontally) which is nearly impossible to guard if a QB has 4+ seconds to throw. You don't see anything like that in our offense. How many replays have you seen this year where 2 Mia WR are in the same basic spot when something bad happens (INT, tipped ball, drop, etc)? There is no flow whatsoever to Miami's offense, and they have 3 skill guys that most teams would love to have on their roster (Waddle, Geiseki, Parker), in addition to 2 RB's who are very dangerous in space on bubbles and wheel routes. I am in favor of only keeping Waddle and Geisiki after this year (and I mean literally none of the other skill players), along with Tua, and finding positional coaches (OL, WR) along with a WAY better OC, and see what happens. You also have a fortune to spend with the Cap if we don't panic and trade for Watson (which would just be lipstick on this pig without getting new coaches).
The receivers being in the same spot has been a huge hangup for me and why I believe most of our issues are with the coaching staff. Watching other teams' staff being praised for their game plan and play designs, while everyone is questioning what in the world we are attempting to do on offense, just frustrates me. Just once I would like to hear an announcer say, "that was a well designed play" while we are on offense.

I'll be honest this year I'm halfway checked out so I don't know the routes each (healthy) WR runs but defense watches tons of tape. You can be glued to a guy like Waddle if you notice Waddle only running 3 routes. Especially if the routes don't stretch the field.

Feels like our duo of OCs are using the Madden playbook for the Dolphins.

You also have a fortune to spend with the Cap if we don't panic and trade for Watson (which would just be lipstick on this pig without getting new coaches).
Yes we have lots of cap space, but I'm done with Grier buying the groceries. I don't want to mortgage the cap situation, draft capital and the integrity of the franchise with Watson (until he is proven innocent)

It all starts in the trenches. Our O-line can not give our QB and receivers time to develop longer pass plays. We have non-existent running game so we become one-dimensional.

Even with our best defensive performance, did you see the amount of time Allen had in the pocket? Did you see how much space he had in the pocket? Until the trenches get fixed we can not judge another other player including Tua.

Back
Top Bottom