ZERO Separation | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ZERO Separation

No time to throw - ball has to come out faster than it should. No time to develop.
At some point the coaches need to say to themselves “well the other crap isn’t working so might as well try.”

I don’t care if we take 20 sacks a game at this point. Start trying to air it out. If it doesn’t work what’s the worst that could happen, we lose 7 straight games?

The players don't even know where to line up... let alone how to get separation.

I have no idea how that offence is being run - or even by whom - but I do know that I have never seen a team have two illegal shift penalties in a half before. Nor have I ever seen a play where a motioning receiver is screaming at another guy to get set in the right place so he can begin his motion, only to have the ball snapped into his chest creating a turnover. Those three things happened in the same half of a game.

This isn't a vanilla problem where we're failing to scheme advantages or mismatches... We're consistently making errors that wouldn't be acceptable for a high school team.

I cannot believe nothing has changed. This is beyond fixing with stern words or a 'good week of practice'. The culture and leadership needs a stepped change. I don't know who any one of us would look to in the building to provide that.

Two offensive coordinators... FFS.

I don’t have enough football knowledge to know the answer to this. Can someone help understand why our receivers constantly have defenders right in their pockets? From my limited point or view, it appears as if it’s it’s bad (predictable) play calling. They know every route we’re going to run. But, could it be bad route running? Tua projecting the throws? Or is it simply knowing that our o-line can’t hold anyone anyway so simply jump on routes within 2 seconds and you’ll have a good chance or defending a pass?

I mean…Waddle is known for his speed and even he had someone glued to his hip all game. I know “open in college is different than open in the NFL” but, seriously, where is the ball supposed to go when there is zero separation? So frustrating. Especially when we see Beasly running around the field like he’s being ignored.
I was seeing the same especially the down the field stuff. Every catch is contested. Even Waddle with his speed is wearing guys like drapes. Then I watch highlights of other teams and slow pokes are getting wide open.

My opinion is its all pass protection. Our QB’s do not have time to let defensive coverage mistakes occur or the QB will be sacrificed. The OLINE is the absolute worst position group in the NFL. I’m far from an expert either but even when it seems like the offensive line “plays well” I feel more like Miami is scheming around it.

It's really apparent when you watch somebody like Cee Dee Lamb just get 5 yards of separation on every route. Sure, he's a stud, but you can see the DB's having to respect the area beyond short to intermediate areas of the field because the Cowboys run the ball and also push it down the field in the air. Even when the inimitable Cooper Rush is the QB. You gonna tell me Tua can't make those throws Rush was making, probably with way better ball placement ? Only thing we're missing is the killer o-line, two headed rushing attack, imaginative coaching and the defense doing their part. Oh, yeah, maybe if everybody knew the frigging play that was being called and the snap count that would help too. Horrific coaching and our General (Mis)Manager have lead us to this nadir, time to clean house immediamente.

We only have like 3 route designs for passing plays. Half the time Tua seems to have been told to snap and quickly look to the right or left and throw a 2 to 3 yard slant or screen. Beyond frustrating. Take the kid gloves off.

We only have like 3 route designs for passing plays. Half the time Tua seems to have been told to snap and quickly look to the right or left and throw a 2 to 3 yard slant or screen. Beyond frustrating. Take the kid gloves off.
Agreed, coaches are doing him no favors. But on the same token, Tua needs to take some responsibility himself. Just because the play calls for your first read to be a dump off doesn’t mean you can’t try to look deep first. Just because the coach calls a crap play doesn’t mean you can’t audible. Take the initiative, if nothing else the players will respect you for it.

I remember last week or the week before there was a play where all 4 wideouts ran an 8 yard curl right in front of the line to gain.

Agreed, coaches are doing him no favors. But on the same token, Tua needs to take some responsibility himself. Just because the play calls for your first read to be a dump off doesn’t mean you can’t try to look deep first. Just because the coach calls a crap play doesn’t mean you can’t audible. Take the initiative, if nothing else the players will respect you for it.
It's true. For me though, I see that's where the problem with not much time to throw on most plays comes in too.
Wonder if they even tell him he is "allowed" to call audibles?

I'll be honest this year I'm halfway checked out so I don't know the routes each (healthy) WR runs but defense watches tons of tape. You can be glued to a guy like Waddle if you notice Waddle only running 3 routes. Especially if the routes don't stretch the field.

Feels like our duo of OCs are using the Madden playbook for the Dolphins.
The Madden playbook for the dolphins has more deep routes than the actual playbook does

Our lack of running game also plays a part in this…safeties and linebackers don’t have to respect the running game so they can sit back and cover more….play action opens up a lot of deep routes and well…we can’t do that with our running game

It's true. For me though, I see that's where the problem with not much time to throw on most plays comes in too.
Wonder if they even tell him he is "allowed" to call audibles?
Yah the o line definitely hurts our ability. Which is why I certainly don’t expect us to look like the Rams offense and be just flinging it all over the field. But there’s a lot of room in between that and what we’ve been seeing for 8 straight weeks, which is almost 0 attempt at pushing the ball down field.

IMO, there were a bunch of things in play vs. the Bills in this regard. The Dolphins' run game doesn't scare anybody, and the Bills did not need to crowd the box, even on obvious running downs. They played a lot of cover two, with two high safeties (two of the best in the league, btw), so if a WR got 10 yards beyond the LOS, they were immediately into double coverage. The corners played pretty close to press man, which took away a lot of the short routes. Both starting LBs (Milano, and Edmunds) are exceptional in coverage, so even Tua's checkdowns were often covered.

And after Waddle, Parker, and Gisecki, do the Dolphins have a serious receiving threat? For the most part, the Bills had a four-man pass rush with one LB (Tremaine Edmunds) in the box. That leaves six defenders, often in disguised coverage, that Tua had a hard time accounting for.

I also noticed Tua staring down his receivers frequently. That gives defenders in coverage a huge advantage-- especially ball hawks like Tre White, Taron Johnson, and Jordan Poyer. It gives them a chance to cut the route. If Tua sees it happening, then there's nowhere for him to throw, even as accurate as he is. I'm honestly surprised the Bills didn't get more interceptions.

Terrible oline, average recievers with 0 threat to beat anyone deep, no running game, and poor coaching that has to try to scheme for all of the above. I wonder if any OC worth a dime would want to hang his reputation on this group.

Too me it looked like Buffalo had Tre White on Waddle the entire game. That is a tough draw for the top WRS in the league let alone a Rookie drawing that coverage assignment.

Back
Top Bottom