Zim’s Grade For The Off-Season : Ummmmmm…The Off-Season Edition? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Grade For The Off-Season : Ummmmmm…The Off-Season Edition?

DZimmer000

BJJ Black Belt
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Well…. With the draft being over… It’s now time to grade my arch nemesis Chris Grier on how’s he’s done since we last gathered for a grades post (January 10th). Please know this up front….I will NOT be kind to Mr. Grier. If that in some way offends you….Please do not read any further. With that…..Let’s get into the Grade.

Front Office Grade (Chris Grier) — B+ : Yes...I know….There isn’t much to dislike this off-season. And this is as harsh a grade as I could give. I dislike Grier intensely, and up until this off-season, I’ve wanted him gone. However, there is no way to rip him this year. I’ll go into the specifics later….But the reason for the B+ and not an A was the draft and not filling the void at Center. I really didn’t like two of his 4 picks. But to be honest….Besides Tindall…. Will any of the other 3 even make the team? The void at Center might get filled as we have time and cap-space. So if that happens, this moves to an A - . Let’s look at the major moves:

• Hiring Mike McDaniel — A : I was really into us possibly getting Harbaugh. While that didn’t happen for various reasons, getting McDaniel seems to have been a great consolation prize. My only concern (If there is one) is a potential lack of discipline. But right now, I see guys having fun and enjoying their work. That has to count for something. If Coach McD if half the genius everyone says he is, we’re in good shape. McDaniel keeping the defense intact from last year is also VERY encouraging.

• Free Agency — B +: A nice haul was had with our cap space. Very Impressive. I love the adds on the OL. My only problem is we haven’t grabbed a Center yet. The RB’s are quick and speed is the theme this off-season. I like the Cedrick Wilson signing. If we manage to pull off signing a center…This definitely goes to an A -.

• The Trade — A : What can I say. We picked up the ultimate Buffalo Bill Killer and didn’t touch any of our assets for next year. This is brilliant by Grier. Yes, it cost us a lot and draft day wasn’t fun this year. BUT…. This wasn’t that strong of a draft anyway and getting Hill easily makes us one of the more dangerous teams in the AFC. This trade might be Grier’s best work yet.

• The Draft — B : Yes, This is nit-picking. I loved the Tindall pick. Again…Grier picked an off-season theme and stuck with it. Speed. Tindall will be all over Josh Allen this year. I loved the Cameron Goode pick. He was a huge sleeper for a lot of draft guys on the internet. I didn’t like the Ezukanma pick at all. Was he really the BPA there at 125? I don’t think so. I HATED the Thompson pick. Just stupid. He has little to no chance of making the team. Furthermore, I wasn’t impressed with his tape. Regardless, the 1 draft gem we have is Tindall. Let’s hope he is as good as I think he’ll be.
The wrap up is this: We are now a VERY serious contender in the AFC and if Tua can be the QB I think he can, we’re in the playoffs for sure this year. The great thing about what Grier has done is we have insurance going into a very QB heavy draft in 2023. If Tua isn’t good….We trade up next year. That’s thinking ahead. I’m not sure how you can dislike that. As with every team, these moves look good on paper…But how will they play out come September? We’ll see. But you gotta like the way we’re set up. Nice Job Mr. Grier.

Is Stroud the consensus top QB next yr? Young is barely 6" so seems like another slight QB. What other QB prospects are coming out next yr?

Is Stroud the consensus top QB next yr? Young is barely 6" so seems like another slight QB. What other QB prospects are coming out next yr?
I think he is closer to like 6'3 actually. Besides him, I think that Levis kid from Kentucky will be pretty touted also. Of course though, if Tua does what we hope we can than this whole thing is moot.

I don't think Stroud is consensus top - I think it's debatable w/ Young - I think Young is a stud that's close to can't miss - but obviously that's debatable. There are a couple wild cards in how Rattler does at South Carolina and Richardson at UF is a ridiculous athlete - just depends if he puts it all together

I'd give Grier an A- to an A for the offseason. Obviously you hit on all the important points. Purely from a fan perspective though how much more are we excited for the year now than we were in January? It's pretty incredible really!!!!

Here's a nice article with next years prospects.

I'm gonna wait to dive into qb prospects until its obvious we do or don't need one.

I do have to say I sure do Like watching Levi Wallace from Kentucky, but if were shopping it will be fun to stack these qb's.

we also might have free agent options like Brady and Rodgers if Tua doesn't work out.

Here's a nice article with next years prospects.

Confused High Quality GIF

• Free Agency — B +: A nice haul was had with our cap space. Very Impressive. I love the adds on the OL. My only problem is we haven’t grabbed a Center yet. The RB’s are quick and speed is the theme this off-season. I like the Cedrick Wilson signing. If we manage to pull off signing a center…This definitely goes to an A -.
I have a friend who I play touch football with who is a massive Cowboys fan. He is absolutely pissed the Cowboys let Wilson go, he thinks he might be better than Lamb

Great writeup.

I believe Tom was available when Miami drafted Ezukanma. That's who I wanted. But I also think the Dolphins receiver room after Hill, Waddle and Wilson is pretty thin. So, I can understand the pick.

I think the organization likes Deiter at center and Williams has some experience at the position. Maybe the team is in better shape there than we think?

Hill is virtually uncoverable. Armstead is a top five LT, Williams and Wilson are starters. Edmunds and Mostert are upgrades ar running back.

Nice offseason for Grier.

This off-season has made me question a lot of our moves since Grier took over as GM. It honestly seems like he tries to get the guys McDaniel wants. It makes you wonder how much influence Gase and Flores had in making him look incompetent outside of trades and contract structuring. The 2020 draft in particular was a nightmare of reaches (despite landing decent players later). Will have to wait to see how this season plays out.

I know im a gator homer and I hope to god Tua is the guy. If not, keep your eye on Anthony Richardson from UF, guy is a freak athlete with an amazing arm. Honestly one of the few dual threat guys where his actual passing ability is as good as his running ability. He could be real special this year, needs to mature slightly but the talent is there.

Back
Top Bottom