Zim’s Grade For The Off-Season : Ummmmmm…The Off-Season Edition? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Grade For The Off-Season : Ummmmmm…The Off-Season Edition?

This off-season has made me question a lot of our moves since Grier took over as GM. It honestly seems like he tries to get the guys McDaniel wants. It makes you wonder how much influence Gase and Flores had in making him look incompetent outside of trades and contract structuring. The 2020 draft in particular was a nightmare of reaches (despite landing decent players later). Will have to wait to see how this season plays out.

It really does seem that Grier allows coaches to strongly influence his decisions, or at the very least he allowed Flores to. His draft style has completely shifted since McDaniels has been his co-conspirator

Confused High Quality GIF
lol sorry guys..

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/early-look-at-2023-nfl-draft-qb-prospects-bryce-young-cj-stroud/

I love Wilson, but if your friend thinks he might be better than Lamb, he’s not too bright.
I don't know, I tend to look at diehards of other teams as "experts", not the media, general fans or fantasy experts. As Dolphins fans we know that very well. He just said he was under utilized and has great potential, also does a lot of gadget plays

This off-season has made me question a lot of our moves since Grier took over as GM. It honestly seems like he tries to get the guys McDaniel wants. It makes you wonder how much influence Gase and Flores had in making him look incompetent outside of trades and contract structuring. The 2020 draft in particular was a nightmare of reaches (despite landing decent players later). Will have to wait to see how this season plays out.
I think Tannebaum was likely giving Gase what he wanted while they were both in Miami. I think Grier was GM in name only when Tannebaum was ruining the Dolphins.

I do agree that Grier worked closely with Flores and now MCDaniel in drafting and signing free agents that both these head coaches want.

Personally I think Grier has done a great job getting the players to rebuild the defense while Flores was here and he has now seemed to give McDaniel the type of players he wants to rebuild the offense.

The only glaring mistake I see in the 2020 draft was selecting Iggy in the first round. Tua will prove this coming season that he was the right pick and Jackson was selected in the middle of the first round. Exactly where almost every mock draft had him listed prior to the 2020 draft.

I think Tannebaum was likely giving Gase what he wanted while they were both in Miami. I think Grier was GM in name only when Tannebaum was ruining the Dolphins.

I do agree that Grier worked closely with Flores and now MCDaniel in drafting and signing free agents that both these head coaches want.

Personally I think Grier has done a great job getting the players to rebuild the defense while Flores was here and he has now seemed to give McDaniel the type of players he wants to rebuild the offense.

The only glaring mistake I see in the 2020 draft was selecting Iggy in the first round. Tua will prove this coming season that he was the right pick and Jackson was selected in the middle of the first round. Exactly where almost every mock draft had him listed prior to the 2020 draft.
That 2020 draft is looking so strange right now. You could easily make an argument that there are more impactful players from the second round than what was chosen in the first round

I've been a Grier backer for quite some time now. I think the nay-sayers have missed the boat on just how many (most) of his last 4 years worth of picks are succeeding somewhere in the NFL. His hits to miss ratio has been very high.
That said, i REALLY liked this year's offseason. It was the best offseason I've EVER seen by a Miami GM, and I've been a fan since '70 or so.

Kiper is said to like the over on 6.5 QB's going in the first round of 2023. That's a lot.
That will mean the Dolphins will have the opportunity to get a better player at other areas of need on their roster. Because I don’t see the QB position an area of need for the Dolphins for at least another decade.

Kiper is said to like the over on 6.5 QB's going in the first round of 2023. That's a lot.
Almost every year we see QBs rise as they get their opportunity. Many times, a guy will absolutely stun in his first (and only) season as starter.
If we get even one or two of those this year, this could be a Marino year type of QB draft.

Richardson is a major talent but extremely raw, needs a good season or two at the D-1 level before we can talk NFL ready.

That 2020 draft is looking so strange right now. You could easily make an argument that there are more impactful players from the second round than what was chosen in the first round
Hindsight is always 20/20. I happen to be one of those individuals who thinks Tua was still the right pick. I don’t see Herbert having any more success with the Dolphins the last two years than Tua had. I believe with the new coaching staff and the added talent on offense, Tua is going to have a great 2023 season.

Jackson was listed as one of the top tackles in the 2020 draft and he was expected to be drafted in the middle of the first round. He was also expected to be a young player who would take a couple of years to develop and not a player who was likely ready to come in and start immediately. Unfortunately for him, the OL was so bad, he was forced into the lineup before he was ready and the lack of a quality OL coach certainly hampered his development, as it did the other young offensive linemen.

Hopefuly with better coaching and 2 years in the league, he will finally develop into a better player in 2022. If not, they will just have to use a first round pick in 2023 to draft another tackle.

Iggy was a terrible first round pick but I believe that was the player Flores wanted and Grier went along with what his HC wanted with that 3rd pick in the first round. That was the only mistake I saw in the first round of that draft at the time of the draft.

Not going to lie I was on the Harbaugh train as well, I was blinded by his past accomplishments with San Fran and previous NFL HC stint, that I went tunnel vision mode.
But after reading about McD and his history I started to make that leap onto his train, even with no HC background. His demeanor and able to coach up players and talk to them like human beings felt perfect for this team, even more so than Harbaugh.
It was McD over everyone else they were looking at even Daboll.
I hope McD shows he’s the HC this teams needed for decades he’s got the attitude and charisma to be a great leader.

I absolutely adored this HC hire.

That will mean the Dolphins will have the opportunity to get a better player at other areas of need on their roster. Because I don’t see the QB position an area of need for the Dolphins for at least another decade.
Exactly. Unless of course disaster strikes. But if the 2023 QB draft class is as deep as people are saying; coupled with another outstanding WR class, Yes good players will fall to Miami at both spots in the 1st round.

Back
Top Bottom